Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
It seems a lot of this should be caught in PDI...certainly the HDMI cable issue. No excuse for that on airstream or the dealers part.

The Aframe is steel and regularly gets bumped by chains, etc. I think even the manual tells you that taking a wire brush and rustoleum to the A frame is an annual maintenance item.

Our 2017 FC, which we picked up in April, developed a couple of minor issues. Minor but aggravating at the time. The rear hatch lock failed and had to be drilled out to allow me access so we can leave on a planned trip. The dealer sent me a new latch assy and reimbursed me for the locksmith. The Atwood power jack failed. Atwood sent me a new one under warranty.
These were all working at the time of delivery. No way AS or the dealer could have caught that.

What I DO fault AS for is putting Goodyear Marathons on trailers with 10K lbs GVWR with very little margin between tire load rating and GVWR.

I've had stick built box trailers before. The AS is definitely better built than those. Although I do agree for the money, these things should be bulletproof, so to speak.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
No more bulletproof than the average small aircraft. The systems and construction are similar. That said, our only issues have been self induced. Ramp strike wrinkles are "beauty marks". That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
No more bulletproof than the average small aircraft. The systems and construction are similar. That said, our only issues have been self induced. Ramp strike wrinkles are "beauty marks". That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
Excuse my ignorance but I gotta ask: What's a 'ramp strike wrinkle'?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Likely just above the belt line as a small crease in the outer shell. Caused by pulling in/out of driveways with steep inclines/abrupt angles.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
ABC News did a piece on Airstreams the other day ... reported that Airstream's workforce had 153 people in 2008 ... today, well more than 800.

I'm guessing that most of that employment growth was in recent years.

That's a lot of people to train in complex construction methods, and it might have something to do with quality issues.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
learn how to do repair on your own. Most issues aren't worth dragging your trailer back to the dealer.
The suits at Thor are well aware of this. They use it to their advantage. I see where Thor's profit is up 40% while you all say quality is down. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPREECE View Post
... The header, wall separation, door leak, and transfer switch were corrected at the factory service center in Jackson Center.

We left the unit there for two weeks for the work to be done. They did a remarkable job. They actually replaced the entire wall and bathroom door. The entry door need adjustment and was missing caulk. The door repair was tested by several heavy rain downpours and not a drop of water came in. Have yet to test the transfer switch.

Yes the quality has issues. However, if you can get it back to JC for the repairs, they do an awesome job in correcting the production issues.
Owners should do this more often, to make the higher up's at Thor realize that warranty repairs eat into their bonuses. As long as owners fix everything, they'll be more for you to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
To Airstream's credit, they had left plenty of wire coiled up under the coach so I could take the step out where I could work on it without cutting wires.
That's because it cost Airstream $0.50 to pay a worker to cut the wire to the proper length. Too time consuming. Go, go go.
That's probably the length Quickie sent.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The suits at Thor are well aware of this. They use it to their advantage. I see where Thor's profit is up 40% while you all say quality is down. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Owners should do this more often, to make the higher up's at Thor realize that warranty repairs eat into their bonuses. As long as owners fix everything, they'll be more for you to fix.
Well said!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Start to take apart the interior of a Silver Streak and and in hidden places you find . . . dust.

Airstream was always the bargain-brand aluminum trailer.

Innovation stopped when Wally died, and weight became disproportionate about thirty years ago.

Deep pockets saved AS to use as a prestige brand. So, be glad.

As others have mentioned, a punchlist is the procedure for new purchase. After a year or two of normal use, probably won't still be finding factory mistakes.

About a ten year honeymoon should commence if covered storage is used.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Excuse my ignorance but I gotta ask: What's a 'ramp strike wrinkle'?

A ramp strike, in the airplane business is dragging some part of the airplane on the tarmac during landing or take off. Obviously not a good thing.

I collected a slightly buckled lower rear corner when I dropped a wheel off the edge of a driveway and the skid under the streetside bumper hit the ground.

The only reason I'm not in deep trouble over it is that DW insisted on a hurried departure. (And we all know is in charge from the right hand seat)

Coincidentally, hurried departures are also when airplanes get similar bends....it's fixable, but not leaking, so it's an 'experience mark'
Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
A ramp strike, in the airplane business is dragging some part of the airplane on the tarmac during landing or take off. Obviously not a good thing.

I collected a slightly buckled lower rear corner when I dropped a wheel off the edge of a driveway and the skid under the streetside bumper hit the ground.

The only reason I'm not in deep trouble over it is that DW insisted on a hurried departure. (And we all know is in charge from the right hand seat)

Coincidentally, hurried departures are also when airplanes get similar bends....it's fixable, but not leaking, so it's an 'experience mark'

Got it
Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The weird part is temperature cycling around here seems to be reducing the look of the wrinkle
Old 08-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #26
Tinbox

1964 19' Globetrotter
Panama City , Florida
I have a 2014 International Sterling and noticed the floor was soft in the back near the bed. Upon inspection I found there has been a water leak for long enough to rot the wood floor under the floor covering. I have contacted AS about the issue and am waiting for a resolution. I have only had the AS for a little over a year. I am sure the company will do the right thing and I am still an airstream addict.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Let us know if it turns out that way. Evidence on this Forum indicates that AS treats leaks as wear and tear, your problem, unless the trailer was just delivered. For a 2014?
Larry
Old 08-16-2017, 05:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Tin box, I am hoping for your sake that you took delivery directly from a dealer and purchased your 2014 very late, like sometime in 2015 but still new, no previous owner. I would be concerned about the warranty expiration if it were me. As stated earlier AS may view water leaks normal wear and not design flaw or production issues. I am very interested in what AS has to say about an interior water leak 3 possibly 4 years out. Please post. Truly hoping that you will be very happy with their answers.