Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Most spiders are harmless and it has been said you are never more than 8 feet away from one. They eat other bugs, so killing them may not reduce the total bug count at all. Spraying all that insecticide is probably more harmful to you than the chance of meeting a deadly bug.

I haven't seen a black widow for more than 55 years and that was in NYC. My father was about to walk into the web one evening, I was right behind him and pulled him back before he did. I'm told where we live now, black widows and scorpions are found, but I've never seen a scorpion either. And no rattlers. Am I in an alternate universe? Mountain lions are another matter—one killed 2 sheep down the road a couple of week ago.

Gene

we've got black widows and rattlers and mountain lions (oh my) around here. i would bet you got 'em over there too..you've just been lucky not to see them. i've seen the widows and lions but have yet to run into a rattler. but i know alot of people who have. in fact my wife was out walking the dogs by the river one day and came up on one that had a ground squirrel that the dogs decided they wanted to take from it...nobody got tagged in the mayhem that followed...thank god

Old 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Black widow webs are easy to identify. Not only are they somewhat chaotic in appearance like a random collection of lines, but they are much, much stronger than other webs. The web feels like tiny steel wires. The web was harvested by housewives in WWII and sent to the government to make reticals for various types of optical sights. Their venom, unlike most spider venom, is a neuro-toxin.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Oh my Goodness. I would just DIE if I ever saw one in person. We live up in Seattle and don't have them here. Oiy!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM
Oh my Goodness. I would just DIE if I ever saw one in person. We live up in Seattle and don't have them here. Oiy!
Come to my house, In late June and into August is breeding season here in Northern California. The big females are out on every corner of the house. Even though we spray, I go out on "widow hunts" after dark and with a flashlight and a shoe. You havn't truly lived a full life till you "feel something on your leg", only to have the wife tell you..."oh my God, you have a black widow on your leg, and she's the biggest one I've ever seen!!!" fortunately, they are usually shy and only come out at night. Otherwise they stay put in cool, dark places...like old tires, under your house, in your Airstream's chassis. Oh, and only the females are deadly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1478054729.png
Views:	48
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	138150  
Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Great picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Come to my house, In late June and into August is breeding season here in Northern California. The big females are out on every corner of the house. Even though we spray, I go out on "widow hunts" after dark and with a flashlight and a shoe. You havn't truly lived a full life till you "feel something on your leg", only to have the wife tell you..."oh my God, you have a black widow on your leg, and she's the biggest one I've ever seen!!!" fortunately, they are usually shy and only come out at night. Otherwise they stay put in cool, dark places...like old tires, under your house, in your Airstream's chassis. Oh, and only the females are deadly.
WOW!that is one ugly black widow.Did you scream like a crazy madman when your wife told you about the black widow on your leg?I know I would have!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
Black widow webs are easy to identify. Not only are they somewhat chaotic in appearance like a random collection of lines, but they are much, much stronger than other webs. The web feels like tiny steel wires. The web was harvested by housewives in WWII and sent to the government to make reticals for various types of optical sights. Their venom, unlike most spider venom, is a neuro-toxin.
Sometimes it's the web that gives you the clue to look further. The tiny little baby spiders don't look any special, but that strong wire chaotic web will make you more diligent in remove them.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
A widow bit my upper arm as I was asleep, in a basement apartment in Denver about 30 years ago. I groggily noticed something going on, kind of slapped it, and went back to sleep. Went to work the next morning, noticing that my arm was a little bit sore, as if I had overused a muscle in it the previous day. As the day wore on, it eventually felt like somebody had slugged me in the upper arm as hard as they could- I could hardly use it. When I got home, I looked around the floor near my bed, and sure enough- a dead widow with the red hourglass. These things pack a punch!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
I'm not frantic, I'm deadly. Harmless or not - varmints can't live in my traylah. I'm committed to being THEIR worst nightmare. LOL
I once saw a cook at an Ozark resort calmly bend over and chop a snake's head off with a chef's knife. She's my hero.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27
WOW!that is one ugly black widow.Did you scream like a crazy madman when your wife told you about the black widow on your leg?I know I would have!
No..I screamed like a three year old little girl!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Ha ha I know I'd be doing the same thing.