Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
My brother has a newer AS classic 31' trailer. Traveling with him is what started my infection of aluminumitus. He has a pro pride hitch that he is still trying to get set up properly. Thus making hooking up a challenge. Tows with a -/+ 8 year old diesel ford 250. Really nice rig well ballanced on the road, nice to drive.
Some how after cruising with him I was attracted to the classic AS motorhomes, and ended up with a 1989 345. The interior is so similar as to be striking.
There are some layout, differences the bed in his trailer is n/ s, mine is e/w.
The couch in his living room is across the front, mine is on the side behind the drivers seat. Other wise the interior is very close. I prefer the layout in my rig
And Enjoy the sense of additional space the cab adds to the living room. Don't really use it much while parked but it is there and adds to the roominess. Would be useful if more people were staying in the coach.
His rig, trailer and trailer cost him around 80K. Mine came for 23K.
He is full timing for over three years. I've been in mine most of the last two years. I've traveled many more miles in my Moho.
I'm sure I've spent more on maintaince and appliance replacement costs. Not a great deal more as he replace an AC. Unit. But keeping up the Ford is not cheap. It's a complicated truck under the hood. And dealers are shameless.

I'm way more hands on with the maintaince then he is, thank goodness.
As the older vehicle requires more effort keeping it going.

As mentioned there is more outside storage in the bottom of the Motorhome than the trailer.
We are both happy with our rigs and like each other's. Too.

So I guess the value is the big separator here. Shoot I can add in my old Porsche SC toad and still come in at less than His trailer co$t.

I think personal preference, buget, and mechanical aptitude / interest are key. Can't wait till we can do a trip together with both rigs, sort of a side by side comparison. Bet we hang more in his trailer, he is a much better cook than I. And has a great movie collection.

Cheers Richard

Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
" You can full-time in anything except a B-van or a tent,..." Actually, we've met a couple who full-time in a Class B, and another couple who full-time in a Casita. There are probably a few who full-time with a motorcycle and tent, too. None of those are for me, though.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
" You can full-time in anything except a B-van or a tent,..." Actually, we've met a couple who full-time in a Class B, and another couple who full-time in a Casita. There are probably a few who full-time with a motorcycle and tent, too. None of those are for me, though.
Then let me rephrase thatů How about "It takes a special kind of stoicism to full-time in a B-van or a tent." You have to be willing to give up a lot of worldly goods to do it. Although if another Hurricane Katrina happens, I could end up full-timing in MY Class B Airstream Interstate for who knows how long, though by necessity, not by choice.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Then let me rephrase thatů How about "It takes a special kind of stoicism to full-time in a B-van or a tent." You have to be willing to give up a lot of worldly goods to do it. Although if another Hurricane Katrina happens, I could end up full-timing in MY Class B Airstream Interstate for who knows how long, though by necessity, not by choice.
Anything is possible: I met a fellow on the road today in southern California (I am a cyclist as is he, and we rode together for as mile or so) who full times only with the stuff he carries on his bike (including a full size guitar!)
Old 12-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
I didn't base my decision on which one was better, but rather what do I want. I don't want an MH or fifth wheel, I wanted an AS trailer. Then just pick the one you one want. Why over think things? Think less - do more.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #34
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Having a MH let's us bring along a boat, car or motorcycle.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #35
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Christmas camping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450978960054.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	254538  
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I always forget to mention something

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We have owned a number of other brands of trailers through our 45 years of RVing and we have had three Airstreams and one MoHo.

We had a great AS, 30' FC but had always dreamed of owning a MoHo so we traded the AS and the F250 for a 37 foot Newmar - GAS. We travel and or stay in the units we own since retirement for about 5-6 months a year total, not in one stretch.

The MoHo was terrific, we towed a Jeep Wrangler, simple hook up and unhook and easy to tow. Once parked the MoHo was a great place to stay - two slides, two 40" TVs - Sat etc. However, after about 1,200 miles we realized (actually I realized) that I hated the ride. Keep in mind this is a top end GAS MoHo. GAS MoHos are relatively light in weight - ours was a gross of 24,000 pounds - 37' long and 12'9" high. It actually was a sail going down the highway especially out west. I have a CDL, I've driven almost every type of vehicle there is available on the road today and this was far and away the worst handling piece of equipment I've driven. I have well in excess of 2 million miles driving plus over 600,000 on motorcycles, just for some background. By the time I'd driven it 7,000 miles we had already worked a deal with the selling dealer to trade it back in, he would buy an AS we ordered from our AS dealer and we would trade the MoHo in on the AS. We also traded the Jeep in on an F350 Diesel. Expensive yes, mistake for us, no. We spent three months in the AS last summer again out west, did 10,000 stress free miles often covering the same area and roads we (I) struggled with driving the MoHo. We love our AS.

Now, a caveat, if you are thinking of full time, like space and have the resources I would go and do a MoHo again, but it would be a Tag Axle Diesel only and probably a 43' Newmar Dutchstar. Otherwise we will stick to the AS, and enjoy it.

One last point, the maintenance on a MoHo is significantly more than on and AS Trailer, there is the diesel engine, there is the diesel generator both of which when in storage it's recommended be started and run at least once a month for an hour of so. Again recommended, I know many who do not and have no issues. Our AS I winterize, do some minor repairs and she is in storage until we head out for FL after Christmas, pretty simple and easy to do.

Good luck in whatever you select and enjoy.

Bud
The caveat...I always leave that out when I'm pushing class A's all gung-ho on AF...with the exception of the AS Classic gassers, I'm ALWAYS referring to diesel pushers...I will NEVER go back to a gasser (even a Classic, rode in one, it was nice, but if the engine isn't in the rear and I'm not using a green pump, I'll pass) ever, ever again. My Bounder was the worst riding class A I'd ever been in...and even the higher end gassers my friends own....well, I pretty much just lie to them when they ask if the ride is comparable to my pusher...no, it's not, never will be. Tag axle...eh, depends on your length...if you're 40+, that's when it comes into play, under 40+, you're fine with a single.

THat's my take, also agree, any RV is better than no RV, so, yah, buy what makes you happy (they're ALL money pits anyways so if you're pinching pennies that much, stay away all together...oh, also, avoid boating even more....(B.O.A.T.=bring out another thousand) anybody got a cute one like that for RVs?)
Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
How about R V = Revenue Vacuum.

Cheers Richard
Old 12-31-2015, 03:37 AM   #38
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Sometimes we bring boats and motorcycle