Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
Tinbox

1964 19' Globetrotter
Panama City , Florida
Beware Beware Reserve America

I recently noticed a charge on my bank statement for 89.95 from Active.com which I did not recognize. I contacted my bank and they stated it was from a company charge identified as Active.com. I found out it came from a opt out button I did not check when making a reservation at reserve america. I disputed the amount and my bank is investigating however after looking into the company they have a long history of this practice. If you have made a reservation using reserve america check for this. Some states are suing this company.
Tinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
They have a button on the confirmation screen that looks like you are confirming your reservation, but you are, in fact, subscribing to Active. I realized immediately and called them and they took the charge off.

Shame on ReserveAmerica for allowing this deceptive practice. It's like the spam snail mail you get that is disguised to look like it is from you car manufacturer trying to sell you a warranty or from your bank trying to get you to take out a loan.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Agreed, shame on ReserveAmerica.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Might be time to contact the state park office you are booking for and comment to them.

I think I remember seeing this but been a few months. FWIW doesn’t look like SC state parks are using RA anymore.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I had that happen a few year ago when I singed up for a fundraising bike ride. I called Active and they cancelled it, but it sure is a sneaky thing to do
Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #6
Tinbox

1964 19' Globetrotter
Panama City , Florida
I agree. I have contacted reserve america and my state senator as well as the Florida State attorneys office. It is deceptive and annoying.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Thank you for pointing this out! I believe that California and Oregon are using Reserve America.... this sort of "scammy" thing chaps my hide! I will keep an eye out if I need to use Reserve America for this!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
Tinbox

1964 19' Globetrotter
Panama City , Florida
I believe the state of Idaho is suing Active.com
Not sure but I heard that.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Grayslake , Illinois
Angry Beware of Scams

Thank you Tin box for posting about this scam. I think I saw this last year also. Scary to think what might of happened. It seems that some of us may have been already taken. Not sure how to check now, being a year later.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Thanks for the heads-up. Texas State Parks (Texas Parks & Wildlife) just upgraded to be able to pick your site online, using ReserveAmerica. Having just used that system, I'll be checking the next credit card statement.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Several months ago the state of California moved away from ReserveAmerica and went to a website called ReserveCalifornia. Perhaps this scam was part of the reason.

Although avoiding the scam is great, the ReserveCalifornia website and reservation system is absolutely awful! What used to be a difficult reservation to get is now nearly impossible. I guess it just comes with the territory here in the Golden State.

Best,

Mike
mpbiagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
I looked at the reserve America site and saw it apparently has some tie to Camping World. So does this mean it's owned and/or operated by Camping World CEO Marcus Anthony Lemonis AKA Richardo Lemonis? With the reputation CW has, it's not overly surprising to see what is going on with the reserve America site. Just my opinion.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I just made a reservation using RA, so I was expecting to see the part in question.
I didn't see any "click here" type of notices.
However, I'll be watching my card to see what shows up.
Thanks for the heads up.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Fullerton , California
It's my understanding that they went to ReserveCalifornia.com because it gave them the control of the reserve system. Under ReserveAmerica there where outside venders that had developed programs that could get sites for an additional fee which really made it unfair for the average person. Under the new program they clearly state that an outside vender is prohibited. No question no matter how they do it getting reservations in California is a challenge. There are a lot more people moving to the RV lifestyle which adds to the challenge. Still won't deter me from doing it, it's the only way to travel.
TinPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Active.com

If I may suggest that the problem is partially Active.com, but also the company partnering with them?

some things to consider about Active.com:
I've used Active.com in 2018 and 2019 to register for programs affiliated with the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin. I was not charged anything last year for a basic membership--nor was it "upgraded" without my consent. And I checked my bank account, the only things I was charged for were my registrations for the programs I'm interested in.

Maybe the NRF-WI is protecting its patrons. Another theory is that Active.com "sponsors" or partners with events and places/companies in some way, and in turn, there's a kickback or turn a blind eye thing going on, the thinking being most people don't look at every line on their CC statements.

I say that last part as both an accountant and a wife. It's amazing how many things people pay--be it my job predecessors or my husband--without wondering really what it was. The things my husband was autopaying from his former wife that he had no idea was even on his statement...
1000Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Don't you love how in modern America everyone is out to scam you.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Beware Beware Reserve America

It’s not exactly a ‘love thing’.

But yeah, it’s a safe assumption that most people are out to scam you unless other evidence is to the contrary.

“Just because you are paranoid does NOT mean they are NOT out to get you. “

And yeah, I’m a ‘well paid paranoid’ in the computer security field, and I am very, very good at being paranoid.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. Texas State Parks (Texas Parks & Wildlife) just upgraded to be able to pick your site online, using ReserveAmerica. Having just used that system, I'll be checking the next credit card statement.
Just used it yesterday.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote