Old 09-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1978 24' Argosy 24
Santa Barbara , California
Broken Heart

I am so bummed. A while back we decided we really love the Airstream Caravanners from the 70s and recently decided we wanted to get one, but they are not that easy to find. We found one all the way across the county near Buffalo, NY. It was far away so we hired someone to look at it, but we really couldnít get a Airstream pro to check it out so there were still a lot of unknowns in the condition. It needed to be restored, but the amount of restoration effort was unknown especially regarding the frame and subfloor. We almost bought it. We even sold our current Argosy to use the money and make room in the driveway. After posting pics on a thread and getting a lot of good advice that it probably wasnít a good buy we let it go. As I was asking questions about it on a thread, someone told me that they have an Airstream Caravanner that is located much closer and is in beautifully restored condition. It was outside of our price range, but the owner and I continued exchanging pretty funny emails. However, I found myself constantly looking at the pictures of it and falling in love with it. We started working on quickly getting ourselves into a position where we could get closer to the price the owner told me he could let it go for, so I regularly check it with him to make sure he hadnít sold it. I saw it was removed from Craigslist and my heart dropped. I quickly shot him an email to see if he had sold it. He said no. The consignment agreement had expired for the place he was selling it. I was so relieved. I made another pleading but humorous offer to buy it and take it off his hands, but I did not expect him to agree. Surprisingly, he said I had a shot and he will get back to me. I couldnít sleep as I was so excited. I couldnít believe it the next morning when he said yes. We were so ridiculously happy. I was looking at pictures of it all day. I was telling everybody I knew and they were so excited for us. That evening he sent me an email to call him. I called him and he told me there was bad news. The place he had it at for consignment had sold it that morning. Bam. So cruel right? I am having a hard time moving past it. Itís like my Airstream spirit is broken. Weíve been on a search for a new Airstream for a while, but it just feels so much more challenging now.

CoreyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bummer, just not meant to be. Your perfect trailer is still out there waiting for you to find it.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
As long as you did not loose anything, cash wise, on it....your ahead already. Take a deep breath and look will find something better I am sure.
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
A few years ago I found the perfect Airstream and called the owner to tell him we would be there on Sun to purchase it; This was on Fri. He guaranteed us he would wait the two days until we could get there. Well, Sun morning came, we were all packed up,money in hand, hitch on and ready to go. I called to tell him we were on the way, he had sold it on Sat. A real bummer.
I found one like we wanted a couple mo. later. A year or so after this happened we met by pure accident the nice folks that had purchased the one we missed. Let me tell you, we were very happy we had missed it and had purchased the one we have. It was not in near as good a shape and I was not fond of the colors.
So everything works out. This happened to us a couple times with houses we wanted, something better always came along.
So don't despair. something as good or even better will come along for you....and... that Airstream is worth the wait.
StreamNTyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Corey although heartbroken there is another one out there for you, the right one. Just think how much more you will know when that one comes along.

Hang in there, there is always a plan.

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Don't let the seller know that you're emotionally involved with the purchase. I tell you this because it's a mistake I often make. People are happier selling to someone who just plunks the money down and drives away, like the buyer of the trailer you wanted evidently did.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1978 24' Argosy 24
Thanks guys. I'll get passed it. It's funny because almost everybody says I'll find something better, but in this particular case that's very, very unlikely. That's my issue. But yes, much worse things happen in the world.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1978 24' Argosy 24
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Don't let the seller know that you're emotionally involved with the purchase. I tell you this because it's a mistake I often make. People are happier selling to someone who just plunks the money down and drives away, like the buyer of the trailer you wanted evidently did.
In this case. It was just the opposite. The seller sold it to me at an AMAZING deal and I think a big part of the reason was they knew I loved it so much. The problem was that someone else also bought it the same day at the place it was listed for consignment and they offered much more money than I could afford.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Here's the story on our purchase of our Foretravel. Lessons learned follow the story.

After a couple of years of research, but before we were ready to seriously search for the ideal coach, our coach was listed. Since it was one on our list of possibles, I called the seller to ask some questions. I made it clear that we were NOT buyers, just wanted information, which they gladly provided. Soon after that conversation the coach was no longer listed.

We put our mpg up on consignment at the dealer where we bought if from. It sold fairly quickly for the asking price, so now we had the money to buy our coach. I started making a short list of available coaches, and our coach came up for sale again. I called to make an appointment to go see it. While we were looking at it and asking questions, we asked how it came to be back on the market. It seems that the person who "bought" it gave a small down payment and then sent a couple hundred dollars more over the next several months. Since the sellers were in their 80's, they didn't think that they would live long enough to get their money, so they cancelled the deal and gave the buyer back his money.

On the way home Jo Ann said she was unhappy. When I asked why, she said she didn't want to like the coach, and she really liked it. We talked over the next couple of days, and decided on a price that we could live with. It was quite a bit less than what the sellers were asking. We made that offer, and explained that we couldn't go any higher. They hesitated maybe two seconds before accepting our offer. We sent a substantial check immediately, and made an appointment to get the coach. We brought a cashier's check for the remaining balance with us.

Lessons: Have your financial ducks in a row before you start looking. That way you will be able to jump when you find the right coach. Keep watching the ads. The coach you thought you first wanted may show up again because the deal fell through. The asking price is just that - the asking price. Don't be afraid to make an offer for less, but be sure you can justify it. That doesn't mean that you can make an offer of $25,000 for a coach priced at $100,000, but an offer of $25,000 on a coach priced at $35,000 might not be too far off. The seller usually has some negotiation room built into the price.

Corey, I'm assuming that by now either the coach really did sell or you got it. I think, too, the reason we got the coach for the price we did was that the sellers knew we wanted it, guessed that we really couldn't afford their asking price, and they needed it gone.

David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote