Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
allen

2005 25' Safari
gainesville , Georgia
awnings on Safari 25'

Opinions on insalling awnings on rear b.r. and s/s. bed room. How often does one use them. I just have a curb awning at this point. allen
allen waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen waters
Opinions on insalling awnings on rear b.r. and s/s. bed room. How often does one use them. I just have a curb awning at this point. allen
Allen,
I have awnings curbside, over the rear window, the road side bedroom window and the front roadside windows...we use ours all the time. About the only time we don't is late in the fall or winter when we want the sunlight to come in. They also come in handy during a summer shower to help keep the blowing water out of the partially open window.

What brand of awning do you currently have?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
awnings on Sfari 25'

Greetings Allen!

Quote:
When my original A & E Travel Awn 5000 failed on the Overlander, I decided to splurge on ZipDee awnings for the curbside patio position, rear bath window, and the streetside bedroom windows. My experience has been very similar to Aaron's -- I nearly always open my window awnings even if I choose to leave the patio awning closed. I know that I have never regretted my decision to have the window awnings added to the coach -- in fact, I will likely have a similar set of awning installed on my Minuet once its turn for exterior restoration arrives.

In the days prior to the 30-AMP section at the WBCCI International Rallys, these window awnings were indispenible as they helped to shade the windows.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Great information. Adding to my plans......
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Since you are in Georgia, the sun is pretty hot. If you intend to spend any time inside during the day I would install them. It will also cut down on the load on your air conditioner, if you have one. If you park in the woods all the time maybe they would not be necessary. If you have the 60's awning windows you could just use snap covers on them. I have seen this work pretty well if you want the windows open but do not want direct sun coming into the coach. They really keep the temperature down when used in combination with door side awning and all the roof vents open. Pretty cheap to make and easy to apply. They do not help with the rain problem.

You might consider painting your roof white, like the late model Airstreams. It reduces interior temperatures 10 to 15 degrees in the bright sun.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:45 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
We added a single street side awning on our '01 Safari. We had our choice of two awnings on the streetside (one on the streetside front and one over the streetside bedroom, or one long awning that would cover both windows). Cost of the two was almost identical of the one longer awing. We took the longer awning in order to reduce the overall sun exposure on the streetside.

On our Classic in addition to the curbside we have two streetside awinings and a rear bedroom awining. If we are parked where there is sun exposure in warm weather, I open all of the awnings up to reduce heat load. The awnings when opened also lend a minor amount of privacy to the windows.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
_

. , .
nothing says airstream livin' like awnings out!

hi allen

like others have noted, i use 'em lots.

on the 34 there are 5 awnings and i use them all. infact the 4 window style awnings are extended almost all the time while camping....the patio awning is rolled up when high winds or storms are expected or when the trialer is left unattended for a day, but i usually leave the street side out.

it is a pricey option/add on so deciding if it's worth it is an personal thing....but i use them every day and would have a hard time buying a unit without them.

shade, privacy, rain protection and plus....they are just cool looking.

really the blue striped versions or burgundy striped from past years are the coolest. yours is gray/silver? i wonder if zipdee has a striped silver cloth. if you are gonna go for it might as well check...bet the cost difference is small.

folks often forget that part of the price difference on the classic line is for the awnings all around.

happy camping and full sails ahead!

2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote