Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
In the mid seventies, I was Operations Officer for a three branch bank in Sacramento County. I was also designated Security Officer. I attended several Security Seminars where the speaker was Jeff Owen, Head Security Officer for the Bank of America. Jeff reviewed every BofA robbery himself. That was nearly a full time job, as BofA was getting hit almost daily.
Jeff's stories were endless, and the several times I heard him speak, he never repeated a story. Most were regarding what tellers would do when confronted by a robber. Sometimes they did as they were trained to do, sometimes not, but all of his stories were great.

I'll share some.
A teller at a BofA in Chinatown, San Francisco was giving up her money to a robber as trained. When she had it all on the counter, she looked up at the robber, put her hands on the money, pulled it all back and said "You no takey my money, I no balance!". The robber saw that things were not going his way, turned and ran out of the bank.

One afternoon Jeff was standing in a teller line to cash a check after doing an investigation. The guy in front of him presented the teller with a note to rob the teller. Jeff saw what was going on, walked up behind the guy, introduced himself, told the guy he was armed, took the guy into custody.

I really enjoyed listening to Jeff Owen at those seminars. The upshot of his stories was that no matter what you think you might do, no matter what the training, when confronted with a situation, other factors just may guide your actions.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Had just a little experience with bank robberies. Used to be a bank manager in Los Angeles. I was in nine bank robberies. Had everything happen from some just like the one in this thread where people did not even know it happened.to being walked around the bank with .357 mag jammed in my armpit while he took down multiple tellers to somewone that put a 12 guage shotgun blast in the ceiling and yelled "everyone down on the floor now". I worked for Bank of America and their rules were and probably still are that you cooperate with the robber,get a good description if you can, get them on the cameras and get them out of the bank. The doors were locked perserve the scene of the crime and to retain witnesses. It's a very good policy that works. The guy that walked me around with the .357 was captured right behind the bank by two LAPD detectives that were cashing checks at our drive up window and I told the cops what had happened over the intercom. That's how I know it was a .357. The guy that put the 12 guage round in the ceiling well he died in our parking lot shortly after leaving of extreme lead poisoning. Seems he had a bad habit of hitting two banks every other Thursday along a route that paralleled the 101 freeway in the San Fernando Valley. The LAPD knew about his pattern but did not know which banks exactly he was going to hit. I was wearing a radio beeper that alerted the LAPD and they were waiting for him outside. They had more shotguns than he did. It was against bank policy to carry a gun even with a permit. You could be fired for it. I carried a gun to work with me for years after that.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I never could understand why someone would rob a bank. Teller limits were very low, usually under $1,500. Getting into the vault takes lots of time. You get your picture taken, maybe get red dye all over you, and get the cops, sometimes the FBI after you.

There was a guy in Sacramento who got the red dye treatment. Didn't seem to bother him though, he took his buddies to a bar to celebrate. The bar tender saw the red money and called the cops.

Another dumb crook story.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Had to chuckle - the 'suspect' guy in the pics above didn't even wear his sun glasses (hanging from his shirt) when he faced right into the camera...those cameras have really improved - clear, sharp color photos, these days - guess I'll wear my Tux next time I go to the bank - got to look sharp for those cameras....
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Shane,

You did good. It is always better to be a live witness than a dead statistic.

Even cops are trained to be a good witness when off duty, unless deadly force is required to save their life or the life of another in such circumstances.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Flashsilver, re-read the original post. You'll find the following two statements...
If my reply sounded like I was second guessing you, I am sorry, that was not my intent. I was trying to reassure you that things worked out well given the circumstances. It sounded like you were beating yourself up for letting such a thing happen. Of course you would not have drawn your weapon if you had it with you, that was my point. You did exactly as you should have, armed or not. I am glad everyone survived without trauma.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Shane
Maybe it was a good thing you were not armed. The inclination is to draw your weapon,and in this situation where you did not see a weapon or were not threaten yourself,you would not have been justified in shooting the robber. We have been given the privilege of carrying a conceal weapon,but there is a very fine line here that one darn not cross when it comes to shooting someone even a robber.
I have a strapless shoulder holster that can be worn even under a tee shirt and is virtually undetectable. I carry my Glock 19 and no one knows but me.
PM me if you would like the details Shane.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #22
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
What would you have done if you had your weapon with you? Would you have drawn it, shot the robber, or tried to stop him?
As a law abiding citizen... even with a Concealed Carry Permit you are not allowed carry a weapon into a bank, school or government buildings. If the rober did not show a weapon you would be brought up on charges for brandishing a weapon, attempted murder or murder.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #23
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
As a law abiding citizen... even with a Concealed Carry Permit you are not allowed carry a weapon into a bank, school or government buildings. If the rober did not show a weapon you would be brought up on charges for brandishing a weapon, attempted murder or murder.
Yes, here in Texas We can carry a Concealed weapon in a bank. I have served the cheif of Police of Ft Worth before in his office while carrying <goverment building>.
I as a CCW holder cannot carry on or in a :

Court House
School Facility
Liquor Store
Any establishment that derives 51% of it's income from alcohol.
Any establishment that has a sign posted in English and spanish that no guns are allowed on this premesis. It's called the 30.06 rule.
Major Sporting event.
Hospital

Places I can carry concealed, that you would think I can't:

Unless sign is posted

Any police department,Post Office,Any City building,...<i.e city Hall>,water department.....e.t.c.
State Fair
Pretty much anywhere except what is stated in the first paragraph.
Malls
Movie Theatres
Banks
Library
Resturants
I carry to church.

BTW, even the places with the signs, I carry anyway. If it's concealed then who knows anyway? Plus it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Thanks for the support posts. I'm still kicking myself for not knowing what happened , right in front of me. Not that I would do anything different but just being that caught off guard is disturbing.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
God bless Texas. ;>)

One more thing. Do not carry in a Federal bank... the law is different than your state law.

In any case, even if a person is found in violation of the CCW laws, it DOES NOT mean they would be arrested for murder if the shooter found it necessary to use the firearm to save their life or the life of another. THAT would require a finding that the elements for the given crime of murder were present. There's a better way of explaining that but I'm trying to keep this short.

However, even if a shooting is justifiable, a person is still subject to the laws pertaining to CCW's and other state and federal laws.

In all cases, it is best to be in full compliance of the law. Anything short of that can be such a pain, even if you win in court.

Keep your powder dry....

Dan