Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
books or videos

can someone recommend any good books or videos - general in nature but focused on airstream trailers?
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
We were given a copy of "Airstream, The History of the Land Yacht" by Bryan Burkhart and David Hunt.

I'd recommend checking it out.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
books or videos

Greetings Crispyboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy
can someone recommend any good books or videos - general in nature but focused on airstream trailers?
The list below includes books and videos that I currently have on my bookshelf:

1.) Silver Palace: An American Travel Adventure (1992). This video focuses on a variety of Airstreams and owners including how the coaches are utilized and enjoyed. There are several currently active WBCCI/VAC members in various segments.

2.) Ready to Roll: A Celebration of the Classic American Travel Trailer. This is a relatively recent addition to my collection that I am currently reading. The photography in this book includes some very interesting coaches.

3.) Trailer Travel: A Visual History of Mobile America. This is one of my all-time favorites, but is more a general history of the industry rather than a more specific focus upon Airstream.

4.) Airstream: The History of the Land Yacht. Probably my all-time favorite, this book sets the standard for Airstream pictorial histories (IMHO).

5.) Airstream by Robert Landau. This is among the earlier of the pictorial historys of Airstream (published in 1984), and can be quite difficult to find today. I have had my copy for more than a decade, but find myself going back to it many times for a nostalgic look back.

6.) Airstream Caravan Movies on DVD - by the Vintage Airstream Club (2002) . This DVD is a compilation of Videos produced by Airstream and/or the WBCCI during the 1950s through 1960s. The videos focus upon caravans and rallys as well as a few Airstream promotional videos. This DVD is among my favorites of this genre as it is purely focused upon Airstream.

7.) Roam Sweet Home by Ellen Spiro. This documentary that I believe was originally aired on PBS features the author taking a cross-country trip in a small, single axle Airstream. The video feature Airstreamers that she met along the way including a number of WBCCI/VAC members.

8.) Airstreamers an American Family. This is one of my all-time favorite VHS format Airstream documentaries. It features a number of interviews with people active in the VAC including Bud and Bettye Cooper, Preston Pearson, Kathy Hunt and several others who are familiar to almost anyone who has parked in the Vintage section at recent International Rallys.

9.) A Journey Down Route 66. While not focused on Airstreams, this video focuses upon travel during the pre-interstate era with a nostalgic look back at Route 66 - - it is one of my two favorite movies for a winter evening.

10.) The Long, Long Trailer (1954) . My all-time favorite travel-related movie, this one will brighten any winter day. Unfortunately, you will only see two Airstreams - - each for a brief time of less than 30 seconds. It portrays many experiences shared by novice "trailerites"; especially the "stange" experience of towing a travel trailer with a convertible having the top down.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
WOW - really nice list! Thanks.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Smile

thanks for the detailed list, I will check them out.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
There are two DVD's out that are a compilation of many of the caravans that Wally lead. I have seen them for sale and somewere in the back of my mind I think it was either AS or WBCCI. When I run across it again I will post the location.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
VHS Land Yacht Videocassette

I have never been able to find this VHS that was offered free from Airstream to promote the Land Yacht Series of Motorhomes.

Has anyone got a copy, or have knowledge of its whereabouts????? If you have it can you upload it here? This site now takes video.

It is mentioned in all the early Land Yacht literature.(bottom of page)

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...da6135179e.pdf

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Try You Tube....and it's free!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Double Wedding (1937) starring William Powell and Myrna Loy is worth a look. Powell plays a free spirit who lives in a trailer. The trailer features in many scenes. It is my favorite movie on a trailer theme. I like it better than Long Long Trailer even though I love Lucy and Desi, William Powell and Myrna Loy are hard to beat.