Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
AS Quality?

I expected high quality when I took delivery of my first AS, 2017 16 Bambi. Dead battery before first trip, rear compartment lock on one side stuck now and I am seeing rust on step in a dozen places as well as some rust starting on A frame and some paint bubbles with rust under.

Am I wrong to be worried?
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Better read some of the many threads about lack of AS quality these days. Apparently there are some trailers that are trouble free...or we do not hear about them. But many threads here discuss unacceptable quality problems generally attributed to higher production rates. Nevertheless, QC is lacking.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
One more

Has to go back to dealer so they can drill rivets and remove several walls to replace HDMI cable. TV end was pulled out of the metal end and jammed back against the TV connector so it would not be noticed right away. AS hands did this
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Yup. Sounds about right and normal. Keep reading the forum and learn how to do repair on your own. Most issues aren't worth dragging your trailer back to the dealer. Some may be an issue that do need to be addressed. If this is your first RV you may have a steep learning curve but regular maintenance can prevent a lot of trouble.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
2013 was when quality really started slipping. I think 2006-2012 were the golden years.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You have what you have, and a metal trailer needs additional corrosion protection when exposed to salt in the air (the beach). Stock up on CorrosionX prevention and use it on all exposed steel, shell rivets and edges, hinges and light bezels before heading into these environments. Repaint the affected areas when you can, use acrylic clear coat on any shell nicks or corrosion.

We learned early, used a simple corrosion prevention plan as needed, have never had any corrosion on or under our Airstream anywhere in six years. Spent months right on Calif beaches, but wiped the entire trailer down and sprayed underbody steel with CorrosionX before going there, washed well afterwards and when reasonable during the stays on the beach.

Not unusual for RV's (including $400,000 motorhomes) to come with many assembly defects, you can count on it. Work through them, periodically inspect and maintain your Airstream and you will do well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If new owners accept defects even minor ones and do not report ALL defects Airstream can not be expected to improve their QC. Airstream claims they have hired new QC staff, improving new employee training and more direct supervision. They also are improving dealership tech training and holding the dealerships to a higher standard. Time will tell if this will result in improved QC and greater customer satisfaction.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Cambridge , Massachusetts
I'm treating my 2018 Sport like a custom home, recording all defects and will be bringing my punchlist to AS. Already had to get the door adjusted and the deadbolt assembly replaced.

Table leg is defective and won't lock into place and I'm sure there will be more. AS is hearing about ALL of it, especially while under warranty. Just a pain to have to deal with and very disappointing for the money.
jamesonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

.... I seem to have been hearing "Airstream makes nothing but crap" as long as I've had the ability to listen. That goes back into the 1950's. Anybody who believes there were "good old days" when everything was perfect didn't listen "back in the "good old days".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
Our 2017 FC 26U had a significant amount of production trash behind the cabinets and in the storage areas. The furnace ductwork was poorly routed and pinched closed in several areas. The header above the bathroom door was never attached to the forward side of the door jamb and the bathroom wall began to separate at the door jamb. The entry door leaked like a waterfall when it rained. Also discovered the transfer switch operated intermittently when the front generator plug was used. Also had some pretty big gaps open where the wiring and propane lines penetrated the floor.

I cleaned up the trash and fixed the ductwork myself. I also sealed up the gaps with expanding foam. The header, wall separation, door leak, and transfer switch were corrected at the factory service center in Jackson Center.

We left the unit there for two weeks for the work to be done. They did a remarkable job. They actually replaced the entire wall and bathroom door. The entry door need adjustment and was missing caulk. The door repair was tested by several heavy rain downpours and not a drop of water came in. Have yet to test the transfer switch.

Yes the quality has issues. However, if you can get it back to JC for the repairs, they do an awesome job in correcting the production issues.
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Yes the quality has issues. However, if you can get it back to JC for the repairs, they do an awesome job in correcting the production issues.
Yes, it also speaks to the benefit of a good used model that the problems have been fixed. I say this because just recently I ran into an Airstream snob who talked badly about models older than a few years as being built badly compared to the newer ones and it got worse when I mentioned my 2006 model. I compliment people on their stream as a decision but geez. I CHOSE a Safari and, at the time, could have gone for the 2010-2011 Flying Cloud 25 RB twin but chose to save some money. I have seen vintage trailers that I really liked and also new ones but I don't normally trash other people's choice- may speak my mind on a feature but... (don't like the heated floors thing)

I am not sure that there are bad model years but I do believe there are bad trailers based on peoples' sharing. It seems more a handmade thing. Some better than others with variance in quality.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
AS quality control

Quote:
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
2013 was when quality really started slipping. I think 2006-2012 were the golden years.
We have a 2004 Classic 30 footer, so maybe that was a "silver" year??

We bought it used in 2006 and like many of you, we found a number of quality control issues. I wrote a long letter to Airstream listing all of the issues. I also told and wrote them that we thought that we were buying the "Cadillac" of trailers and that we were surprised to find out that it wasn't.

We took it back to the factory in 2007 and spend 2 or 3 nights at the "circle" camping sites that Airstream provides. They did a good job fixing a number of issues under warranty and non-warranty issues at a reasonable cost. The trailer sat in Florida unused for about a year,giving the mice a chance to set up a household, and doing some damage.

Over the years I still have corrected or modified some 30 different problems myself. If I have to call the factory about an issue they are very good about providing information about how to fix a problem.

One issue at the time was aluminum corrosion known as "filliform" .
I sprayed some WD 40 on a few spots were it started and that pretty much stopped that in its tracks. I haven't seen any posts lately on that topic so maybe that issue has been resolved.

You'll find that with experience and reading tips on this forum that you can repair many issues yourself.

We really like our trailer and have visited all of the states from the Rockies and to the east of them. Our intention is to keep it as long as possible.

Happy travels!!

Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
One issue at the time was aluminum corrosion known as "filliform" .
I sprayed some WD 40 on a few spots were it started and that pretty much stopped that in its tracks. I haven't seen any posts lately on that topic so maybe that issue has been resolved.
Oh boy. That thread is still alive and kicking with hundreds of pages of posts. I do not think that issue would ever be resolved with the use of coated aluminum. Airstream is not unique in that issue either. I have it on my three year old Sendel Wheels and now I see it on my hub covers on my truck.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, for the record I bought a used 2014 with 18 months on the clock. It has been virtually problem free. A couple of little things here and there, nothing major. I am very satisfied with the excellent quality I have observed in my trailer. YMMV.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
It seems a lot of this should be caught in PDI...certainly the HDMI cable issue. No excuse for that on airstream or the dealers part.

The Aframe is steel and regularly gets bumped by chains, etc. I think even the manual tells you that taking a wire brush and rustoleum to the A frame is an annual maintenance item.

Our 2017 FC, which we picked up in April, developed a couple of minor issues. Minor but aggravating at the time. The rear hatch lock failed and had to be drilled out to allow me access so we can leave on a planned trip. The dealer sent me a new latch assy and reimbursed me for the locksmith. The Atwood power jack failed. Atwood sent me a new one under warranty.
These were all working at the time of delivery. No way AS or the dealer could have caught that.

What I DO fault AS for is putting Goodyear Marathons on trailers with 10K lbs GVWR with very little margin between tire load rating and GVWR.

I've had stick built box trailers before. The AS is definitely better built than those. Although I do agree for the money, these things should be bulletproof, so to speak.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
No more bulletproof than the average small aircraft. The systems and construction are similar. That said, our only issues have been self induced. Ramp strike wrinkles are "beauty marks". That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
No more bulletproof than the average small aircraft. The systems and construction are similar. That said, our only issues have been self induced. Ramp strike wrinkles are "beauty marks". That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
Excuse my ignorance but I gotta ask: What's a 'ramp strike wrinkle'?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Likely just above the belt line as a small crease in the outer shell. Caused by pulling in/out of driveways with steep inclines/abrupt angles.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
ABC News did a piece on Airstreams the other day ... reported that Airstream's workforce had 153 people in 2008 ... today, well more than 800.

I'm guessing that most of that employment growth was in recent years.

That's a lot of people to train in complex construction methods, and it might have something to do with quality issues.

WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
learn how to do repair on your own. Most issues aren't worth dragging your trailer back to the dealer.
The suits at Thor are well aware of this. They use it to their advantage. I see where Thor's profit is up 40% while you all say quality is down. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPREECE View Post
... The header, wall separation, door leak, and transfer switch were corrected at the factory service center in Jackson Center.

We left the unit there for two weeks for the work to be done. They did a remarkable job. They actually replaced the entire wall and bathroom door. The entry door need adjustment and was missing caulk. The door repair was tested by several heavy rain downpours and not a drop of water came in. Have yet to test the transfer switch.

Owners should do this more often, to make the higher up's at Thor realize that warranty repairs eat into their bonuses. As long as owners fix everything, they'll be more for you to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
To Airstream's credit, they had left plenty of wire coiled up under the coach so I could take the step out where I could work on it without cutting wires.
That's because it cost Airstream $0.50 to pay a worker to cut the wire to the proper length. Too time consuming. Go, go go.
That's probably the length Quickie sent.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote