Old 12-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Something like that, yes, but unfortunately that unit is discontinued.

We don't have to worry about our dog escaping her crate - she is crate-attached, having slept in one for almost five years now. She gets a bit agoraphobic without it. This summer prior to buying our Interstate, we took a cross-continent trip in our minivan. We loaded her steel crate into the van so that we could set it up in hotels (actually dragged it up to the 23rd floor of the Park Lane Hotel in Manhattan). Each time we would unpack the crate, she would be overjoyed at having her familiar home reappear.

I don't need a crate for traveling on the road, just for landing at cottages and hotels and peoples' houses. If you show up to visit someone, the first thing they say is "let's celebrate and go out to dinner". Which is wonderful, except I have to put the dog up first. So far as this has happened, we have simply left the dog in the Interstate (which is like a giant crate), because it is winter and there is no danger of the vehicle getting too warm. But in warmer weather, she'll have to be moved to some unfamiliar indoor place.

Thanks for the suggestion. At least now I have a picture of the type of device I'm looking for.
There are a couple of knock-offs of the Pack-A-Pup at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Alcott-Explore...NT2KTYVGWKRB5K

http://www.amazon.com/ABO-Gear-Dog-H...XW5NAKMD09ZKH4

The prices seem reasonable, and the reviews are pretty good.

Hope you can find something you can use.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We use standard collapsable wire crates at home and on the road. Our gang of crazies are well crate trained. On the road we leave two crates in the AS (our dogs are all small) and one in the back of the TV just for the Pom/Chihuahua mixes, who are not that well-behaved in a vehicle. The other two older doggies just nap in the back seat.

When we stop, they get walked, then transfer to the AS, and den up for feeding and our people meal breaks. It looks like a circus act when my wife gets into the AS and I carry the dogs one by one out of the TV passing them through the opening in the screen door one at a time...

Generally, if the weather is cool, they relax in the AS while we go eat, then its the reverse trip to set off again. They sleep in the crates, and there is JUST enough room to get past the crates in the aisle of our AS to the dinette and rear bath area. It's tight, but workable.

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Lots of good options mentioned in this thread, and I'm happy to see that so many Airstreaming pups travel in crates.

One thing that has been overlooked so far, however, is the importance of securing the crate in the vehicle. An unsecured crate is just one more deadly flying object in a crash, though even an unsecured crate may prevent the dog from flying through the windshield. (And yes, that does happen.)

Most vehicles now come with integral secure attachment points. They're good for tieing down crates, preferably with ratchet straps, not bungees. Since our dogs travel in a MoHo, we don't have tie-down points. What we do instead is set up our dinette as a bed, lay down a drop cloth, set up our two 24" x 36" crates, and secure the ratchet strap over the crate tops to the seat belt hardware on each side. This arrangement sets up and takes down quickly and prevents airborne poodles. ;-)

With more than 40 years of experience traveling to and from obedience, agility, and rally trials, dog shows and retriever hunting tests, we've run across enough preventable tragedies involving dogs and humans to adopt a "Safety First" mantra. Be careful out there; we'd like to see you and your critters down the road.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
There are a couple of knock-offs of the Pack-A-Pup at Amazon:

Amazon.com : Alcott Explorer Pup Tent, One Size, Green : Pet Habitats : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : ABO Gear Dog Haus Pet Shelter : Dog Houses : Pet Supplies

The prices seem reasonable, and the reviews are pretty good.

Hope you can find something you can use.
Everyone's needs are different, but this proved to be the winning post entry for us - the Alcott Explorer Pup Tent, at a whopping $38 on Amazon. It folds down into a tiny bundle (space is our primary constraint in our Interstate), weighs less than 2 pounds, and our dog loves it. To acclimate her to it prior to future travel, I've had her sleeping in it nightly for the past couple of months. Thanks so much for this link!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-WP_20150401_007.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	240043  
Old 06-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I should point out that our crate is tied down with a seatbelt and the older dogs are secured via harnesses to the seatbelt in the truck. No flying poodles here either.

The pup tent looks nice, but our knuckleheads would chew through it in minutes to get back to us and sleep on the AS bed. Collapsible metal crates fold small and prevent chewing out. I have a beautiful carry bag that one of our pups ruined by scratching at the mesh from the inside. Sigh. They are sometimes destructive in their need to be close to their people.

Rescued dogs have a few issues at times. Some separation anxiety is one of them.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote