Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
AS Quality? Your thoughts, is it worth it? Disillusioned Potential Buyer

Hello to all, I would like to hear your thoughts. I am new to the forum and learning quite a bit. After doing some initial research and reading horrible reviews on just about every RV travel trailer maker, I quickly realized that I may have to go the much more expensive AS route. I am new to RVing and still knew or so I thought that AS was supposed to be one of, if not the best. But, I am now feeling somewhat discouraged after reading numerous threads on this forum. Considering what I call a very steep price for a travel trailer (25-27ft), I would think that it would be a high quality product and come near perfect. I fully realize that all manufacturers have varying level of issues, but I just did not expect to hear so many complaints about AS. Are they resting on their laurels and now building on the cheap? As I read, folks are not happy about many things, such as the tires, the inverter, the solar panels, lack of 3 stage charger, poor battery management displays, hinges coming loose, cheap linoleum floors, microwaves falling out, TVs coming undone, quality issues of electronic things not hooked up or done right from the factory etc. This weekend, I went to a nearby dealer and looked at a FC 25FB. When I was by the bed area, the floor "creaked" and pretty loud. I kept stepping near a 2' x2' area and it kept doing it. The salesperson said that AS is known for that and that they recently repaired one. Is that true? After quite a bit of searching, I finally found a trailer that I like but after reading all these issues, it really has me reconsidering. I was excited looking for a trailer and finally found a 2017 FC 25FB that comes with 180w solar panels and was ready to pull the trigger but now not sure. I read a lot of negatives about factory solar and it was not a criterion of mine, but this one had everything I wanted and even with it, priced out well. It almost seem like it will be a continuous maintenance headache from the day I buy and I guess for that price point, I sure expected better. Am I only reading the percentage of folks having issues while most are happy campers? Am I missing something? Are the 2017s any better and addressed a lot of the issues mentioned?
gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
While I have done some things to update my trailer, it was elective surgery, not things that I had to do to use and enjoy the trailer. Example: updating the converter/charger to a better model.

The only thing that actually needed to be done was fixing the failed power jack, which turned out to be a bad motor. The floor shouldn't creak. Ours doesn't.

I love to tinker, and the trailer provides lots of opportunities for that kind of thing.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
AS Quality? Your thoughts, is it worth it? Disillusioned Potential Buyer

I recommend a trip to the factory in Jackson Center, Ohio to see how they are built. That is what sealed the deal for us. No other factory built RV compares. Even with all of the "issues" you read about here, you will still have a solid RV in 10 years with an Airstream. Not so much with other brands. It is an investment you need to take care of. Recommend you find covered or indoor storage, invest in a quality hitch system, use an adequate tow vehicle, and enjoy the riveted lifestyle.

2017 26U
2017 Ford F-250
ProPride 3P hitch
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
If you are already disappointed, you certainly will be later. We enjoy camping with our Airstream, but it is not worth the price premium. If you must have an Airstream because it is an icon, you will just live with the possible issues. I keep hearing that nobody builds them better for the same price. Sad if that is true.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I have probably addressed the "stats" view of this a dozen times (small % of buyers in the forums, high % of complaints vs. "all is well" posts, weekly production numbers vs. # of complaints, etc. etc.). I won't repeat it here.

If you're expecting perfection, it doesn't exist in any product.

The vast majority of AS owners are happy campers. Some of the quality misses are embarrassingly stupid, frustrating and inexcusable - still, it's the best trailer on the planet as far as concerned. I bought new in 2012 - no big issues, 4 seasons of awesome fun so far.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I lurk around several different TT boards. Funny thing is that the complaints and construction issues are virtually identical for every brand. Plus few go on a public forum to praise a manufacturer compared to complainers. Instead of dealing with the maker in the first place it is easier to complain to a bunch of strangers on the Internet.
To me Airstream ownership is as much a thing of the heart as much as any other reason. You either get it or you don't.
Personally I would recommend buying a several year old model and let someone else deal with any QC and warranty issues. Less ulcers that way.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
For every complaint you read about, there are many owners out there that never have any problems. The most important thing to look for is a manufacturer that will be there if you have a problem (Airstream will be) and a dealer with a good service department (there are some but you will have to look for them). We have had a few issues but they have all been resolved as of now. My brother recently bought a Class C from a well known manufacturer and on his first trip ALL his cabinet doors came apart. This was in August and his dealer said they could look at it in December and it would take 4 weeks to repair. He is still waiting.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
My only worry is leaks (I keep it in covered storage) and the tires (addressing that now). A new Bambi costs more than a nice box trailer and good used tow vehicle put together. I bought used; I would always rather someone else take the depreciation hit.

I ignore Consumer Reports and other rags when buying stuff. I bought an airstream because it's an icon and built next door on Ohio. Everything in my 4 year old trailer works perfectly except the sound system (someone messed with that). It's a breeze to tow and park.

My biggest issue with trailers and cars/trucks is always wanting a larger one. But it'll be another airstream.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you walk into a hospital and ask "are there any sick people here?", the number of complaints may surprise you.

That's what it's like coming into these forums.

Don't get me wrong, the forums are wonderful, full of wonderful people. But Internet forums in general attract people with problems, looking for answers.

So don't let the forums discourage you.

Bottom line: there's a reason Airstream has been in business so long and command such a price premium. They make quality products.

Are they perfect? Of course not. Nobody is. As with anything hand made by humans, there will be variations in quality. But Airstream is by far the best travel trailer out there, period.

You, as a consumer, need to also do your homework. Buying a trailer is not like buying a car. Sure, there are warranties, but you are basically pulling a house. Getting service is not as easy as with a car. And some things you're better off fixing yourself. This forum is a great resource.

So go buy yourself an Airstream and keep a positive attitude. Enjoy! With any luck you'll be like the majority of Airstream owners that never even post here because they're out there enjoying their Airstream.

Good luck!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #10
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Buy New

Personally I would recommend buying a new trailer. This way you are assured that the few deficiencies that appear are dealt with to your satisfaction, whereas with a used trailer you could just be buying the previous owner's problems with a trailer that is now out of warranty.

Another advantage of buying new is that you get the exact floor plans and features that you want. Any upgrades that you want - such as solar, converter etc. can be done to your specification and needs, not those of previous owner.

With new, you also know that the tires have always been properly inflated and that the running gear hasn't been subjected to abuse and that the trailer has been properly winterized (if the trailer is from a northern climate.)

The disadvantage of buying new is that there could be a large hit on depreciation if you decide to sell within a few years. However, if your plan is to keep the trailer for a long time then the depreciation difference between a new vs used trailer purchase becomes negligible.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The quality of build issues probably still remain, but not on all Airstreams. We bought ours fresh from the factory, went through it with a fine-toothed comb and found not a single issue, bought it on the spot and had them lock it up until we could get it home (showrooms and rv shows are not gentle to rv's).

Inspect the Airstream before you buy it, if you don't like the floor squeak, move on to another. Maybe he dealer can fix it to your satisfaction, maybe not.

The Airstream is a high quality shell and interior cabinetry. The shell is metal and susceptible to corrosion on a salt water coastal or winter road salt. We treat ours often with corrosion preventive products and have no corrosion anywhere in our sixth year. However if we planned extensive use on the beach, we should not have a metal trailer.

Our cabinetry, floor and interior is like new after 1200 nights camping in it. We take good care of it, use floor covering in sandy camping environments (most of them), keep it clean, and use a soft suspension tow vehicle with a flexible weight distribution hitch. Nothing has come loose or broken, and have had no original equipment failures with extensive cross-country travel.

Our original equipment and solar system all perform well. After two years we began to upgrade equipment to match our travel and camping needs. More reliable tires, higher capacity batteries, multi-stage charger, recliner seating and custom cabinetry for long term living room comfort, sway elimination hitch, vent covers, space heater, Sleep Number mattress last year.

It's near perfect for us and our travels, we inspect and maintain it regularly, it's as nice as new. No other travel trailer pulls or handles as nicely, our light truck handles it with ease. Hardly expensive, for us it's the best buy in the market.

You will like your Airstream only if you are satisfied with the build quality at purchase, inspect and maintain it and fix it as needed (which it most probably will), plan on upgrading equipment to suit you. If in doubt, shop elsewhere.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
AS qualilty

All, thanks for your inputs. As I mentioned in my opening remarks, I am aware that all builders have issues, I have owned cars, boats etc and agree but RVs is completely new to me. I am still enthused and excited about the possibility, just got concerned. Thanks FCstreamer, you are right on!

I do live in coastal Florida so now interested in the post that mentioned rust. I guess I'll have to stay on top of it like I have done with my boat and car.

Thanks again!
gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome, gonz. Any brand-specific forum is a good place to learn about that particular brand. Yes, there will be lots of questions about things that don't work as the owner thinks they should because this is the place to ask about such things. Sometimes the thing is working properly and the operator isn't.

Remember that nothing built by people is going to be perfect - ever. Much of Airstream is hand-made stuff, so there will be some variations and imperfections. As was mentioned above, go visit the factory. You will quickly learn why an Airstream costs twice as much as other trailers.

I think that those who are happiest with their coaches, regardless of brand, are those who buy a coach that really matches their needs and wants. They also are proactive in caring for their coaches, constantly looking for small problems and dealing with them before they become big problems.

If you are going to buy a new coach, whether from dealer stock or special order, be sure that the dealer makes enough money on the sale that he can afford to detail your coach to your satisfaction. That doesn't mean that you have to pay full MSRP, but if the dealership only makes $500 on your $150,000 MSRP coach, do you really think that they will be willing to have a couple of techs spend a week looking for and fixing small problems before you take delivery? Would you?

Please don't take that last paragraph the wrong way. There is always some room for negotiation, but people who get the "best" deals on purchase generally are at the bottom of the service list. If the dealer understands that you will be back for service work (at your expense, not just warranty work) you will soon find that things are taken care of even if you didn't ask for the work to be done.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
gonz, I went through the same thing. After reading a lot of posts, I worried I was spending a lot for the name and not quality. But after thinking about it and considering the words of several wise posters I went ahead with the deal. We took delivery of our 2017 28' Serenity International. There was not a single issue and it has exceeded our expectations. These are hand made machines so of course sometimes things might need adjustment, however Airstream stands by their product and will do what they can to ensure you are satisfied.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
....be sure that the dealer makes enough money on the sale that he can afford to detail your coach to your satisfaction. ...if the dealership only makes $500 on your $150,000 MSRP coach, do you really think that they will be willing to have a couple of techs spend a week looking for and fixing small problems before you take delivery? Would you?....
I'm appalled at that advice. "Be sure the dealer makes a nice profit" is unworthy of belief. Any AS dealer who's been in business for more than a year or two selling AS's knows how to make money. That should NOT be a concern of any buyer. A seller knows what his margin is and is not going to take any injury with the mindset he can make up low margin by refusing to provide after-the-sale service. Any warranty work is ALSO A PROFITABLE activity for a dealer, as he is paid by the factory for his labor. Additionally, that weak advice presumes that the buyer is either purchasing a troublesome product which will require difficult repairs the seller might not want to do.....or the dealer will refuse to perform his obligations to prepare the delivery and complete the sale.
Horsefeathers! Any dealer in AS's will want to preserve his reputation for follow up business and referrals by the buyer. It's called Economics/Marketing 101.
Gonzo, WELCOME to the tribe of AS owners. Keep in mind that most folks come here to the forums to seek info on mx and operations, and all such forums of this type have a cadre of whiners and complainers. The Airstream product is the best on the market.... period.
I personally do not wish to take the depreciation of pulling one off the showroom floor, but if that's your preference.... then as the buyer you get to choose. So many people new to RV-ing buy and shortly upgrade/upsize/downgrade/downsize to fit their needs that many sell slightly used units at bargain-prices compared to new units. I'm one of those who prefer to let someone else take the "hickey" and work out the "kinks" in new equipment. I bought a barely/lightly-used unit 5 years old for about 40% less than the original owner paid. After a year and a half, I have turned down offers more than I paid for it and it's not for sale!
Yes, I found a few weak points and I fixed them. And I modified a few things to better serve my needs. I found that the AS is indeed a better unit and worth the price of entry than other brands. I plan to keep it until I cannot camp anymore and then pass it to the kids or sell it and get my money back. I fully expect to take no loss if I maintain it.
Hope this helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Hi gonz- We bought our FC after looking at a few other trailers, and to us there was no comparison. We had to figure out a few things on our own (this being our first TT too), but we have had a ball taking it on short excursions, at times having driveway campouts with our grandkids, and meeting up with a group of several friends who all own and love their campers (not Airstreams).

Being a boat-owner, you know there will be issues, and you will figure out how to resolve those issues. The point is- enjoy making the choice. We aren't here forever, don't wait for someone to convince you to buy/not buy something. Get on with it and have fun!!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:11 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
We bought a used (2010) Flying Cloud a few years ago. Ours sits outside in the weather and it has been mostly trouble free. We have worked on a few small things that came up, but they have all been small issues that I could resolve myself. I think the quality is good. It is certainly much better than my parents "some other brand" trailer. I'm not sure it is worth the huge premium that Airstream charges, but we love ours anyway and do not regret purchasing an Airstream. We didn't try to justify the cost difference. We just decided we like the Airstream and if we were going to buy a trailer then nothing else would do. I agree that forums seem to focus on the problems. People either need help with a problem or they need a place to vent, but there are plenty of older Airstreams still around that are a testimony to the long term durability of the trailers.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
We are also about to buy a 2017 or 2018 Int'l Sig 25 FB next year. We are the typical about to retire couple. We have went to many shows and dealers. We are first timers also and decided to rent one for a week before buying. Our rental trip is in April, 2017.

However, for us it is not the icon factor. It is simply the styling. If we are going to spend 2-3 weeks at a time in a 200 square foot space it needs to be "our style".

The Airstream is the only trailer (or RV) that was our style. It was the only one that when I walked inside my inner self said, "This is cool", "This is well-designed", and "I can relax here and spend the night or the week".

I am not particularly handy and there are many, many complaints on this forum. However, I suspect that if a forum existed for each trailer/RV you would find a greater number of complaints. The Airstream is made by humans and there will be flaws. I have owned airplanes, boats and many homes. Have not yet found anything that moves or is lived in that was flawless.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am going to jump in again here as one of the "complainers". I do not complain just to complain; the reason is that I am disappointed. Over my life I have been conditioned to expect to pay for quality. Certainly this was true in cars and boats, homes, home repairs, electronics, and so on. Well, my whole point with Airstream is that the quality does not meet my expectation based on the price premium. I am not selling my Airstream, I am using it. I do not wish I had bought another brand.
But, after 3.5 years I now know about their construction methods, their shortcuts, their materials and it is my opinion that they do not deserve the price premium they command. With their QC you may get a perfect trailer, as many have, or you may get a lot of problems, as some have. Yet even if you get a perfect trailer, you need to be aware of the blemishes, like the converter/charger that will cook your batteries. Yes, it is all my fault. I did not have to buy an Airstream. I can even accept that there are none better, but I am still disappointed, having owned boats and cars with real quality built in.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #20
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We really like our Airstream, we really do, but I am disappointed in the overall quality of the build. Nothing huge, but enough to make me believe that from a material perspective, the price of entry isn't warranted. Am I going to dump our Airstream, no. Am I going to give Airstream a walk on water review/recommendation, no.

We enjoy ours, but that is perhaps more about the community than the trailer. I believe Airstream trailers are better constructed than most of the others, but I honestly expected more from them. Small things like the shower door seal tearing on a regular basis, loose hinges, broken plastic latches, squeaking floors are irritating and send the message to me that Thor/Airstream doesn't place enough emphasis on total quality.

Would I buy another, knowing what I do now? Maybe, but I would look more critically at the market. We also have a Northern Lite truck camper that has had no failures, no leaks, a converter that doesn't boil batteries, no loose hinges... Oliver trailers are built similarly to fiberglass campers, they enjoy a reputation for quality, and they would certainly be on my list to consider.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote