Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Back from our Maiden Voyage!!

We're back from our first outing to the NC mountains. We had a great trip, and learned a lot about what we need for future trips.

We travelled with friends who have a brand new SOB with slides, outside shower, etc...all the modern equipment. I have to admit, I was feeling a little inferior until my husband and I watched both of them struggling to get one of their windows to open. (We had just went in the AS and opened all of our windows effortlessly!)
Then their slide leaked when it rained.

The best part of all was a neighboring camper telling me that she and her husband were 'admiring our Airstream' as we pulled into the campground. Better still, I was sitting under the awning of our friends' camper when she told me this! Made me feel great that we got complimented on our 32 year old, paid for AS!!
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Cool Congratulations!

Get used to the compliments, because you will get them everywhere you go. It took Tom and I an entire season of camping before we started feeling like we had the set-up thing pretty well knocked out. We can now back into our site, level the camper both directions, hook up all utilities, pull down the awning, set up the kitchen, and even put on the trashy trailer lights -- all in about 30 minutes or so. Believe me, this is huge progress!

People at gas stations, rest stops and campgrounds are always asking us about our Bambi. They all seem to appreciate the excellent reputation for quality. We're sure proud to own one. . . although I can't say ours will be paid for anytime soon.

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Accolades

Mine isn't 32 years old (it is paid for), but I have never been in a campground yet where someone hasn't commented favorably on the Airstream.

I have had two SOBs and no way would I go back. The one-year old SOB parked next to me onone side already looks old and his slide is visibly sagging. On the other side is a little white box with the foldout tents on both ends; it is so ugly that I wince every time I look at it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Things must be different out your way. In the campgrounds we've stayed in nobody has spoken to us, about the airstream or otherwise. A couple people have waved at us on the street and asked if we wanted to sell it, but that's all. Otherwise it hasn't really gotten much attention.

I still love it though!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
We live in South Georgia........

where we don't see a lot of locally-owned Airstreams. You do see a lot of them going up and down I-75 in and out of Florida. Regardless, we get a tremendous amount of attention over our trailer. This past weekend we had a couple of young men stop by to ask if they could get a tour. The fellows have been looking for a trailer for camping and hunting. They had seen many, many SOBs, but had never been in an Airstream. The comments were "perfect" and "it's so re-tro!" We sent them down the country road to my brother-in-law's place so they could see his 1962 Avion.....another truly "retro" experience. Owning this thing is as much fun as using it.
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: We live in South Georgia........

Quote:
Originally posted by joe hall
where we don't see a lot of locally-owned Airstreams. You do see a lot of them going up and down I-75 in and out of Florida. Regardless, we get a tremendous amount of attention over our trailer. This past weekend we had a couple of young men stop by to ask if they could get a tour. The fellows have been looking for a trailer for camping and hunting. They had seen many, many SOBs, but had never been in an Airstream. The comments were "perfect" and "it's so re-tro!" We sent them down the country road to my brother-in-law's place so they could see his 1962 Avion.....another truly "retro" experience. Owning this thing is as much fun as using it.
While I was getting the roof replaced on our house and some trees removed our Airstream and tow rig was parked in my neighbors drive for a week. She told me she had somebody come by and want to look at it and buy it LOL.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
We've had people at several campgrounds and several NASCAR races stop to talk to us about our Airstream. Most recently, we were at the Pirateland Campground in Myrtle Beach. Like the others, we were surrounded by bunches of new 5th wheels, motor coaches and the like. Sitting at our picnic table eating breakfast one morning, I noticed two gentlemen around the back of our camper. Thinking my hubby hadn't hooked up the "poop chute" properly, I asked if we had a problem "back there"...in my mind, I pictured raw sewage spewing everywhere! Fortunately, there was no problem. Turns out both were vintage Airstream owners from Bowling Green, KY just a couple hours south of us. They were with a church youth group and didn't bring their units on this trip. We talked a long time about our trailers and the WBCCI (they are both members). Funny thing is, they both have internet access and had never heard of this site! They must lead a sheltered life

Wasn't there an old ad campaign "you meet the nicest people in Airstreams"? I totally agree!

Debby
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:54 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
[i]
Wasn't there an old ad campaign "you meet the nicest people in Airstreams"? I totally agree!

Debby [/B]
That was actualy a Honda motorcycle advertisment back in the 1960's. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". (As opposed to all the mean biker types on Harleys )
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I keep mine at the house and barely a weekend goes by without someone stopping to chat or comment on it. I had three, yes 3 people, ask me if I wanted to sell it on one Saturday!! I usually run them off pretty quick after that just to keep them away from the wife. (She wants a newer one with lighter interior colors), I would like to keep it for a few years and enjoy it, seems like I put a bunch of work into one and then find another I like better.

A fella last weekend wanted to know if I could polish up his Avion just like mine.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Can't Blame Them for Trying!!

That's actually how we purchased ours. My husband saw it sitting in a yard, stopped and struck up a conversation with the owners about it (who were 90 and 82). He told them if they ever wanted to sell it to give us a call. A few days later, they called and offered it to us....said they were hoping for one more camping trip but due to their health didn't think they could do it.

They said that people stopped all the time asking if it was for sale....but they never wanted to until our "nice young family" came along. They said they could tell we really wanted it and would take care of it.

We are going to send them a picture of our campsite from the Maiden Voyage, to let them know they were right!!
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #11
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
We pulled into a campground to meet my parents and brother, both own new SOBs, my Dad has to visit with everyone in ear shot. The guy next to him was a truck driver from Wisconsin, said he just loved that "new" Airstream with us. As far as people stopping, the first month we had our SLY, we accused my wife of setting up a road block to herd people through it. She dragged our pastor 2 blocks so he could see it. She is still not shy about showing it off, but just about everyone in the 2 state region has seen it by now. I am sure when the photo archive is up, she will post some new ones for you guys.
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 04:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Re: Can't Blame Them for Trying!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 71Overlander

They said that people stopped all the time asking if it was for sale....but they never wanted to until our "nice young family" came along. They said they could tell we really wanted it and would take care of it.
That is a sweet story! I have sold a few cars and boats and over the years and could care less who's hands they end up in but with my Airstream would be a totally different story. I did feel kinda bad about selling my Argosy to a cute yuppie couple who were going to use it for a home office, what a waste seeing it just sitting in their driveway. Who know's maybe they will get the camping bug and head on down the road with it. (if they didn't gut it )

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We have a membership to a local Coast to Coast park in Joslin, IL and we are the ONLY AS there, amongst all the big, expensive stuff. People just stare and the brave ones ask if they could see the interior; even though ours is not real vintage(1998). We considered a new unit and after looking at the new models, ours(paid for) looks really good; so we'll keep it! and love it more and more!
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote