2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	223202

I have been a bear hunter for 20 some years. I have hunted bears in Alaska, Canada, Wyoming, and Minnesota. I think I know a thing or two about bears.

Now, I'm not big on hiking as a sport. If I'm walking in the woods, I'm probably hunting. If I'm hunting, I'm carrying a big gun.

However, if I were to go hiking in the bear woods, I would carry a rather large revolver, say a .454 Casull, or at least a .44 magnum. (Yeah, I know, you Canadians are out of luck on the handgun thing. For you guys a 12 ga. loaded with slugs will work.)

Better to have had real protection and not have needed it than to have needed it and not have had it.

(BYW that's Huey and Louie. Dewie is around here, too)

Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In our subdivision above Santa Fe, really dumb folks have been feeding the black bears. One such lady left her kitchen door ajar.

When she returned, a back bear was in the kitchen browsing the pantry to select the next meal. It was an issue trying to un-invte the bear from the kitchen.

Some folks really work hard for the Darwin award! Where they improve the human gene pool by removing themselves by stupid behavior.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I had a black bear come at me two years ago while archery elk hunting. I saw him but he did not see me. When he was 25 yards from me and still approaching me, I stood up so he could see me, he still approached so I raised my bow over my head stood my ground and made soon noise. At approx 20 yards he stopped, looked at me, and wandered off unconcerned to my right. On reflection I should have stood up sooner but I thought he would wind me and veer off by himself. To those who would ask "why didn't you shoot" the answer is this, a bear coming straight at you with his head down does not present an archery shot, besides I did not want to harm him. At that time I slowly backed myself up the ridge keeping him in sight and quietly left the area.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I had a black bear come at me two years ago while archery elk hunting. I saw him but he did not see me. When he was 25 yards from me and still approaching me, I stood up so he could see me, he still approached so I raised my bow over my head stood my ground and made soon noise.
Bears have excellent color vision, but they're nearsighted. Within the range of their vision they see as well as a human, with superior depth perception because their eyes are so widely spaced. But beyond the range of their nearsightedness, they detect movement a whole lot easier than they detect shape. Waving your bow would have made you more visible than just holding it overhead.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Oh I was waving it around over my head a lot, trying to make myself look bigger.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Oh, by the way... the wife is TERRIFIED.

I must sound like a big sissy. but I'm actually a pretty seasoned underwater hunter (spearfisher) but I'm not used to land based predators and their behaviors/motivations. I just like to be informed as I'll be without firearms as I have very curious sons, who like bears - can tear open steel to get at anything they are after.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post

I must sound like a big sissy. but I'm actually a pretty seasoned underwater hunter (spearfisher) but I'm not used to land based predators and their behaviors/motivations. I just like to be informed as I'll be without firearms as I have very curious sons, who like bears - can tear open steel to get at anything they are after.
I don't think you are a sissy at all. I do think you might be a bit crazy to swim with sharks and other nasty ocean predators with nothing but a sharp stick and some rubber bands for protection.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #37

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
It's all Yogi and Boo-Boo's fault that people mistakenly think bears are cute*, but it's just like Yogi says, "You just gotta be smarter than the average bear!"

*Or maybe it's Teddy Roosevelt's fault, but a heartily-shouted "Bully!" isn't nearly such good advice for dealing with bears, so I'd rather stick with Yogi on that score.

On a side note, I'm not terribly worried about bears. Alligators terrify me, especially since my kayak is inflatable and not strong enough to resist being eaten as an appetizer before the gator gets to the main course…me! I once canceled an entire day on the water because that morning a gator was sunning himself on the dock right alongside my kayak.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
When I was a kid a (job) recruiter asked me if I had 3 years experience or 1 years experience three times. In that spirit I've had frequent but minimal bear experience and don't really know much.

A few weeks ago I tore apart some scat that was ~4 yards from my front door. Aside from the usual undigested nuts and berries there were a few plastic bags. Poor thing.

A few winters ago I followed some tracks around the house and I could see where the bear stood up on it's hind legs and looked into our basement window.

My very non-expert advice based largely on reading: look as large as possible by e.g. opening a jacket and holding the opening outwards, back off slowly, and keep speaking softly.

I've seen very few cougar but they are what scare me. Oddly I've only seen them in my yard.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #39

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
My very non-expert advice based largely on reading: look as large as possible by e.g. opening a jacket and holding the opening outwards, back off slowly, and keep speaking softly.
Some Corps of Engineers park rangers I work with say the same, EXCEPT, instead of speaking softly, make lots of noise. Rattling a can half full of pebbles works, especially in rattlesnake country. Setting off your car alarm via the panic button on your remote is also good, if you're close to your vehicle.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #40
Site Team

, Minnesota
I use my well developed Situational Awareness skills, meaning I stay out of situations where I am the slowest runner in the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
You know the rule, all you need is a ball bat to escape a predatory animal. Hit your buddy in the knee with the bat and then run like hail.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I agree with most of what has been said here. However, there is one thing that has not been brought up. Bears, and most preditors I would bet, can smell fear.

I had a toe to toe encounter with a 6 foot black bear in Alaska. One of our guys was skining a bear when another bear came after him. Two of us, armed with .44s (rifles were all leaned against a tree 15 feet away) jumped in front of the bear, between it and our guy lying on the ground.

The bear stood up, just two or three feet from us, and looked at us. We weren't afraid. We had enough fire power to kill that bear.

Then the bear looked at the guy on the ground, who was turning blue from holding his breath. The bear licked his chops, and then looked back at us. We showed no fear. He was nervous about us, and he could smell the fear from the guy on the ground. He wanted to get to the guy on the ground, but he couldn't get around us.

I kept talking to the bear. I know he didn't understand what I said, but he did understand that I was clearly a threat. After a few minutes the bear turned to his left, got down on all fours, and walked away.

The guy on the ground, who had been razzing us all week for carrying sidearms, said he was going to buy a .44 tomorrow.

Now, before some of you experts start telling me how stupid that was, and how badly we could have been hurt, I know. I heard all that from the guy on the ground. He was our Guide. After the lecture he thanked us for saving his life.

BTW, the bear on the left in the picture was the one the guide was skinning.