Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Awning questions

As I look at the Classifieds, dreaming of when we can have a 34' Airstream, I noticed something. Our Foretravel MH has Zip-Dee awnings, as do Airstreams. However, our coach has individual awnings over the windows in the living room area, dining room area, and bedroom (front to back on the curb side). We also have a large patio awning there. It looks like Airstreams only have the patio awning and bedroom awning on the curb side - no individual window awnings. True?

When parked, I generally have all of the individual window awnings out unless really high winds are expected. The patio awning goes out as needed when we are at the coach and winds are not too high. If the Airstream only has the patio awning, do you do as we do and put it out only when you are there are the winds aren't too strong, or do you have it out all the time?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not necessarly. I have seen many Airstreams with individual awnings. Personally I like the longer ones. They provide a lot more cooling shade.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
My '15 FC 27 FB has awnings all around.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Russellville , Arkansas
Identify Awning

Can anyone identify what type of awing this is on my 1972 ambassador land yacht. Also is there directions on how to raise it? We are gonna open it to inspect the condition and I don't want to damage it by doing it improperly. I have tried to search for a demo but because I am not sure of what type and the video all seem to be for newer ones I could use some help. Click image for larger version

Name:	AS2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	270831
amberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Hard to tell but from this distance and not with a close up picture the awning looks like a Carefree. The bent curved arms indicate that is what it is.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Our 34 Excella has shades for all. Curb side, stern, a long one which covers from galley kitchen window forward (bow) on the street(port) side.

The front has the center window protection which can be opened for shade or to open the glass.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
amberlink, my suggestion would be to have several people and a couple of ladders available when you try to deploy the awning for the first time. Take it slow and don't try to force anything. Yes, you might have to put some effort into getting things moving, but if it won't move at all don't try to force it to move. There is a powerful spring in the tube, and severe injuries are possible if it breaks or suddenly retracts.

You should have some resistance when you open it, as the spring inside the tube will try to retract it. If not, you may have to roll the awning up by hand (hence the need for extra people and ladders). Most awnings will have a strap hanging down that you hook and pull to open them. If you can't see that strap it might be wrapped up inside somewhere, or it may have rotted off. If that's the case you will have to unroll the awning by hand. Again, extra hands and ladders will be helpful.

Be safe.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
The arms look like angled top to bottom, that means not installed properly, also can not tell by enlarged pic. if fabric is torn but does not look rite at both ends. To extend if no pull strap, have person pull evenly both arms at same time, if no damage or pull strap can pur. new They slide into groove in tube when open. Agree looks like care free awning as What was basic awning at time of year trailer manf. Parts are still av. except for curved arms as care free only makes strait arms now. Post above is correct but if pulling on arms stand on ground not ladders, just reach about head high to pull. Make sure latch is released on arms [shown in pic. even with bottom of rear side window should be one same location front window.] If can not release push in on arms will release pressure letting latch slide up freeing arms to pull open
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Airstreams have basically whatever awnings the original purchaser choose to put on them. Some times the awnings are added by the dealer. Our trailers have the patio awning and then a long awning on the curb side and a short awning on the rear. We pretty much leave the curb side and the rear awning out when camped. Keeps some of the sun off the side of the trailer and we can leave the windows open. We put the patio awning out and put it up if there is a threat of a storm. At the fixed camp we leave the patio awning out more in worse weather but use tie downs at the front.
I know some people who have a pretty nice 34' for sale. Check the adds at TCPC and see if it is listed.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Russellville , Arkansas
Awning not installed correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
The arms look like angled top to bottom, that means not installed properly, also can not tell by enlarged pic. if fabric is torn but does not look rite at both ends. To extend if no pull strap, have person pull evenly both arms at same time, if no damage or pull strap can pur. new They slide into groove in tube when open. Agree looks like care free awning as What was basic awning at time of year trailer manf. Parts are still av. except for curved arms as care free only makes strait arms now. Post above is correct but if pulling on arms stand on ground not ladders, just reach about head high to pull. Make sure latch is released on arms [shown in pic. even with bottom of rear side window should be one same location front window.] If can not release push in on arms will release pressure letting latch slide up freeing arms to pull open
So you are saying it doesn't look like it is installed correctly? Is there directions on how to install one correctly anywhere I am not sure what part you are talking about as this is our first experience. Would you recommend taking it off and inspecting if off the trailer rather than trying to pull it out on the trailer? or would it be best to contact carefree and get the info from them?
Old 09-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Russellville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Here is a closer pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as15.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	270906  
Old 09-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlink View Post
So you are saying it doesn't look like it is installed correctly? Is there directions on how to install one correctly anywhere I am not sure what part you are talking about as this is our first experience. Would you recommend taking it off and inspecting if off the trailer rather than trying to pull it out on the trailer? or would it be best to contact carefree and get the info from them?
The arms that run from belt line up to roller should run strait with seam behind them also the locks that hold arms against side and closed are screwed into this vertical seam. In the pic. I only see lock at rear arm they can not work if arm is angled. The only I can think of is they are at angle instead strait vertical is bottom of arms are bolted into edge of floor [thru rub rail] with lag screws these older AS, the lags tend to not hold because of rot at side or being pulled out. Mine did I glued oversize wood dowel into holes center drilled installed larger dim. lags, first trip out all came loose again. when I returned home pulled awning off, pur. Zip-Dee next day. If they are angled won't hurt if fabric retracks strait. You can google care free for dir. how to install and wind springs. Sorry I gave dir. to person that pur. awning from me Ant Questions you can pm me or email at. bill73r1@gmail.com Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote