Old 05-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
2004 25' Safari
Williamsburg , Virginia
Another vote for Colonial. AS of Virginia is 50 miles from us, and I would still consider Colonial my dealership.

AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #44
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well, it wasn't Colonial when we got our first AS, but the Service was exceptional, now it is and the Service is even better.
They have always been very willing to help even though we never bought an AS from them.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi

That's been my experience at a handful of dealers around the country. It doesn't matter if you bought from them or not. They are there to help. Indeed I have wound up buying this or that from them as a result.

Unfortunately there *are* dealers that are ... umm ... not so helpful. I wish that was not the case. They have *not* received any of my hard earned cash. A couple of them have .... ummm ..... experienced an angry Uncle Bob as a result of their inability to "be helpful".

The dealer you pick matters. It matters a lot.

Bob

uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Ocean View , Delaware
Colonial Airstream

I wholeheartedly endorse buying from Colonial. We purchased our 2007 Classic 27FB from them in the fall of 2006 and last Nov. traded it back to them on our Classic 33.

The orientation tour of both purchases was outstanding and incredibly informative. Every member of the Colonial team makes one feel special.

To illustrate the "above and beyond" nature of how they conduct business, our 2018 Classic was built with the old style projector with all it's connectivity issues. Before Colonial would deliver it to us, the replaced that projector with the current LG projector being installed on the 2019 units. Proactive service to be sure.

You will not make a mistake dealing with Patrick, David and their teams.
chickenrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #46

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Virginia
Article published today

This is the same dealership that owns Airstream of Virginia (article published yesterday in the local Richmond paper):

https://www.wric.com/news/8-investigates/customers-bemoan-rv-company-s-failure-to-communicate-i-have-no-faith-in-them-/1992348451?fbclid=IwAR3RzkwOqDgqx-kFM42qISBAYhWJbnmN04BSMa5Rz5lZqFiEu2s-wGK18Jw
SEWandSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A better link maybe?

https://www.wric.com/news/8-investig...FiEu2s-wGK18Jw

Thanks for the heads up.

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Are we there yet?? Did the OP purchase from Patrick and the Colonial folks? Time's a wastin...get that AS and get on the road and start enjoying the AS life.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Another Colonial customer

We bought our AS from Colonial in the fall of 2014. Before taking delivery, we had them install a cellphone booster, and we had a new ProPride hitch shipped to them, which they installed when we drove up from DC to get the trailer in the spring of 2015. We were total newbies to RV trailering. They took several hours to go through all the trailer systems and identified a nice nearby local state park campground for us. They suggested we spend the night there so we could easily drive back to Colonial if there were any issues.
There werenít.
One point not emphasized enough in this thread is the importance of dealer prep. Iíve seen a number of posts on these forums complaining about horrible AS quality control. Many of these issues should have been identified and addressed by the selling dealer prior to delivery.
Our initial attraction to Colonial was the size of their on-site inventory. Sure, we watched Patrickís videos; but thereís just no substitute for physically being in the trailer. One of the things that changed our mind after being up there was that, for the 2 of us, a 30-foot AS did not offer meaningfully more space than a 27. The so-called RV Queen bed is shorter than I am tall whereas the twin beds are longer than I am tall. Moreover with floor space at the center, the twin bedroom has more useable space than the Queen, where the usability of the floor space is limited by the curving overhead. The under bed storage of the twin is more usable as well. These are the kinds of things that you can only evaluate with a physical inspection.
Subsequently, we did 8 months of full-timing in a cross country and back trip and never regretted our choice of trailer.
We did have some small repair done by Airstream of Los Angeles and Bay Area Airstream, and they were perfectly fine. Both shops had big inventories and their people seemed nice. So, if I were living in California, I donít think I would drive cross-country just to buy from Colonial.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #50

Heathsville , Arkansas
A different opinion

We bought our first one, a 19í Bambi IS from Patrick. It was a great experience. But, when we wanted service, we had to drive back to NJ, an 8 hour drive, one way. While we had it, we had it serviced a couple times at Airstream of Va, just 50 miles from our house. They treated us quite well, especially given that we hadn'tí purchased it there. So, when it came to upgrading last summer, we contacted Colonial and AS of Va. We got a better deal at AS of Va and the service then, and always, has been stellar. Note that they were owned by Campers World throughout our experiences.
I highly encourage you to give Airstream of Va a try. I think that they are really trying to always get better. And, with the International Rally there in July, they will be on full view.
mrhulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #51

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Virginia
We had such bad sales and service experiences at Airstream of VA that we tow 220 miles to Colonial for service. If we had to do it over again, we would buy from Colonial.
jcooper0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I purchased locally a 22 Sport in 12/18. Service was OK but not great. Returned on 12/19 wanting to trade to a 28 FC. They could have cared less. Just picked up my new FC from Nick at Colonial a month ago and couldn't be happier. Aside from saving me many $1,000's they offered by far the the best trade and they kept the trailer on their lot from Dec. until last month gladly. Even with travel expenses I came out way ahead.
Skybear46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #53

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Durham , North Carolina
We bought a 25 FC last year from Airstream of Va. If I had to do it over again, I would buy from another dealer.

We've had great service from Out of Doors Mart in NC.

RWTL
RWTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #54
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
I would run (fast) from Camping World. Ethics?
Obviously lots who run TO Camping World too, hence the age-old question - " Are they the biggest because they are the best, or the best because they are the biggest."
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #55

2018 27' International
Westport , Connecticut
I bought a 27 FBQ International Serenity from Patrick at Colonial a year ago. Good dealer. Great sales rep.
Jim McConnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Camping world is just BIG. No other value judgement works.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote