Old 07-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
niceville , Florida
AS quality control

I was interested if all of you would care to comment on what your opinion is of the factories quality control on new rigs. Good, bad or otherwise?

It seems only after you have had you rig a short while you begin to notice items that don't seem right?

Or perhaps the opposite, it is truly perfect?

What has your experience been in your first 6 months or so? What have you noticed that you would say slipped by the QC process? Or perhaps you don't have any?

Old 07-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapt59 View Post
I was interested if all of you would care to comment on what your opinion is of the factories quality control on new rigs. Good, bad or otherwise?
Bad.

Respectfully, I don't mean to be flippant...but please do a search; click on "Search," then "Advanced search" and type "quality" as a search term. Make sure you search "titles only." You will be amazed at what you find. You will be reading for days.

BTW...you will find numerous Airstream apologists who will decry any defects as due to the trailers being "handmade" and will give all SORTS of excuses as to why their $130,000 trailer is a rolling POS. Ignore those people...as usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle. But even then, the factory quality control is bad. Close to "non-existent" bad, and issues they've known about for YEARS (such as taillight and grab handle corrosion as well as major leaks) they simply REFUSE to do anything about as if they are thumbing their noses at prospective buyers because as it is, they CAN sell all they can build. So, there's absolutely NO incentive to improve quality control. NONE.

But, to reiterate...it's bad.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not good.

We had a 2010, 25' FC - bought used later that year, no issues. Then purchased a 2012 30' FC and again no issues. Long story but we now have a 2015 30' FC, odd issues which indicate not only questionable vendor sources but no real inspections at the factory.

The furnace has been a nightmare, we think after numerous trips to our then dealer and their diligent efforts it's now working ok.

The inspection or lack there of issues and I've forgotten some:

The entire kitchen sink area was not fastened to the trailer. After about 3,000 miles I was sitting watching TV and asked my wife "was there a counter overhang on the kitchen counter"; her answer was simply "not now". So, over time it, the counter and the base migrated away from the exterior wall. The counter was not fastened to the base and the base was not fastened to the trailer. I just kept pushing them back at each stop for the next 7,000 miles of our trip. (2) The A/C units worked last summer, did a good job, but sounded like the entire trailer was coming apart. There are wires and such up under the A/C covers, never tied down, so they rattled and hit the side all day and all night when it was hot enough to use them. (3) A/C with new duct-ed system did not cool the front, we did not have adjustable vent covers. We got some and that corrected the issue. Thank you factory for working with us and our dealer for fighting for us.

MOST issues that we had on our brand new unit were caught by our dealer in their prep before we took delivery, which is how it should work. The list they came up with concerning repairs was long and distinguished.

All this said, we had more issues with a very high end 38' Motor Home we had between 30" AS for about seven months.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Most RV manufacturers do not exercise a high level of quality control on their products. Airstream is no exception.

We have had one used and two new Airstreams over the years. We used them all heavily (almost 1,800 camping nights in ten years). They all had issues that were the result of poor quality control.

You have to remember that Airstreams are pretty much hand built. Things are always going to slip through the cracks. That's just the way it is.

Even with the flaws, we still love our Airstream. In talking to campers all over the country, it's pretty much the same story with all of the RV manufacturers.

It boils down to your choices are, get an RV and have as much fun as you can, or not.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
This is like walking into a hospital and asking "anyone sick here?". The response you will get will be a little skewed.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The search function is a useful tool.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The search function is a useful tool.
Nope. Searching with google works ok, but the stock search here is pitiful. You know, since we're talking about quality control.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I think poor to horrible in the past but improving. At the International Airstream announced several new programs addressing the QA issues at the plant and at their dealerships. Some are already in play and others are being rolled out as construction, hiring of new employees and training continue. I spent some time closely going over several new 2017 models that were on display at the International. They all came from a dealership. Absolutely beautiful fit and finish. I saw none of the commonly discussed issues here. That certainly does not mean that all was perfect. Personally I would have no problem buying a new Airstream if cost was not a personal issue.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
This is like walking into a hospital and asking "anyone sick here?". The response you will get will be a little skewed.
True. Any forum for anything will have more people with problems commenting than happy customers.

We've had two new units in the past 9 years, neither had any significant issue from the factory.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Same here. I guess we were lucky with our 2015 23D. Only problem that we had was a small leak in black water dump valve and broken plastic spacers in TV bracket arms. Since warranty service was a lot of hassle I just fixed both myself. Called Airstream and explained and they shipped the parts no charge.

Also a shout out to John's RV in Columbia SC. Great buying experience there. Not sure if the trailer came from the factory with no issues or if they did good prep but trailer has been great for two years and about 5,000 miles.

Steve
Old 07-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #11
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
No, not lucky. Just normal. Having issues is the exception, not the norm. It seems normal here because this is a forum where people with issues congregate. What is posted here has no bearing on Airstream's overall quality control.

I submit to you there are far more owners of Airstreams that DONT post here than those that do. And they are probably enjoying their trouble free trailers...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
No, not lucky. Just normal. Having issues is the exception, not the norm. What is posted here has no bearing on Airstream's overall quality control.

I submit to you there are far more owners of Airstreams that DONT post here than those that do. And they are probably enjoying their trouble free trailers...
Old 07-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
No, not lucky. Just normal. Having issues is the exception, not the norm. It seems normal here because this is a forum where people with issues congregate. What is posted here has no bearing on Airstream's overall quality control.

I agree. We had a few small issues we spotted when we went to pick it up. They were corrected by the dealer, and four years later, we are still happy. We are not full timers though. Possibly if we camped more often, I would have found a few other issues. I swapped out the power inverter, and I may go to a quieter water pump, but other than that. Pretty much trouble free. (Now I'm in big trouble.. Totally jinxed myself.)
Old 07-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Whether or not you actually have any problems, when you get into maintenance of your trailer you will likely be disgusted with observations of cheap parts, poor construction, and lack of maintainability. While this may be a characteristic of all RV's, it was not my expectation coming from cruising sailboats. Yes, I get to go camping and I do enjoy that, but I also know that I will have repair problems in the future that could have been avoided with a different concept of construction.
Larry