Old 03-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
I would not leave with the awning out. Ever. We have lost 2 awnings, and we were right there the whole time! The first time was in the middle of the night when a big gust of wind tore the awning about 4 feet along the top edge. We tried to repair it, but ended up having to replace it. The 2nd time was at the Steamboat Springs campground. We were inside on a beautiful day getting lunch ready, and my youngest son was sitting under the awning. A micro burst hit and flung the awning on top of the trailer - arms and all (they ripped off the side of the trailer!). It lifted my 10 year old son and his lawn chair off of the ground! Thankfully, no one was hurt. The camper did suffer some dents and dings. Weird thing is, the people on either side of us had no damage to their awnings! This was an SOB, not our Airstream. Definitely, put the awning down.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Tie down awning

I guess i've been afraid to tie mine down at the corners with ropes and staked to the ground. Seems to me it will make it even harder to put the awning up when you have to undo everything to roll it up.
Jim

Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
From this small sample, it appears Airstreamers sleep in "jammies", not nightshirts, underwear or nothing. Time for a poll?

We rarely use it because we are often off somewhere or so tired, we just fall into the trailer. When we do use it, we forget how to open it and struggle through it. Springs work fine though even with relatively little use, though more than 3 times.

Gene
Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
From this small sample, it appears Airstreamers sleep in "jammies", not nightshirts, underwear or nothing. Time for a poll?

We rarely use it because we are often off somewhere or so tired, we just fall into the trailer. When we do use it, we forget how to open it and struggle through it. Springs work fine though even with relatively little use, though more than 3 times.

Gene
Hospital scrubs make excellent jammies. As any doctor or nurse will tell you, it's socially acceptable to wear them in public, unlike real jammies that only Hugh Hefner can get away with wearing in public. Comfy to sleep in, too.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Thank you all, that answers that question. My trial did not quite pan out. First I unscewed the wheel lock on wach side all the way until it fell off (I think it needs a spritz of some kind of lube), then it looked like the only way to attach the other long arm was to cross it over to the otherside of the support it travels next too.(not sure that was correct) I did remember to use my straight arm to lift, but did not snap in since I was not sure it was set properly. Time for a refresher video. The awning was in perfect shape which was a plus. sbb
Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Mobile , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

Gene

Nothing... and I put the Awning up when not 'watching it'