Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Best collapsible dog crate?

Does anyone have a favorite portable / fold-able / collapsible dog crate that they can recommend? I need a fairly large one - 24 by 36 inch footprint.

I don't necessarily mean a crate for active use while inside your trailer or motorhome, but one that you take with you in case you need it (for example, we frequently visit other folks in their homes and summer cottages, residences that are not dog-proofed).

The problem with crate-shopping on the internet is that the postings usually show nylon crates that are set up, and they provide no information on how they fold down. Some only fold into their own fixed footprint, the same way a steel crate does. That would be useless for a trailer or motorhome. I need a good one that collapses into a very compact storage shape more like those portable infant play yards do.

Incidentally, as I was searching this forum for existing info on this topic, I did find reference to someone traveling with their pet duck in a dog crate. Yes, a duck. But no specs were given on the dog crate.

Thanks!
Alison and Lawrence
League City Texas
THE INTERSTATE BLOG
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Don't know if it's the best, but this is the kind my mom used for her dogs on the rare occasions when she traveled:
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Stages-Si.../dp/B00063MQJ4

It's available in several sizes, including 24×36 and two larger sizes.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I use soft sided crates, but they fold like a steel one. Storage isn't an issue for me as the pups travel in them so they are always set up in the TV. I like soft sided because they don't rattle. Your dog does need to be well crate trained because a determined one can dig out of it.

All of this is of no use to you, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Petco has dog crates that fold into it self. I use the wire crate for mine and I also use the portable dog pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Don't know if it's the best, but this is the kind my mom used for her dogs on the rare occasions when she traveled:
Amazon.com : Life Stages Fold & Carry Single-Door Dog Crate Size: Small - 24" L x 18" W x 21" H : Pet Kennels : Pet Supplies

It's available in several sizes, including 24×36 and two larger sizes.
We have one of those and our dog uses it daily at home (she is not just crate-trained - she is crate-attached). We also travel with it in our minivan when needed. But there would be no room for it in an Interstate unless we put it on the roof, slung it beneath the chassis, or added it to a trailer or hitch platform. That's why I'm searching for a true collapsible version.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We have one of those and our dog uses it daily at home (she is not just crate-trained - she is crate-attached). We also travel with it in our minivan when needed. But there would be no room for it in an Interstate unless we put it on the roof, slung it beneath the chassis, or added it to a trailer or hitch platform. That's why I'm searching for a true collapsible version.
Yeah, you would be kind of limited to loading it through the rear doors and carrying it on the bed, even if you tore it down to where you could put it back into the box it came in. Sorry.

Have you considered asking your veterinarian if he has any recommendations? He's probably exposed to as many carrier styles as anyone, through is patients' owners.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Alison & Lawrence,

I now exactly what you're looking for: something like a Doggone Good Pack-A-Pup Tent. When set up, the footprint is 32" x 40", but it packs into its included carry case to make a compact package roughly 20" x 7" x 7". The crate assembles with exterior spars, like a tent. It is constructed of a durable nylon fabric with mesh for ventilation.

A lightly larger alternative: the Cabana Crate Ultra-Lite. Of course, both of these items are discontinued.

I have two very lightly used Pack-A-Pups from our dog show and Agility days. If you're interested in one, please email me privately. As far as I can tell, everything currently on the market folds into its own footprint (like the Nose2Nose soft crates we currently use).

As others have mentioned, soft crates do not provide crash protection and are not escape-proof. And good crate training (Crate Games or the like) is always a good investment, no matter what type of crate is used.

Kathryn Foran and the 'Streamin Standard Poodles
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Collapsible dog? That could be handy. Dog too big? Collapse him and put him in a smaller crate...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Finally a question I can answer! Being pretty new with my AS, still learning lots. But the main reason I got the Tradewind was to go to dog shows. I raise and show Pembroke Welsh Corgis. Somehow I fit four comfortably in the trailer at night. I swear by nylabone crates. They are no longer made, but are readily available on eBay. Kind of pricey, but really worth it. All of mine are the 27 inch. Open, they are 20w x 27l x 19h. Folded, they are 20w x 27l x 3h. They are made of a high impact plastic that is very lightweight and extremely durable. Wire crates will easily weigh 30 pounds; these weigh about 13 pounds. Dogs cannot chew or rip their way out like with fabric crates. Also no bars to get paws caught in like wire crates. Easy to clean - just hose them down or better yet, take them to a "do it yourself" car wash and hit them with the wand. You can stack them if you have multiple dogs. Absolutely nothing better. They come in three sizes, one small than the 27" and one larger. Can't give you the measurements of the others as all I have are 27's. Expect to pay $100-150 for them, but well worth it.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Alison and Lawrence,

POI...."Fado" has been crate trained from puppyhood.

We use a 'Port-a-Crate', soft sided folding crate.

It works very well if your dog is trained for traveling in one. Easy to clean & fold and is much lighter than the wire units.
Plus the mesh top provides some shade.

We use a wire folding "X-cercize Pen" at home or outside at the campsite when needed.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
USA

1973 25' Tradewind
Elkhart , Indiana
Best Crate

We have the folding nylon travel dog crate from Orvis. We love it.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
London , Ontario
I have one similar to this although not the folding type. Pictures and videos: CL3000 Folding Crate :: Zinger Dog Crates :: Zinger Sport Dog Gear Inc.

John Wade
John Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
Alison & Lawrence,

I now exactly what you're looking for: something like a Doggone Good Pack-A-Pup Tent. ...

As far as I can tell, everything currently on the market folds into its own footprint (like the Nose2Nose soft crates we currently use).

As others have mentioned, soft crates do not provide crash protection and are not escape-proof. ....

Kathryn Foran and the 'Streamin Standard Poodles
Something like that, yes, but unfortunately that unit is discontinued.

