VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Buttercup is HOME!!!

What an adventure.
After spending 2 days in the rain repacking the bearings we were ready to bring her home.
Repacking the bearings in the rain was an adventure in itself. But it was an easy job. We took a lot of pictures to document the procedure. We will be posting that to the web later this week for those who are worried about doing that job.
We were able to pack 3 wheels but the rain got bad enough on Saturday that it was getting hard to keep things dry so we gave up.
Drove back this afternoon to finish the job. Knocked the last wheel out and put the tires on. The rims were removed 2 months back and taken to the local tire dealer for new tires. Then they sat in our garage for two months until today. I pulled them out and found 2 of them flat, one with almost no pressure and the last with 30 pounds (45 being normal). Cay anybody say "Valve Stems"? New ones were not installed. One tire had a leaky bead and I am not sure how that will be fixed. But being as it is Sunday and the shop is not open I chose to pump them up and go for it anyway. They should hold air long enough to get her home and deal with it later.
We did manage to stop at a Wal Mart to see if they could help with the tires but it was a 4 hour wait so we pushed on.
Before leaving this morning I did manage to rewire the TV/TT connector cable. It seems that the PO had done some creative wiring to that harness and if I had plugged it into our TV - it would have done some strange things.
Once the tires were on we were ready to roll almost. I hooked up the connector and the lights worked! Well Almost all of them did.

We hitched up and were ready to roll. Now here is the story about that - We have no brake controller on our TV. But even if we did it wouldn't matter because we have no vacuum line for our vacuum/hydraulic system. But even if we did - I wouldn't trust that system without testing first. The end result is that we had no trailer brakes but not to worry - our TV is a Hummer H2 and it has fairly robust brakes.
Now add to the equation that we had no sway bar or weight distributing hitch setup. Just a straight 6" drop ball in our receiver - that's it.
Fortunately it was not windy and weather was much better today than yesterday. Surprisingly we had no sway problems. in fact we were passed on more than one occasion by a high profile vehicle and we felt nothing. Not to mention that we were driving through mountain roads and winding our way home the 70 miles we had to traverse. We did stop at one point to check the axles and they were fine.
All in all the hardest part of getting her home was cutting away 13 years of sagebrush that surrounded her before pulling away.
Now the fun begins - cleanup...
Attached Images

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
2014 Mouse count: Buttercup - 0 / Airtini -
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Congrats! Your adventure is just beginning, but it sounds like you're up to the challenge

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Old Paint, rolling again.
1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Cool Tumbleweed Triage

Originally Posted by Buttercup
..........Now the fun begins - cleanup...
Congradulations on the new adition to your family!!! She looks like a great find. How nice that she was stored kind of like those jumbo jets in the desert. Mine sat in rainy Ohio for 10 years with nothing but the attention of little girls who used it as a play house.

Every great rescue seems to have a story

I really like your interior design plan.

Best of luck,

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Welcome home

Glad to hear Buttercup was able to come home!!!
Our "Spirit" Should be ready to come to her new home by the end of May!!
We had a frame up redo of our 76 Overlander. Will share photos as soon as we make our first trip!!
"Abe" & Melissa Lincoln
1976 Overlander "Spirit"
2005 Suburban w/q-steer
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote