Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bambi or 16' CCD

It's come to this. If the wife can't go ... No more fishing for me. Well after looking for several months an AS is the only choice. Great look and a good start for a couple of RV rookies. Have seen the 16' and is sweet. The size seems ok for two and the dog. Any concerns from the experienced out there? Needless to say, that great look and design comes at a cost. Any insight, going into the dog days of summer, how much wiggle room we can expect from the limited dealers out there in the Western US? Any tips as to options or upgrades that are essential and other items (i.e. gererators) that should be considered. Looking forward to hitting the road with our new AS, but need guidance. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:53 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Welcome to the forum!

We are also RV rookies, and just bought our vintage trailer in April. I can tell you it's 17ft long, and it feels like plenty of room for two of us and two dogs. We're out and about all day anyway, so there just needs to be enough room inside for everyone to crash in the evening.

As for things like generators, do you have any idea if you plan on staying in parks with hookups, or parking by the lake to fish? Although we had planned on being mostly in paarks, we have ended up without hookups on about half our trips so far. The tanks and batteries seem to last the whole weekend for us, but we don't have any devices which gobble up the energy either. People with new units can tell you how long you can expect to last unplugged.

Fill out your profile so we know where you are. I just met a fellow with a new Airstream Classic and he bought it at George Sutton RV in Eugene, Oregon. He said he shopped around got the best price from them, even after trying to haggle other dealers. I don't know if they are close to your area but they might be worth checking out.

Good luck, I think the Bambi is a neat little unit, and so is the CCD, from what I've seen in pictures. My husband didn't want a trailer until he saw the Bambi, and it completely sold him. I hope you guys will enjoy whatever you get.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:31 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You need to look at both trailers before you make a decision. I have looked at the new Internationals and the CCD's and I contend that the more traditional interiors seem to be finished better both from a fit and finish but also from a design level.

I looked at a 28' International at the dealership and the salesman and I remarked at some wood trim at floor level which had a remarkably unfinished rough cut look and based on its design showed all the uglyness of the wires and other things behind the trim.

I've seen multiple CCD's with scratches on the pretty inside exposed aluminum. Maybe this will all work out in time but its just not my cup of tea for a vehicle in this price range.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:01 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I can say with first hand exp that with two and a 70# pooch, the 19' is the right choice. I could not fathom trying it in the 16'. That's not to say it couldn't be done, but I have to say that the 19' works very well and we seem to have fairly similar situations.

I agree with Jack that you should look at both and make a decision. But the 19' is my suggestion. The 16' would take a bit less of a tow vehicle, but with a solid V8 among a few other things, the 19' is extremely trailerable.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Bambi's are awesome!

We just love the Bambi ('03). It has everything we want and need, with lots of storage space for 2 people and 2 small dogs. It's not difficult to maneuver, and every time we stop for gas, etc., we get numerous compliments about what a cool looking unit it is.

I've been known to comment that I'd work a second job if I had to just to keep this little baby!

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Another happy Bambi owner

Like the others, we love our '02 Bambi. Although we did an interior makeover immediately after taking delivery, we considered it just part of making it ours. Something else to consider when weighing the 16CCD vs the 19Bambi, COST. The 16'CCD is MORE expensive that the totally tricked out Bambi and with the Bambi you get a real shower, a larger refrig, a stove and OVEN, AC, as well as more overall space. I really like the layout of the 16' CCD but wish they had done it on the 19' chassis as that would have solved so many issues. If the CCD look is what you want, then seriously consider the 22' or 25' CCD. If you just want the International styling then there is the 22' AS which is another nice layout. The 16' is interesting, but given the cost, it really seems a fish out of water to me
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:13 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree with David totally here. I do think that the A/C also either comes with the 16' or it's an option. I've seen factory pic with a roof unit on one.

Also we get the campers all the time asking to see the inside. Either way you go, you'll get the same thing.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

19-footer all the way

Shep,

Our 2001 19-foot Safari (Bambi) is great for my wife and I, our daughter and our yellow lab. We are a close family, and find that 19 feet is plenty of room for us. In fact, we are planning to retire in this camper and do some extensive full-timing. Although we haven't been in a 16-footer, I have heard from others that it is really more of a solo-type unit. I would strongly suggest that you talk to owners of 16-footers before you commit, but as a happy owner of a small camper, I can say this: Only you know how big is big enough, and don't let anyone sell you on more camper than you need.
cactushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:52 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Bambi

Everyone thanks all for the help. We continue to send out requests to dealers in the Western US. Our intention is to use close to the streams and smaller campsites, so the smaller unit plays well. We liked the shower set up in the 16', but is not a full shower like the 19'. The toilet is tight on both. Like the CCD style, but good point on the scratches and finish. Didn't even think about it. Will fill out bio. We are in LA. Plan to tow with a 1500 Silverado ... 5300 engine.

dtbw .. Will check out the 22, but have not been able to find with international interior.

Thanks again everyone.

Shep
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
To add to the 19' Bambi's advantages:

Two batteries

More room for a solar panel

Larger wardrobe

A bed where all one sleeper has to do to get out of bed is crawl past the other's feet, not crawl over their midsection.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:47 AM   #11
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Bambi

Quote:
Originally posted by Shep
Our intention is to use close to the streams and smaller campsites, so the smaller unit plays well.
Shep
Hi, Shep!

We started with a '70 Safari 23' with 3 kids. Later we had a '61 Bambi 16' with one kid left; and now we have a 34'. I can tell you that the 23' with the full-time bed (essentially the same layout as the new Bambi 19') was MUCH more convenient than the 16' Bambi. It was also no more difficult to park or tow. The Bambi 16' was VERY confined. It's greatest asset was it's "gee-whiz" value and "cute quotient". Practical it was not, even for over-nighters. One of the issues is bed storage. You have to make the beds everynight, then put them away every morning. The bedding takes space, and lots of it; a commodity that 16' trailers just don't have. Typically, the bedding takes up the wardrobe which is not a big deal for weekends, but certainly is for three people for a week or longer. Do you REALLY want to have to make up the beds and put them away EVERY day, particularly if you're considering full-timing in it?

Having full-timed (solo) in my Safari for 8 mos, and my Bambi for 2 mos, I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a 25' for fulltiming now; hence our 34' Behemoth!

Best of luck with your search!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 05:46 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Full-time bed

Quote:
Typically, the bedding takes up the wardrobe which is not a big deal for weekends
You have hit on the main reason that I will never own a trailer without a full-time bed. Not only do you not have to hassle bedding twice a day, but also there will be storage available under the bed, inside, outside, or both.

Bedding takes up an enormous amount of space. Just our bedspread, folded at night, makes a sizeable bundle.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:52 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We have found that we don't mind the fold out bed in our Caravel at all, but we are weekenders. In the Caravel the bedding, pillows and all, fits behind the back of the gaucho when it's folded up. Unfolding the bed and making it simply involves pulling the bedding away from the wall and slipping the corners back on. I thought the design was all very clever, and making the bed and putting it away again only takes a minute.

However, I don't think this is an issue for them either way, because all the AS now have permanent full-size beds if I'm not mistaken, and they are looking at new units, not vintage.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:22 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Shep

We are in Orange County, use the Bambi for weekends in the local mountains, desert and beach. Spent 10 days along the central coast from Pismo to Big Sur. I beleive the 19' Bambi is ideal for the use we put it too (though the cramped toilet does sometimes make me wish for a larger unit). I have to say that we use most every inch of the Bambi in terms of storage and I think anything smaller would put a definite cramp in things. The outside storage locker in the Bambi is small as is, and hard for me to get to things at the back as my shoulders do not fit into the opening. Not sure of the capacity of the 16' for storage, but I'd sure not want to have any less then I have, and we do not take along anything not needed.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Rick.... if you think the 19' head is a bit croweded, I wonder how bad the 16 footer is. Doesn't the 16' have a wet bath too?

Eric
Old 07-17-2003, 02:38 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Traffic stopper

I brought up the Airstream factory site a bit ago, and what should pop up in the random photo but the 16' CCD. That has to be a real traffic stopper. I'll bet you would get a constant stream of questions and "lookie-Lous" in a campground. I get enough questions and lookers on with the 22'.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:40 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

what size Bambi or CCD

I wonder if our local AS dealer is blowing smoke - he told me that the factory isn't making any 16 ft anythings! "they're in the brochure" I said. He, "Yeah, but they're not making them." True/False???
Also, when I looked at one earlier Bambi that was on the lot, used - I was told that the 16 ft did not have a bath/shower.
Wonder what's going on?
p.s. haven't checked in for a while but work on the '57 Bubble continues. Belly now off and frame restoration in progress along with floor. jw
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 05:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I took a picture of one on the production line on the factory tour we took.

Unlike the one in the brochure, this one has a wet bath/shower and an AC, but does NOT have the wrap-around rear window of the earlier prototypes. A cost trade-off for the shower.

So they are making at least a few.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:10 PM   #19
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
smallfry,

I live up here in Templeton ... about a mile from you-know-who. Their entire sales staff was hired from McCarthy Wholesale in SLO ... that's right, they are all used car salesmen!

I'll bet they pitched you on the 19 they have in stock.

I found their product knowledge to be just terrible .. they have a lot to learn.

Yes, the 16 is being made by AS.

I was at Toscanos in Los Banos last week .. I think I saw one but did not look as I was interested in the other end of the spectrum .. a 34. It certainly looked like a 16 from the outside.

Also, I do know the George Sutton in Oregon has at least one. So .. yeh, they are being made.
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 07:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Yes, Virginia, there is a 16 foot Airstream ...

Colonial Airstream in New Jersey has already sold a couple of 16 ft CCDs. They had one on display at the WBCCI International Rally in Burlington VT just a couple weeks ago. I checked it out and found the storage to be impressive (with a very cool outside access door to the under-bed storage), but I would agree with the others than it is not comparable to a 19 foot Bambi.

It depends on how you use it -- the 16 footer is not something I'd want in to inhabit for an entire rainy day, but it would make a great weekender and day-tripper. Kinda pricey, though, so the only way I could justify it would be on the basis that I could buy a lesser tow vehicle than I would need for a 19-footer. That wasn't the strongest justification in the world, and ultimately, we didn't see the economics of it ...

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote