Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Istachatta , Florida
best tires 25' excella

Getting ready to replace my tires on a 95 Excellia 1000 25 ft trailer.
Any thoughts on the best tires, load range etc.
Going from Florida to Idaho come July and would like to avoid tire problems.
Thank you in advance. Happy Trails!
bikestreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
My trailer came with C rated tires and I had some problems with them even after replacing them with new c rated tires. After several years and several sets of tires I now stay with the D rated tires and it's all smooth sailing.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Istachatta , Florida
what brand

What brand of tire are you using?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Here we go I have on order right now from Tire Rack the Continental Vanco 2 tires, 225,70R15C 112/110R. Did a lot of surfing and came up with these as being the best for what I wanted in a trailer tire. It has a speed rating of R (106 MPH ) and a load capacity of 2470 lbs. at 65 psi.
Good hunting on finding the best tire

Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikestreamer View Post
What brand of tire are you using?

I am using the Goodyear Marathon brand and have been using the same brand since 87 on my trailer. At first, when I experienced a blow out I thought that it was because the tires were bias ply. That was 20 years ago. Then I went to the radials and have used their radials since, but still had some minor problems like uneven wear and longevity. But up to that point all had been C rated tires. That was the constant over the years. And that was the rating of tire that came on the trailer when new from Airstream. My trailer is not very heavy even when loaded and the tire specs show that the C is plenty for my trailer and should have covered it, but they didn't.
After changing to the D rated tire all the problems stopped and I have to say that I am glad I have discovered what my problem was. It took me many years to figure it out, but now I'm happy with my trailer tires.
My tires wear so good now and even that I have to watch the age to know when they are bad and replace them based on the age. Every 4 years works for me. I do rotate the tires every 4000 miles too.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I believe you are looking for load range "D" with that size and weight trailer. I have Maxxis. I have had zero problems so far. I had Marathons too and had zero problems as well, but my Marathons had these odd bulges on the sidewalls and I was not going to take a chance. The Maxxis tires have a nylon cap which is suppose to reduce tread separation. This technology has been used and proven on high speed sport tires. I figured it it was good enough for expensive sports car tires, it can't hurt on trailer tires.

"C" rated tires are not the proper tires for your size and weight Airstream. "C" rated might be good for a 16' or 19' Bambi, but even the factory for the 19' goes with "D" rated.

In addition to the Maxxis tires, I recently added centramatic wheel balancers to all four hubs. I did notice a "by the touch" drop in tire temperatures since adding the centramatics.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Exclamation The best Tire?

It's time to replace the Marathons that came on the Bambi. They still look good and have plenty of tread, but they are almost 5 years old and I'm leaving on a 3,000+ mile road trip in a week.

I've done considerable research and the main thing I have learned is that there is no consensus on what is the best tire. I have posed the "best tire" question to quite a few tire dealers and have gotten different answers from all of them, once from two different people at the same dealership. At one dealer they said they could get Mararthons overnight, but they recommended Titans. This guy had 29 years experience in the business. Another dealer said Goodyear stopped making the Marathon and replaced it with Transmaster tires, and claimed they were made by Goodyear (which, as it turns out, may be true). It seems Greenball sells the Transmaster tires, and they are produced by ten different manufacturers in several different countries, one of which is Goodyear. Yet another Goodyear dealer said they still make the Marathons, but they are having trouble getting them and recommended another non-Goodyear tire.

In short, since I only have one axle, the quality of the tires are critical. Cost is not a factor, but I prefer to buy American made.
Any suggestions?
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Here we go I have on order right now from Tire Rack the Continental Vanco 2 tires, 225,70R15C 112/110R. Did a lot of surfing and came up with these as being the best for what I wanted in a trailer tire. It has a speed rating of R (106 MPH ) and a load capacity of 2470 lbs. at 65 psi.
Good hunting on finding the best tire

Bob
I also have my eye on the Vancos as a future replacement. I definitely want an LT tire, and the Vancos are a European commercial/light truck tire. The lower 70% profile is a plus as well, to my way of thinking.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Best Tires

Any thing with the appropriate dimentions (Outside diameter and Max width) and a speed reting of at least 99 MPH. The 99 MPH Speed rating will give you rubber compounds that will withstand the heat of 65 MPH hour in and hour out.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post

In short, since I only have one axle, the quality of the tires are critical. Cost is not a factor, but I prefer to buy American made.
Any suggestions?
I believe all ST tire are made oversea's at this point. You could possible use an LT type tire if you want domestic.

I just put some 6 ply C rated Carlisle tires on my utility trailer for $60 each mounted/balanced. The D rated tires were on backorder and I needed the trailer. The Marathons were $106 each but were still only a 6 ply C rating.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Istachatta , Florida
25 Excella new tires

Just installed a set of Denman's on my trailer, Load rang D 8 ply. Well see after our trip leaving from Fl. to Idaho. Wish me luck.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Well, I finally bit the bullet. I called a Goodyear dealer yesterday morning and told him that if he could get American or Canadian made Marathons, I would buy them. He said "no problem", and "currently they were only being made in USA or Canada". He called this morning and said they were in, and to come on over to have them installed, so I did. They were made in the USA (date code 1809). The reason for the Marathons is that the ones that came on the Bambi performed beautifully for over 4 years, and still looked nearly as good as the new ones. I've kept the tires at the recommended 65 PSI at all times, check them frequently while traveling, rarely exceed the speed limit, and pay close attention to the PressurePro Tire Monitor System. The only flat I had was due to a faulty valve stem, so I had high pressure metal stems installed.

I'm off to Kansas City on Saturday. I'll report back if anything unusual happens.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote