Old 06-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Big Adrenalin Dump

I returned home yesterday from a three week trip to visit family in Nebraska. Not much rest time, but it was good to go and help my daughter with some car repairs and many personal matters, as well as seeing two newly born family members (your grand kids may be grand but these two are “great” grand kids ). All went extremely well and largely trouble free until twenty miles from home. About thirty miles out I mentioned to my wife that we had driven nearly four thousand miles without seeing an accident when only about five miles later we came up on an ambulance and other emergency vehicles and assumed it would be an accident scene, but it was apparently a medical emergency as there was no evidence of a crash.

Then about five miles from there we were nearly involved in a potentially catastrophic event. I'm towing my 34 foot Airstream at 60 mph in the right lane of I-84 when ahead I see a really large tire tread stretching across much of the left lane with several hunks of rubber in the right lane. Three or four vehicles passing me in the left lane saw the “alligator” in their lane and moved to the left shoulder to miss it, but a guy in a new Volvo was a little too close to the car ahead of him to see what was in the road. He hit the “alligator” full on and threw himself completely out of control in the wildest spin I've ever been so close to. When I saw it begin to happen I braked with everything I had and resolved that I would probably be hit. I also determined to not lose my cool and try to swerve, risking a worse fate if I lost control of my rig. He spun in his lane, crossed in front of me, then completed his three-sixty in the left lane up against a concrete lane divider. He didn't kiss the divider hard enough to deploy his side-curtain air-bags. What an adrenalin dump for everybody! I don't know if he damaged the under-carriage of the Volvo, but there didn't seem to be great damage to the top side. Three things saved our bacon: 1) I was able to brake enough to miss his spin into my lane, 2) that Volvo was really stable as undoubtedly many cars would have rolled, 3) God's guardian angels around me did their job well!!

Upon inspection I found only one small dent in the left stone guard of the Airstream.

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
way to go, glad you made it through unharmed.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I wish there was a way to make truckers accountable for leaving blown out tires and debis in the highways. I know alot of people are killed by the stuff every year.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Everybody's first inclination is to blame the trucker

rseagle, hard as it may be to believe, sometimes the truckers don't even know they've blown a tire. My boyfriend is a truck driver and I've ridden with him numerous times. It gives you a completely different perspective of the world to see it through their eyes and see the really, really dumb things people do around big trucks. Not all Road Alligators are from blow-outs sometimes they can escape if a tire goes flat on the trailer and then just peels off. The trucker wouldn't even know it until the next time he or she stops.

Guess it's all just part of the new reality where accidents no longer take place. Somebody always has to be negligent or at fault and somebody else has to be the victim. In fact, many local police departments no longer have "accident reports" because that infers nobody is at fault; they have "crash" reports.
Airylle 1972 Safari featured for 5 nanoseconds in the movie Wild Hogs

Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
I know what you were feeling, Gene!

Read my second tale in this thread.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi

Makes my hands get all clammy just reading this.
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Glad you are ok, I am sure your resolve to not swerve protected you and your family!
It is almost always better to run over what is in front of you and worry about damage later than to swerve and risk a roll over.
-My .02
"Abe" & Melissa Lincoln
1976 Overlander "Spirit"
2005 Suburban w/q-steer
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thank Goodness

Both for your escape and for the fact that only adrenaline got dumped.....

Scared "spitless" isn't really descriptive of what can actually happen!

Good decision not to swerve. I'll try to take that with me when I leave for Maine on Friday. NO, I won't be taking I-95!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
great job on keeping your cool

TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote