Old 05-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Be careful though in getting advice from a dealer. Most I have run into have no experience or expertise regarding towing requirements. I ordered my van rather than take one off the lot. As I was making choices on the options, the sales person asked me questions about my choices and admitted that they had no one there who was knowledgeable about towing. In some cases the manufacturers actually have brochures that are called towing guides that can give you detailed information regarding vehicles and options. I know Ford had one at one time. Not sure about GM. In many cases again the dealerships don't carry them or their sales people don't even know if they have one. Check with the manufacturer's customer relations and see if they can send you one.

Jack
TRUTH! 95% of the time sales people are either woefully ignorant or only interested in making their commission from your pocketbook. Neither are good indicators for you ending up with a vehicle you'll love and feel safe in.

You'll get arguments by the dozen started here on what is big enough for which trailer - because there are many good choices, and quite a lot comes down to personal preferences. And then there is budget... oh the evils of not winning the lottery! If you are really dithering, poll all of your friends, neighbors, fellow parishioners, etc. who have tow vehicles and see if you can get a ride in what they own. Better yet, go to a rally... and ask people why they chose what they did and "if you had it to do over" and if they have any plans to trade.

I've often advised newbies to buy gently used Airstreams. I might semi-seriously advise newbies to buy beat up trucks or vans - something that'll get them to and from camping trips for a year or two... and then be traded in by the experienced RV'er for a dream vehicle.

I had a 2500 Suburban - which was a PIG on gas mileage as a daily driver - and sucked even worse when towing. But it was capable! If they started making them again... I'm a bit too happy with my "Snow White" GMC 2500 HD to trade it in... but I might drool slightly.

For a win the lottery tow vehicle? A fellow forum member was cruel enough to burn these images into my mind. Even has a bunk.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ie-121273.html

Old 05-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Firmly convinced bigger is better. Towing 29' Classic with 06 DODGE 3500, Cummins, jake brake 4wd dually crew cab, automatic. Easy puller and stopper, 12+mpg. No sway with Wd hitch, real pleasure to tow.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #31
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
All this talk about a tow vehicle! How about a different 30' Airstream? Our 67 30' has a dry weight of 4650. We tow with an F150, small V8.

Lynn
Old 05-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
As they say, you can't have your cake and eat it too. There are no mid size SUVs rated to tow a trailer that heavy. I guess you could go up in tow vehicle size or down in trailer size to reach a possible combination.

I always try to "Have my cake and eat it too," and frequently I manage to do so.
My Ford F-150 Ecoboost is rated for tow weight of 12,200 lbs. and my 30' FC is max wt. at 8800 lbs. I usually tow below the max, so it should work ok.
I'll find out in a couple of days when I pick it up from CanAm.
It handled my previous 25' FC rather well.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Yeah, the Classic 30' or 31' trailers are heavy. I'm a van person and at the time I took the 3/4 ton van with the 6.0 liter engine and 4.10 rear axle. It's rated for 9,900 lbs and personally every time I head down to Branson Mo., I thank my stars for the big engine and tall axle. You can get by with less, dependent upon where you tow. Personally I really wanted that 3/4 ton vehicle due to having the slide out which inflicts a lot of hitch weight. The beefed up suspension also makes the towing combination handle the dips and bumps in the road. I had a half ton van pulling a 27' Safari that weighed in about 2,000 lbs less than the Classic. The half ton van could not use OD when towing (manufacturers recommendation) and bumps and dips on the road were much more noticeable as the Safari dipped up a down a little more due to the softer 1/2 ton suspension and shocks.
My 3/4 ton van allows OD towing per the manufacturer and truly is a heavier duty transmission.

So when looking at engines, don't forget to look at the rear axle ratio's that are available. The taller that rear axle the better towing performance you will get. The converse is that driving without the trailer will be more expensive since that taller rear axle will negatively affect your mpg. Funny thing though is my half ton van which required 3rd gear towing gave me the same mpg when towing, as my 3/4 ton van does with taller axle and larger engine does pulling the 2,000 lb heavier Classic.

If you can find a 6.0 liter GM product with at least a 3.73 or 4.10 rear axle you will get a good towing vehicle with plenty of power. Note that the older 3/4 vehicle will have this engine and axle options. Half ton GM's didn't have the 4.10 and the heavy duty tranny. Now if you tow in the flat lands you won't need something as extreme as mine.

Jack
Hey Jack;
"Taller" axle ratio usually refers to a 'long legged' ratio, ie: small ratio, like a 2.73. (At least in Canada) What you are refering to is what we would call
'stump puller' for lack of a better word. It's just a matter of semantics though, because you are right. A larger ratio would handle the 'grunt' a lot better, and is better for the engine.
I'm not so sure about poorer fuel milage though, because with these 'stupid' multi-speed transmissions, you could select a proper speed range to get thebest of both worlds. (But that's another story. My Ford F-150 has a six speed tranny, and I NEVER use the sixth speed. Way to 'tall'.)
Old 05-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
I always try to "Have my cake and eat it too," and frequently I manage to do so.
My Ford F-150 Ecoboost is rated for tow weight of 12,200 lbs. and my 30' FC is max wt. at 8800 lbs. I usually tow below the max, so it should work ok.
I'll find out in a couple of days when I pick it up from CanAm.
It handled my previous 25' FC rather well.
Your F-150 Ecoboost is not a mid size SUV towing a Classic. You are towing a 8800# trailer with a pickup rated at 12200#. Huge margin.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Los Angeles , California
If I read you right, looking for an older mid size (not a Suburban) I came across a cherry 98 Durango SLT plus 4x4 with 7500 towing for about $2000. I almost bought it, factory skid plates for serious off road. If mountains aren't in you travel plans, check that with 5.9 litre (360 CI)- mpg not so great but a very capable and comfy budget ride.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Hey Jack;
"Taller" axle ratio usually refers to a 'long legged' ratio, ie: small ratio, like a 2.73. (At least in Canada) What you are refering to is what we would call
'stump puller' for lack of a better word. It's just a matter of semantics though, because you are right. A larger ratio would handle the 'grunt' a lot better, and is better for the engine.
I'm not so sure about poorer fuel milage though, because with these 'stupid' multi-speed transmissions, you could select a proper speed range to get thebest of both worlds. (But that's another story. My Ford F-150 has a six speed tranny, and I NEVER use the sixth speed. Way to 'tall'.)
In the US, 4.10 or 5.x is TALL (drag racer slang)
Old 05-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I feel like a huge part of the discussion is being overlooked (assuming in my skim reading job I missed it)

What is the expected payload in the tow vehicle for the most "heavy" trip you think you will do?

Humans, dogs, cats, ferrets, bikes, generator, extra gas, propane, two kayaks, chairs, tools, two turtle doves...you get my drift

Joking aside - you add all that crap up + tongue weight expected....some tow vehicle manufacturers in their payload figures figure that number to include one 150 lb adult - other ones do not it seems?

Anyway - do the math as best you can when deciding

Good luck!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #38
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
FCStreamer, have the same issue with my 2015 Supercab 5.0. Has payload of 2031 lbs on the drivers door. With my FC25 and tongue wt. around 1000 lbs. and add 600 lbs. for Honda ATV, 400 lbs in passengers and a tool box and I am pretty much done. Leave the ATV behind and I can carry two 2000 gens, extra fuel, air compressor and anything else I need. Payload is the limiting factor on half tons and most F-150 with crew cabs have payloads much less than mine.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #39
RivetingTravels

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 30' International
Richmond , Virginia
Mercedes GL320 Bluetec towing a 30-foot Airstream

Demonstration of a Mercedes GL320 "Bluetec" towing a 30-foot Airstream trailer by rluhr of Airstream Life Magazine.

https://youtu.be/Hmg3A5l9s0M

WBCCI 22386 | SKP 111234 | Follow Us!
Blog • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
RivetingTrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
That driver has allowed himself zero cushion or safety factor. The Mercedes is rated to pull 7500 and he has 7500. He might not have enough payload allowance left over to take along his pet dog let alone wife and kids or luggage. like driving race cars where the faster you go the less room there is for errors and mistakes can often be costly if not fatal, so it is with tow vehicles. The closer you get to maximum load the less allowance there is for things to go wrong and when they do (not if) they are often costly if not fatal.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dura-Burb

https://www.youtube.com/user/DuraBurbinc

One of these IS the best of both worlds - engine brakes, torque out the wahzoo, towing capacity for anything Airstream ever made and then some. AND it's a "Suburban" on the outside and in the cab, but Oh what's under the hood and in the tranny. Only the 8 lug nut wheels give it away.

Paula
Old 05-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We tow our 34' International with a Dodge Durango - but keep in mind that the mid-80's trailers are lighter than todays and that the triple axle models have a very light tongue weight by comparison. Our ready to camp weight hovers around 7500lbs these days, with approx 800lbs on the tongue, 550-600lbs are carried by the Dodge after weight distribution.

It's our first season with the Durango and it has been doing a sterling job. We just returned from Georgian Bay here in Ontario. The drive north is like a rollercoaster, with steep inclines alternating with equally steep declines. Anybody who has ever drive the Airport Road up north knows what I am talking about.

Going uphill was never an issue for the 8 cylinder engine paired with the new 8 gear transmission. Coming downhill, the paddle shifters came in incredibly useful, holding us at manageable speeds without having to ride the brakes.

The engine relied on available torque before making use of revs, to really quite an impressive degree. The independent suspension makes for a nice and stable drive.

We tow with a Hensley and have the hitch strengthened to help equalize the weight even better.

Keep in mind that unless a vehicle follows SAE J2807, manufacturer's tow ratings are most likely meaningless marketing.