Old 03-02-2004, 12:42 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I don't know. . .that burning person things seems to strange for me. I hear there are a bunch of freaks running around half-naked and doing all kind of uncivilized things. Too much for my mild-tempered personality.

Not passing judgement though. . . .

Old 03-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Jeromepix, glad to see you posting on Burningman. I loved the pictures you posted at the picture site. How long does it take to drive from NYC to Black rock?

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Jeromepix, Rather than discourage posts from people that question Burningman, welcome them as an opportunity to broaden the discussion. Maybe even cause a fence sitter to attend. You can probably guess by now that all types of people are Airstreamers. What an opportunity for all of us to learn more about each other and in the process maybe, as Rodney King said, we can all just get along. I'd like to attend but my wife is a bit timid. Is there any room for a Bible centered Christian on the Playa? Jamie
Old 03-02-2004, 06:14 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

burn ing man, burn

WOW!!! This is awwwsome!!

I have found a Quest, something to plan for ,
Some untainable goal to bring the kid[s] ,, and of coarse
my sons and my ball n ch... I mean , my bride and let gooooooo..
May not make it this year........ but dang!! it will, no it must happen!

markus------------------------------

must study web sight
must stu........ght..........
Old 03-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #19
1969 Caravel 18'

Road Trip

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Jeromepix, glad to see you posting on Burningman. I loved the pictures you posted at the picture site. How long does it take to drive from NYC to Black Rock Desert?
We spent about 5 days en route each way. We spent extra time near Chicago, by choice. We boondocked at Wal-Mart, and didn't dilly-dally. I didn't think it would take that long, but it did. We averaged 60 MPH. We also spent one day in Reno to buffer the trip into and out of "reality camp". Nebraska takes a long time to drive thru. So does Utah... and Wyoming...BUT the journey was at least half the fun.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2004, 07:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Did I understand that there are...

J,
so there is a periodic pump truck and a water truck? Our 19' Bambi is rigged for for boondocking and this sounds like our kind of event. Having a way to refill the water and empty to gray/black tanks would make it even better. I am still reading all the links, but so far, everything I read makes me want to go even more.

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:48 PM   #21
Site Team

, Minnesota
I'n not going-no way!

What a mess. It's hot, dusty, and windy. And the art is AWFUL.
All the noise makes my ears hurt all the time. There are no trees or fire hydrants.
If you have to go, leave me behind. The salt makes my paws hurt.
I know how much you enjoy it, but I DON'T!

Sincerely,

Fluffy

as dictated to:
Old 03-02-2004, 08:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 64Safari
I don't know. . .that burning person things seems to strange for me. I hear there are a bunch of freaks running around half-naked and doing all kind of uncivilized things. Too much for my mild-tempered personality.

Not passing judgement though. . . .

Safar I think that running around half naked will get you thrown out. It's buck Naked they're seeking. Ya don't think 25000 show up to eat dirt and pick their noses do you..?

Now if your talking couples, half naked is fine, as long as the little "lady" is fully that way. I'll bet there are exceptions!
I will prob'ly miss this altho I have considered a mission to get ideas for a 'knock off' event I am looking into hosting.

My idea was to rent Woodstock green up in New York State and have the Burning Woman extravaganza. Dumping of black & grey tanks would be allowed, vendors welcome. Like the western pagans the grand crowning event was to be the torching of the 'old local bitch'....then I realized there'd be a slight problem .....with the Secret Service...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:27 PM   #23
1969 Caravel 18'

Answers to Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Garrison
Is there any room for a Bible-Centered Christian on the Playa? Jamie
I'd like to believe there is room for whomever might want to participate. Here is a post from a pastor who participated a couple of years ago.

http://www.burningman.com/blackrockc...the_playa.html

DUMP & WATER SERVICE ANSWERS
http://www.burningman.com/preparatio...vival/rvs.html

<<RV servicing will be available for a $45 fee for trailers up to 24’ in length and $55 for one gray and one black tank for RVs that are 25’-35’ in length. Each additional tank is $25. Sign up for the service at the vendor’s booth at Playa Information, between the hours of 11 AM and 1 PM daily.>>

AS FOR THE ART
As with any art exhibit, there is Good, Bad, and Ugly. The good is *exceptional* and the Bad gets burned with the Ugly, so see for yourself.

ART:
http://images.burningman.com/index.c...go.x=6&go.y=18
Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Jerome & Jamie....

..... I think you've talked me into it. Being born again but NOT DEAD YET, I live for moments that remind me of why God created life. He gave us the blessing of joy & worship & Burning Man might be the wildest church service yet. Then again, it could be a dusty, dull dollop of dingalongs. For one week in my very long life, I just might take a chance on it.

Bringing the Bible AND the Bambi, of course...
Old 03-03-2004, 06:06 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Cool Don't Ponder So Much; Just GO - AND ENJOY LIFE!!!

To the curious ones, just think of BM as sort of....an artsy, laid-back, event-filled, fun-packed Quartzite - only with folk of all ages, hues, backgrounds, and GOOD KARMA! EVERYONE was SO friendly, SO cool; don't think I've ever been to any place on earth that held as much love, commraderie for one another as BM - where no one is a stranger. IT WAS JUST GREAT!!!!

Jeromepix-

Not a bad idea AT ALL! Was preparing to to take it to the last burn, but a lady at work suddenly felt moved to relinquish her <cough, cough> '84 Winnebago motorhome and.... well.....

So, there's a theme camp for us Airstreamers? Count me IN!!!!!

I JUST CAN'T WAIT, I JUST CAN'T WAIT, I JUST CAN'T WAIT!!!!! I TELL Y'ALL, I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO GO HOME AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:17 AM   #26
1969 Caravel 18'

Re: burn ing man, burn

Quote:
Originally posted by markus
WOW!!! This is awwwsome!! I have found a Quest, something to plan for -- Some untainable goal to bring ... my sons and ... my bride and let gooooooo. May not make it this year ... but dang!! It must happen!

markus--------------------must study website..........
There is a great camp for kids. A little happy family, where kid's safety is first. Their activities are kid-centric, and their camp is placed away from the noisiest parts of the "city". Check out: Max Icon's essay on the topic:

http://www.burningman.com/preparatio...ids_at_bm.html

also of interest: KidsVille Theme Camp site:
http://www.burningkids.org/photo_gallery.htm
Old 03-03-2004, 09:49 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

burning stream

hi all,

thrilled to see the burning man discussion. my partner and i bought a 31 sovereign and have completed gutted and re-doing it. just now got past wiring, insulating, and putting up the inner shell, etc.

we have never been to burning man, but have attended a regional festival with a group that is now the official "new mexico" burning man event, it is on May 20-23 this year. It is called "3 Sided Whole".

if near, you should come and bring your airstreams. fabulous spot on the rio puerco desert about 1/2 north of albuquerque.

for more intel go to www.3sidedwhole.com

i'll read your posts more carefully, cause we got our tickets and are coming up to burning man with two airstreams (we're picking up a second trade wind hopefully to be a two stream caravan home). our group of friends from new mexico also have a major fun theme camp, last year right on the first row.

if i can do this right, here's a pic of "wireman", me, just getting ready to turn on the AC for the first time (with 1,100 chances of drilling through a wire for a rivet hole!) i threw the main switch with the wood pole. it worked perfect first time out, even the gfi circuit breakers, and even with the isolated bus, etc. all new stuff for me!!!! yahoo, after this, the dc panel will be a piece of cake.

on to cabinets.

michael
Old 03-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #28
pezz

1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees
yes

wow ! I was surprised to see all this about the burning man festival on this forum. I know of it and YES must be the word.
I wish I was over there to come to it. I also used to make festivals similer in Europe and who knows maybe again.
Imagination is stronger than fact !
So I wish you all who go, have a great time, I used to have an open mind but by brain kept falling out.
Above all have fun.
PERRY
PS : there is no way to peace, peace is the way.