Old 02-20-2003, 01:37 AM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Exclamation Asbestos concern in vintage A/S

I see a lot of posts here about repairing or replacing floors in vintage A/S's but very few cautions about asbestos that was used in many of the older A/S floor tiles. I think it would be a good idea if someone could post the years asbestos was used and the proper protective gear to use when working with and disposing of such. An ounce of prevention....etc...etc.
Asbestosis is a very serious matter.

Old 02-20-2003, 02:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I don't intend to either downplay or alarm folks with regards to asbestos...just inform. As a commercial interior designer, I run across it all the time in remodel projects. For those who are unaware or misinformed regarding asbestos and it's effects, here is a very informative webpage that simply states the different types and conditions where it is typically found:

National Safety Council Fact Sheet

Vinyl-asbestos tile is dependable and durable and it does not pose harm unless it is disturbed. It was the tile of choice for decades until it was discontinued for residential application in 1973. Manufacturers had until 1978 to deplete their stock and cease distribution. Asbestos had been used for almost 100 years as a binder in tiles. The asbestos in tile is not considered a health hazard because it is not friable or airborne. When removed however, it can become airborne and appropriate precautions should be taken or a professional abatement should be done.

The way you can tell if your tiles are asbestos is if they are 9"x9". When "they" quit putting aesbestos in vinyl floor tiles, the manufacturers changed the size to 12"x12". So if they are 12"x12" they don't have it & if they are 9"x9" they most likely do.

Now there is always going to be the off-chance that some "non-asbestos" tiles could be cut down to the 9"x9" size, but most people wouldn't go to that extra effort, although it has been done.

Shari

Old 02-20-2003, 02:53 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Thanks Shari

It would seem that anyone working with the older 9X9 tiles, as mine were when I replaced the bathroom tiles, short of hiring a pro, should check with a local safety supply store for a proper mask before disturbing them. I was lucky in that BobbyW cautioned me about the asbestos risk before I started the project. How about proper disposal? I wrapped mine in a sealed plastic bag and put in the trash but they might well be disturbed again when the landfill operator bulldozes them.
I'm not rushing out to buy duct tape and plastic sheeting to protect against terrorist attack but it seems that we might inadvertently be creating our own biological threat due to lack of info on handling such hazardous materials.
A good friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with Asbestosis stemming from his years of work in the construction industry. The prognosis is not good. Please be careful folks.

Rog
Old 02-20-2003, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Sorry to hear of your friend's asbestosis. This horrible desiese is certainly not anything any of us would want to be dealing with. I think the unfortunate key here is:
Quote:
...stemming from his years of work in the construction industry.
with unprotected exposure. Of course, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Shari
Old 02-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Detailed Instructions

Shari,

Thanks for your insight on this subject.

My father died from cancer that, started in his lungs and, was suspected to have come from his many years aboard U.S. Naval ships. Of course, the official disclaimer is, he smoked too.
For futher indepth look on safe floor removal:
http://www.asbestos-institute.ca/main.html
then click on,
Asbestos in your home.
And then go to:
Recommended work procedures for resilient floor coverings,
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 02:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Sorry Vern...your link didn't work.

Shari
Old 02-20-2003, 03:15 PM   #7

I just tried it. In spite of the fact that it says "NEWS: page cannot be found", it dit worked when I cliked on : "Asbestos in your home."
I then tried again, it did not work. Just be patient I guess, it looks like something worth the trouble to investigate.

Chantal
Old 02-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Exclamation Alert Box

I get an "Alert Box" each time I try it. It states:

"www.asbestos-institute.ca/main.html could not be found. Please check the name and try again"

Shari
Old 02-20-2003, 04:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Question your puter.

Well, guys...
I just tried it and, the URL link is good.
Could be the internet, your puter or, who knows?
Endless choices..
It's worthwhile reading, once you get there.
ciao
Here's the text from that site:
Supplies and tools
Heavy duty wall scraper with approximately 4" blade and 6" and 8" handle.
Hammer
Commercial type hand held not air blower.
Heavy duty impermeable trash bags (or closed impermeable containers), ties and labels.
Those areas normally exposed to heavy foot traffic patterns usually have tiles adhered the tightest. As a matter of good practice in starting the tile removal, those sections which receive least traffic should be the lcoations selected for starting the removal of the tile. Since tiles are normally in a 9" x 9" or 12" x 12" dimension, it should be the goal to remove individual tiles as a compelte unit.
Start the removal by carefully wedging the wall scraper in the seam of two adjoining tiles and gradually forcing the edge of one of the tiles up and away from the floor. Do not break off pieces of the tile but continue to force the balance of the tile up by working the scraper beneath the tile and exerting both a forward pressure and a twisting action on the blade to promote release of the tile from the adhesive and the floor.
When the first tile is removed place it, without breaking it into smaller pieces, in the heavy duty impermeable trash bag or closed impermeable container which will be used for disposal.
With the removal of the first tile accessibility of other tiles is improved. For the wall scraper under the exposed edge of another tile and continue to exert a prying twisting force to the scraper as it is moved under the tile until the tile releases from the floor. Again, dispose of the tile, and succeeding tiles by placing in the heavy duty bag or closed container without additional breaking.
Some tiles will release quite easily while other require varying degrees of force. Where the adhesive is spread heavily or is quite hard, it may prove easier to force the scraper through the thightly adhered areas by striking the scraper handle with a hammer using blows of moderate force while maintaining the scraper at a 25° or 30° angle to the floor.
If some areas are encountered where even the technique detailed in the previous paragraph proves to be inadequate, the removal procedure can be simplified by throughly heating the tile(s) with a hot air blower until the heat penetrates through the tile and softens the adhesive. NOTE: Handle the hot air blower carefully to avoid personal burns.
As small areas of subfloor are cleared of tile the adhesive remaining on the floor must be scraped up with the 4" hand scraper until only a thin, smooth film remains. In those areas where deposits are heavy of difficult to scrape the removal can be expedited by heating with the hot air blower prior to scraping. Deposit scrapings in a heavy duty impermeable trash bag or closed impermeable container.
As indicated in previous paragraphs, tiles should be placed immediately in a heavy duty impermeable trash bag or closed impermeable container. Do not attempt to break tiles after they are in the bag.
When all tiles have been removed from the floor and place in heavy duty bags or closed containers, seal the bags securely for disposal (see Sketch 18) and mark: "Caution * contains asbestos. Dispose in an approved landfill only."
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 02-20-2003, 05:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Oh well, thanks for posting that info from the site...sounds pretty straight forward to me.

Shari
Old 02-20-2003, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
discontinued for residential application in 1973
Airstream may have stopped using them right away, Mike just measured ours: 12"x12" in a 1974 (most of our interior looks original, I don't think there where changed).

Chantal
Old 02-20-2003, 06:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Recreated problem

Shari
Plse, never give up...
I think in your case, the problem may have been the quotation mark you used in front of the URL address www..
If I go by your example
Quote:
"www.asbestos-institute.ca/main.html
Try again without the quotation and, let us know if it works for you..
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 02-20-2003, 06:31 PM   #13
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
one other precaution

If you are going to remove or otherwise disturb asbestos floor tiles, dampen them first with a wet sponge to help prevent the particles from becoming airborne. Bear in mind that the adhesive may also contain asbestos. Think twice before sanding the floor. A thourough scraping should suffice.
Disposable rubber gloves are also a must.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
No Vern ~

I was clicking on your link...the quotation mark was the start of the quote that comes up when I clicked on your link. Don't worry about it, I'm comfortable with my knowledge regarding asbestos, it's hazards and removal proceedures. I just thought others may also have a problem with the link you provided, evidently not, and if it was broken you would want to fix-it.

Shari