We don't have to worry about our dog escaping her crate - she is crate-attached, having slept in one for almost five years now. She gets a bit agoraphobic without it. This summer prior to buying our Interstate, we took a cross-continent trip in our minivan. We loaded her steel crate into the van so that we could set it up in hotels (actually dragged it up to the 23rd floor of the Park Lane Hotel in Manhattan). Each time we would unpack the crate, she would be overjoyed at having her familiar home reappear.

I don't need a crate for traveling on the road, just for landing at cottages and hotels and peoples' houses. If you show up to visit someone, the first thing they say is "let's celebrate and go out to dinner". Which is wonderful, except I have to put the dog up first. So far as this has happened, we have simply left the dog in the Interstate (which is like a giant crate), because it is winter and there is no danger of the vehicle getting too warm. But in warmer weather, she'll have to be moved to some unfamiliar indoor place.

Thanks for the suggestion. At least now I have a picture of the type of device I'm looking for.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Collapsible dog? That could be handy. Dog too big? Collapse him and put him in a smaller crate...
In a similar vein of comic relief, attached is a screengrab of one of the images returned during my internet search. I was looking for 'dog crate' but Google has pre-associated me with the term "Airstream" and so this type of thing is the amalgamated result.

And its URL: Straight Line Designs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as_home.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	228087  
Old 12-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Something like that, yes, but unfortunately that unit is discontinued.

We don't have to worry about our dog escaping her crate - she is crate-attached, having slept in one for almost five years now. She gets a bit agoraphobic without it. This summer prior to buying our Interstate, we took a cross-continent trip in our minivan. We loaded her steel crate into the van so that we could set it up in hotels (actually dragged it up to the 23rd floor of the Park Lane Hotel in Manhattan). Each time we would unpack the crate, she would be overjoyed at having her familiar home reappear.

I don't need a crate for traveling on the road, just for landing at cottages and hotels and peoples' houses. If you show up to visit someone, the first thing they say is "let's celebrate and go out to dinner". Which is wonderful, except I have to put the dog up first. So far as this has happened, we have simply left the dog in the Interstate (which is like a giant crate), because it is winter and there is no danger of the vehicle getting too warm. But in warmer weather, she'll have to be moved to some unfamiliar indoor place.

Thanks for the suggestion. At least now I have a picture of the type of device I'm looking for.
There are a couple of knock-offs of the Pack-A-Pup at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Alcott-Explore...NT2KTYVGWKRB5K

http://www.amazon.com/ABO-Gear-Dog-H...XW5NAKMD09ZKH4

The prices seem reasonable, and the reviews are pretty good.

Hope you can find something you can use.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We use standard collapsable wire crates at home and on the road. Our gang of crazies are well crate trained. On the road we leave two crates in the AS (our dogs are all small) and one in the back of the TV just for the Pom/Chihuahua mixes, who are not that well-behaved in a vehicle. The other two older doggies just nap in the back seat.

When we stop, they get walked, then transfer to the AS, and den up for feeding and our people meal breaks. It looks like a circus act when my wife gets into the AS and I carry the dogs one by one out of the TV passing them through the opening in the screen door one at a time...

Generally, if the weather is cool, they relax in the AS while we go eat, then its the reverse trip to set off again. They sleep in the crates, and there is JUST enough room to get past the crates in the aisle of our AS to the dinette and rear bath area. It's tight, but workable.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Woodbury , New Jersey
Lots of good options mentioned in this thread, and I'm happy to see that so many Airstreaming pups travel in crates.

One thing that has been overlooked so far, however, is the importance of securing the crate in the vehicle. An unsecured crate is just one more deadly flying object in a crash, though even an unsecured crate may prevent the dog from flying through the windshield. (And yes, that does happen.)

Most vehicles now come with integral secure attachment points. They're good for tieing down crates, preferably with ratchet straps, not bungees. Since our dogs travel in a MoHo, we don't have tie-down points. What we do instead is set up our dinette as a bed, lay down a drop cloth, set up our two 24" x 36" crates, and secure the ratchet strap over the crate tops to the seat belt hardware on each side. This arrangement sets up and takes down quickly and prevents airborne poodles. ;-)

With more than 40 years of experience traveling to and from obedience, agility, and rally trials, dog shows and retriever hunting tests, we've run across enough preventable tragedies involving dogs and humans to adopt a "Safety First" mantra. Be careful out there; we'd like to see you and your critters down the road.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
There are a couple of knock-offs of the Pack-A-Pup at Amazon:

Amazon.com : Alcott Explorer Pup Tent, One Size, Green : Pet Habitats : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : ABO Gear Dog Haus Pet Shelter : Dog Houses : Pet Supplies

The prices seem reasonable, and the reviews are pretty good.

Hope you can find something you can use.
Everyone's needs are different, but this proved to be the winning post entry for us - the Alcott Explorer Pup Tent, at a whopping $38 on Amazon. It folds down into a tiny bundle (space is our primary constraint in our Interstate), weighs less than 2 pounds, and our dog loves it. To acclimate her to it prior to future travel, I've had her sleeping in it nightly for the past couple of months. Thanks so much for this link!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-WP_20150401_007.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	240043  
Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I should point out that our crate is tied down with a seatbelt and the older dogs are secured via harnesses to the seatbelt in the truck. No flying poodles here either.

The pup tent looks nice, but our knuckleheads would chew through it in minutes to get back to us and sleep on the AS bed. Collapsible metal crates fold small and prevent chewing out. I have a beautiful carry bag that one of our pups ruined by scratching at the mesh from the inside. Sigh. They are sometimes destructive in their need to be close to their people.

Rescued dogs have a few issues at times. Some separation anxiety is one of them.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote