Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
1969 Caravel 18'

Burning Man 2004: Burnstream Court

TODAY: Tickets went on sale for (the informal a/s rally at) Burning Man 2004. This is a gathering in Gerlach Nevada, which is not sanctioned or organized by any WBCCI group. Members of Burnstream Court have had two fantastic years at Burning Man in the past, and would like to invite anyone into our court, if so inclined. The dates are August 30 - September 6, 2004.

You can sign up for an infrequent e-mail list by visiting www.batmo.com and clicking on the e-mail link. Ask Ray to be put on the e-mail list.

If you buy tickets now, there is a seriously discounted price for admission. Burnstream Court will welcome all airstreamers.

You can buy tix here:
http://tickets.burningman.com/info.php?sid=&e=

And get info here:
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/

Cheers,
J-roam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ray-wagons2.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	4998  
Jeromepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:59 PM   #2

I got my tickets!

Logged on at 10AM today, and successfully bought the discounted tickets! Planning to caravan with some other East Coasters in mid August! ANYONE ELSE?
Beeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I am DYING to go but not a chance I am going to bring my A/S. I've heard the stories of those dust/sand storms and I can't picture putting my baby through that.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 07:55 PM   #4
1969 Caravel 18'

This too shall clean up.

Yep. I understand the concern about the dust. A couple of thoughts: (1) You don't have to bring your rig to attend Burning Man -- there are ways to camp in a truck comfortably. AND (2) Airstreams clean up really quickly, we've found.

Here is a photo of our rig the day after Burning Man. After we got all of our dusty stuff out, we spent about an hour vacuuming/rinsing. There was no trace of dust by the time we got home to the east coast. (Thanks to a pressure hose for the outside)

The most helpful thing we did was keep the windows/vents closed. We were outside during the day and it gets cold at night. We didn't have much traffic inside the trailer, and we were careful not to track in too much dust. We also covered our brand new carpet with these great rubber mats. (From Canal Rubber). It protected the carpet, and rinsed easily.

It had to be one of the most luxurious ways to spend 11 days in the desert. We were so comfortable we (almost) felt guilty.

BTW, there is a pump truck and water service out there, which makes things super easy.

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	day-after.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	5008  
Old 03-01-2004, 08:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
It always looks so wild, free, and creative but some how makes me think of the end of Western Civilization. And that scares me.
Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

BM 2004...

We have just purchased a 1970, 31' Sovereign and are in the process of preparing her for her first Burning Man. It does almost seem too luxurious though... nice bed... a/c... refuge from the music on those few hours you do decide to sleep...

Oh I can't wait!

Jim
jyobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Cool Nonetheless, I'll Be There.....

lucky you guys. logged on at 11:30p, clicked on the button at 12:00 midnight and spent the next hour and a half in "screen refresh" hell.... tried again at 5a, same deal. Then later in the day, then again this evening, and you know the rest of that story....<sigh> guess the electronic thing wasn't in the cards for me this time around, but a measley $50 will not stop me from GOING HOME!!!

the airstream skin should do okay in the sandstorm; much different than, say, a hailstorm (kinda fun, actually). previous poster spoke correctly; a good clean-up afterward is all you'll need. this burn, wanna go in a chevy-powered airstream 310, 325 or 345 aluminum intergalactic spaceship (just gotta find the right one first; wish me luck!).
MrGoate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:00 AM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Not in the know

For those of us that do not know of Burning man specifics,
could some one please tell the story? Maybe a little sales pitch....

What is it all about?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:27 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Smily:
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/
Old 03-02-2004, 08:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The burning man rally site is an excellent example for anyone doing large rallies.

see http://www.burningman.com/preparation/

compare and contrast to the WBCCI international rally website and you may gain a clue or two as to why Burning Man has vigor and vitality and WBCCI has worries and surveys.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I can see how the dust wouldn't be so bad if you kept the A/S closed up tight and you spent all your time outside during the day. Doesn't everyone want to see the inside? I guess just keep that door locked and keep away. The outside dirt wouldn't bother me. I didn't know about the pump and water trucks. That does sound awesome!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #12
1969 Caravel 18'

Paging Mr. Goate -- Question

We have twins! My Caravel is 1969, which is probably exactly like your 1970. Forget driving an RV -- tow that little C'vel and park next to ours. Might lead to some late night confusion, but worth a photo, at least.

Are you with a theme camp?

J
Old 03-02-2004, 11:18 AM   #13
1969 Caravel 18'

Burning Man Sales Pitch?

B-Man Sales Pitch: I'll give it a go. Wait -- better yet, I'll quote from the site.

"The Burning Man project has grown from a small group of people gathering spontaneously to a community of over 25,000 people...
Trying to explain what Burning Man is to someone who has never been to the event is a bit like trying to explain what a particular color looks like to someone who is blind....to truly understand this event, one must participate....
It is up to each participant to decide how they will contribute and what they will give to this community. The event takes place in Nevada on an ancient lakebed, known as the playa...
Art is an unavoidable part of this experience, and in fact, is such a part of the experience that Larry Harvey, founder of the Burning Man project, gives a theme to each year, to encourage a common bond to help tie each individual's contribution together in a meaningful way. Participants are encouraged to find a way to help make the theme come alive, whether it is through a large-scale art installation, a theme camp, gifts brought to be given to other individuals, costumes, or any other medium that one comes up with.

Just FYI, This essay about Burning Man was written by Molly who camped in a 1974 Overlander within the Burnstream Court in 2002 & 2003.
::
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburn...xperience.html
Old 03-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Re: Not in the know

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
For those of us that do not know of Burning man specifics,
could some one please tell the story? Maybe a little sales pitch....

What is it all about?
Hello Everyone,

I'm Ray, the founder of Burnstream Court. Two years ago, four of us camped together. Last year we were 10, parked in a very snazzy mandala.

To answer your question, a dozen years ago a guy named Larry Harvey got together with some friends and burned an effigy on the beach. They liked it so much they did it again the following year and more people came. And again, and again, until they were kicked off the beach, went searching, and found a magnificent site on federal land: the Black Rock Desert. The event has grown bigger every year (30,000 in 2003), while staying as true as possible its non-commercial values. Commerce is prohibited (except ice vending and a cafe to benefit local schools and organizations), and the next priority after surviving in desert for a week is participation in community and the celebration of art and individuality.

I first went in 2000, and I was instantly hooked. Links to photostories of my trips are at batmo.com.

We'd love to see you all on the playa!

...Ray
koltys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I don't know. . .that burning person things seems to strange for me. I hear there are a bunch of freaks running around half-naked and doing all kind of uncivilized things. Too much for my mild-tempered personality.

Not passing judgement though. . . .
64Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:49 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Jeromepix, glad to see you posting on Burningman. I loved the pictures you posted at the picture site. How long does it take to drive from NYC to Black rock?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Jeromepix, Rather than discourage posts from people that question Burningman, welcome them as an opportunity to broaden the discussion. Maybe even cause a fence sitter to attend. You can probably guess by now that all types of people are Airstreamers. What an opportunity for all of us to learn more about each other and in the process maybe, as Rodney King said, we can all just get along. I'd like to attend but my wife is a bit timid. Is there any room for a Bible centered Christian on the Playa? Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:14 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

burn ing man, burn

WOW!!! This is awwwsome!!

I have found a Quest, something to plan for ,
Some untainable goal to bring the kid[s] ,, and of coarse
my sons and my ball n ch... I mean , my bride and let gooooooo..
May not make it this year........ but dang!! it will, no it must happen!

markus------------------------------

must study web sight
must stu........ght..........
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:21 PM   #19
1969 Caravel 18'

Road Trip

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Jeromepix, glad to see you posting on Burningman. I loved the pictures you posted at the picture site. How long does it take to drive from NYC to Black Rock Desert?
We spent about 5 days en route each way. We spent extra time near Chicago, by choice. We boondocked at Wal-Mart, and didn't dilly-dally. I didn't think it would take that long, but it did. We averaged 60 MPH. We also spent one day in Reno to buffer the trip into and out of "reality camp". Nebraska takes a long time to drive thru. So does Utah... and Wyoming...BUT the journey was at least half the fun.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Did I understand that there are...

J,
so there is a periodic pump truck and a water truck? Our 19' Bambi is rigged for for boondocking and this sounds like our kind of event. Having a way to refill the water and empty to gray/black tanks would make it even better. I am still reading all the links, but so far, everything I read makes me want to go even more.

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote