Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2004, 06:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'n not going-no way!

What a mess. It's hot, dusty, and windy. And the art is AWFUL.
All the noise makes my ears hurt all the time. There are no trees or fire hydrants.
If you have to go, leave me behind. The salt makes my paws hurt.
I know how much you enjoy it, but I DON'T!

Sincerely,

Fluffy

as dictated to:
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 64Safari
I don't know. . .that burning person things seems to strange for me. I hear there are a bunch of freaks running around half-naked and doing all kind of uncivilized things. Too much for my mild-tempered personality.

Not passing judgement though. . . .

Safar I think that running around half naked will get you thrown out. It's buck Naked they're seeking. Ya don't think 25000 show up to eat dirt and pick their noses do you..?

Now if your talking couples, half naked is fine, as long as the little "lady" is fully that way. I'll bet there are exceptions!
I will prob'ly miss this altho I have considered a mission to get ideas for a 'knock off' event I am looking into hosting.

My idea was to rent Woodstock green up in New York State and have the Burning Woman extravaganza. Dumping of black & grey tanks would be allowed, vendors welcome. Like the western pagans the grand crowning event was to be the torching of the 'old local bitch'....then I realized there'd be a slight problem .....with the Secret Service...
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:27 PM   #23
1969 Caravel 18'

Answers to Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Garrison
Is there any room for a Bible-Centered Christian on the Playa? Jamie
I'd like to believe there is room for whomever might want to participate. Here is a post from a pastor who participated a couple of years ago.

http://www.burningman.com/blackrockc...the_playa.html

DUMP & WATER SERVICE ANSWERS
http://www.burningman.com/preparatio...vival/rvs.html

<<RV servicing will be available for a $45 fee for trailers up to 24’ in length and $55 for one gray and one black tank for RVs that are 25’-35’ in length. Each additional tank is $25. Sign up for the service at the vendor’s booth at Playa Information, between the hours of 11 AM and 1 PM daily.>>

AS FOR THE ART
As with any art exhibit, there is Good, Bad, and Ugly. The good is *exceptional* and the Bad gets burned with the Ugly, so see for yourself.

ART:
http://images.burningman.com/index.c...go.x=6&go.y=18
Jeromepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Jerome & Jamie....

..... I think you've talked me into it. Being born again but NOT DEAD YET, I live for moments that remind me of why God created life. He gave us the blessing of joy & worship & Burning Man might be the wildest church service yet. Then again, it could be a dusty, dull dollop of dingalongs. For one week in my very long life, I just might take a chance on it.

Bringing the Bible AND the Bambi, of course...
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:06 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Cool Don't Ponder So Much; Just GO - AND ENJOY LIFE!!!

To the curious ones, just think of BM as sort of....an artsy, laid-back, event-filled, fun-packed Quartzite - only with folk of all ages, hues, backgrounds, and GOOD KARMA! EVERYONE was SO friendly, SO cool; don't think I've ever been to any place on earth that held as much love, commraderie for one another as BM - where no one is a stranger. IT WAS JUST GREAT!!!!

Jeromepix-

Not a bad idea AT ALL! Was preparing to to take it to the last burn, but a lady at work suddenly felt moved to relinquish her <cough, cough> '84 Winnebago motorhome and.... well.....

So, there's a theme camp for us Airstreamers? Count me IN!!!!!

I JUST CAN'T WAIT, I JUST CAN'T WAIT, I JUST CAN'T WAIT!!!!! I TELL Y'ALL, I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO GO HOME AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
MrGoate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:17 AM   #26
1969 Caravel 18'

Re: burn ing man, burn

Quote:
Originally posted by markus
WOW!!! This is awwwsome!! I have found a Quest, something to plan for -- Some untainable goal to bring ... my sons and ... my bride and let gooooooo. May not make it this year ... but dang!! It must happen!

markus--------------------must study website..........
There is a great camp for kids. A little happy family, where kid's safety is first. Their activities are kid-centric, and their camp is placed away from the noisiest parts of the "city". Check out: Max Icon's essay on the topic:

http://www.burningman.com/preparatio...ids_at_bm.html

also of interest: KidsVille Theme Camp site:
http://www.burningkids.org/photo_gallery.htm
Jeromepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:49 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

burning stream

hi all,

thrilled to see the burning man discussion. my partner and i bought a 31 sovereign and have completed gutted and re-doing it. just now got past wiring, insulating, and putting up the inner shell, etc.

we have never been to burning man, but have attended a regional festival with a group that is now the official "new mexico" burning man event, it is on May 20-23 this year. It is called "3 Sided Whole".

if near, you should come and bring your airstreams. fabulous spot on the rio puerco desert about 1/2 north of albuquerque.

for more intel go to www.3sidedwhole.com

i'll read your posts more carefully, cause we got our tickets and are coming up to burning man with two airstreams (we're picking up a second trade wind hopefully to be a two stream caravan home). our group of friends from new mexico also have a major fun theme camp, last year right on the first row.

if i can do this right, here's a pic of "wireman", me, just getting ready to turn on the AC for the first time (with 1,100 chances of drilling through a wire for a rivet hole!) i threw the main switch with the wood pole. it worked perfect first time out, even the gfi circuit breakers, and even with the isolated bus, etc. all new stuff for me!!!! yahoo, after this, the dc panel will be a piece of cake.

on to cabinets.

michael
kechari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #28
pezz

1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees
yes

wow ! I was surprised to see all this about the burning man festival on this forum. I know of it and YES must be the word.
I wish I was over there to come to it. I also used to make festivals similer in Europe and who knows maybe again.
Imagination is stronger than fact !
So I wish you all who go, have a great time, I used to have an open mind but by brain kept falling out.
Above all have fun.
PERRY
PS : there is no way to peace, peace is the way.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
2004 Report?

I'm sure you are still sleeping it off if you went to Burning Man. Anybody do enough goofy substances to see Wally Gyam? Please provide an Airstream-licious report from this very alt-festival... !

Then maybe it is getting a little déclassé..... "Record Crowds for Burning Man Festival." (Sorry to future readers. CNN links don't last forever. That is why our forum members will give us a super first-hand report with pictures of their Airstreams!!)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:12 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to BurnBound
I went, I saw and returned in almost one piece.

I've been going since 1997 and this was my 7th burn.

I would highly recommend it, but it really isn't an event for everyone. I wouldn't bring my daughter, my Mom or my dog but I keep trying to get my Dad to go.

For the past 4 years I have been going with a group of folks and renting an RV out of San Fransisco. This year I'm getting it together and I'm going to have my AS ready. I am actually trying to redo my airstream to be as playa friendly as possible.

I'd love any advice from any Burning Airstreamers!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
wELCOME bURNbOUND --- i*TS ONLY APPROPRIATE IF i AM BEYOND MYSELF WHEN DISCUSSING bURNING mAN. fROM nEW yORK NO LESS -- i'M iMPRESSED!!

Okay, I've never been there -- just trying to prompt some past posts about the event in these forums (try the search function, start with the fewest key words possible; eg, burning + man).

His photo album is too big for me to go through for you but one fellow has done a massive restoration and who has posted Burning Man pics is William Henshall.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
get over it!

sit back in your rocking chair and suck on that geritol smoothie......

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:09 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Burning Man Images

Just spent an enjoyable hour or so going through the Burning Man image gallery for 2004. Amazing! Delightful! Something to think about attending next year! For anyone who would like to look at the photos - http://images.burningman.com

interesting people
fantastic modes of transportation
wonderful art
and at least one Airstream!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moonmobile.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	8777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Dream @ Burning Man.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	8778  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp organicphoto.bmp (77.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: bmp weschan.bmp (62.3 KB, 70 views)
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:00 AM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, bonus points to those who can identify the year and model of that AS!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:03 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
It has all of~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Wow, bonus points to those who can identify the year and model of that AS!
Looks like a 64 Globe Trotter fer sure~!!

neat pic~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:16 AM   #36
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
If the number of rope lights above the rear window follow the pattern of segments, then its older than a '64. Also the Airstream name plate is below the window instead of above, also an indicator age. I'd say a '58 or '59 Traveler. Just a guess though.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to BurnBound
That's not rope light on that airstream. . .

It's called El Wire (more infor here coolneon.com). BUT. . . what is really amazing about that airstream is that the owner converted it so it is no longer a trailer. It is motorized. No need for towing. You pilot it from a seat at the helm.

This thing was wonderful. Amazing. Loved it.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #38

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Whoa, sounds like we need to get some pictures of that one! I'd love to see what it looked like inside!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #39

1962 19' Globetrotter
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ray,

Sherry and I (Mark) have a 1962 19' Globetrotter and are first time burners and would like to stay in your camp. Need all the help and suggestion you can offer, Let us know how we can join your camp for Burning Man 2011. Thanks, Mark email benchmark_creative@msn.com
mebenigno is offline   Reply With Quote