Old 09-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Wartrace , Tennessee
Thank you all for the responses. You have given us many items to consider

Old 09-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
BK, I've got a 91 Ford Explorer with the v6 engine I use to pull our 25' AS with thru the SE and have made trips thru the Smokey's several times. Like some say, you may be slowed down on the major hills I always made it and never had any issues with handling. 19' to a 25' are good sizes to us.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Wartrace , Tennessee
Streamracer- thanks for the insight. 85% of our usage will be inside GSMNP and surrounding public lands. I was concerned about the towing up such inclines.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Carlisle , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKHall View Post
Streamracer- thanks for the insight. 85% of our usage will be inside GSMNP and surrounding public lands. I was concerned about the towing up such inclines.
Generally the thing to be concerned about is going down, and handling in wind where the vehicle gets pushed around. Your Tacoma (along with most modern vehicles) makes as much horsepower as an F350 diesel did in 2000. While you may need to dip into the throttle some, up is not going to be a problem.

If you have the factory tow package you should be just fine with the 16 or 22 sport, the 19 FC is also OK and nominally you can even tow the 20 FC but you would be close to the limit on the hitch weight with water and gear.

Without the tow package your only option is the 16 because the hitch weight is only rated @ 350lbs.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:46 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have the 16'. First off, we don't change in the bathroom. So, we generally do two things there. The shower has never been a problem. We don't wipe it down after, it just dries on its own. We leave the curtains open to dry and it's all good within a few hours. Moving around isn't a problem either. We keep the dinette down all the time and use it as a lounge with extra pillows. This way, underneath becomes a place to put buckets/baskets of misc for the trip. Hopefully we will be eating outside but if not, we use folding tv bed trays. It's amazing how much bigger the interior is with the table down. It also makes it cozy to read, chill. We've had great storage ideas and organizing options for the closet. We have two bath towels which are enough to for us. Extra small ones are stored in the cabinets. We've never had any issues with the tanks , we schedule our time at the dump. We have been out for close to two weeks with bikes and haven had problems. Ours is a 2012 with the door facing the exterior door, so sometime we just enjoy our view...

Our friends have the 19' and having the extra sink would good when one of you have contacts but it hasn't been an issue. And not having an oven is not a problem! Our microwave is a storage box and I imaging that an oven would be the same most of the time.

Sorry I got off bathroom topic. The wet bath is not an issue for us. We are smaller but my knees still hit the door when it is shut all the way.

I think the 16 can't be compared with anything. It's in class by itself with its own mindset. It's small. Period. And really cool.
And, most importantly, you really have to love the person you share it with. No room for arguing! <3
Old 09-27-2016, 03:16 AM   #34

Cranbury , New Jersey
4.0L towing capacity is not really big, so I'd rather put a smaller bats just to reduce the weight. This may also result in a better mileage.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #35
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
BAAMbi7, we agree that that the 16' is fine for us gung-ho campers.

I note that you live in Arizona, where your air is normally really warm dry. In more humid and northerly places, drying out the interior can be a problem. We just camped in a provincial park in BC, where the weather was clear, but with cool days and cold nights, it was not possible to keep all the condensation out or dry out anything wet.

This is a work-around, but something for people to consider.

The main advantage of sink #2 is hygiene. One sink does for all kinds of post-potty hand-washing, teeth-brushing, and dish washing. We solved the problem in Bambi I by frequent use of baby wipes in the loo and Lysol wipes to clean out the sink frequently, notably prior to dish-washing. We also wash larger loads of dishes in a stackable plastic tub, especially where we can throw out the water outside.

Either way, small is beautiful. Especially when it is aluminum.

Either way, be prepared for lots of questions about your petite Airstream during your travels. They do attract attention.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:20 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAMbi7 View Post
We have the 16'.

I think the 16 can't be compared with anything. It's in class by itself with its own mindset. It's small. Period. 3

This sums it all up. As a long time 16 owner, couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Adoptee -- '78 Argosy 24' Moho -- Big Girl
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
I pull a 20 foot Airstream with my 2012 Dual-cab 4.0 liter, and it's great... until you get to the mountains. The brakes are great, and the truck controls the trailer just fine, but the naturally aspired V6 is underpowered at altitude. I've been through mountain passes with it, but at 9,000 feet going up all I could muster was 27 mph with my foot to the floor in 1st gear.

Here in the midwest, and in my trips to Florida, it's been fine, so don't count out the 20' model, much less the 19, which is slightly lighter.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Hope I'm not too late with my input. We are seriously considering full-timing with our 16'. We're both smallish and the wet bath works great for us if we have full hook-ups. Husband wipes it down with a used bath towel after we're done. We like the bed setup on the 16'. We've been towing with an '03 4L Ranger with no issues. Slow uphill in lower gears and slow going downhill in lower gears to save breaks. About to upgrade to a F 150 for 2 main reasons. The wider TV so we can see what's behind us and more fuel capacity so we don't have to fuel up every 200 miles.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #39
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Full-timing in a 16' Bambi? Happy trails to you!