Old 12-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have to respond to this one. My first experience was a motorhome as a renter then as an initial shopper. Later AFTER I ended up buying an Airstream "trailer" my father and I bantered about for now nearly three years over his thoughts about trailer vs. motorhome. Here is what I/we have found:

The obvious is that both have advantages and disadvantages. What is less obvious is that comparison of class C and class A to trailer UNDER 30' the trailer has the advantage of more storage space inside and in most cases outside too- especially if the truck bed is considered. Let me explain.

For the longest time we bantered back and forth over comparing class A to trailer. What we finally realized we were doing was making unfair comparisons like Winnebago Journey to Airstream 25'- no contest, the class A was a rolling condo to a "camper" per se.
When we started applying similar size to the comparison we came up with a few vehicles like the View, Via and various other C-class variants- few Class A - Flair, Vista 26E, etc. In each case to me, it became obvious that the trailer had advantages that were important to me- more storage, more inside floor area, lower cost, easier maintenance. Naturally you have to allow for preferences so consider points. Things like where you want to camp. Length is a limiting factor but so can height impact where you can go or even gas up. Stay under 30' for maximum choice in National and State Parks. There may be some larger spots but they are in the minority and reserving is more difficult. The truck cab is a large chunk of the considered living area of a Class A/C motorhome so what is inclusive to that area is important. It varies. Storage, bunk entertainment center. My measure of living area minus truck cab is about 16'-17' of living area on a 26' or so motorhome. A 25' AS is about 22' 6" interior length. Width is another story. The View and Via, for example are 1' narrower than the AS 25. Their slides open 1.5' so you gain only 6" in slide out areas which are mostly limited to dinette and sofa or bed space. The Vista class A? has around 117 cu ft of exterior stowage; however, interior cabinetry is quite limited.IT does have size potential but would need additions. My AS, for example has 41 cu ft of trunk space (twin w/3 trunks) plus my truck bed offers a total of 94 cu ft. I could go on, and on, but after doing this you have to consider your needs/preferences to make your selection. Towing, backing etc are pretty much a wash as most motorhome peeps have a toad! I went with a trailer primarily for initial cost and ongoing cost factors followed by preference pros/cons. My RV show investigations are not exhaustive but, there ya go. Everything seems to change though above 30'.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Excuse my posting again but after re-reading your post and the responses I missed an important piece- major full-timing. This factor alone asks for an answer to an important question- how much time will you spend per day in inside? Livability is important. People vary on comfort level- some live full-time in a van and others need an opposing slides behemoth. If I were going to live in my RV I would be MOST comfortable in around a 33-35' motorhome. They now include W/D and other features that make them like a home. I would sacrifice some wild camping for my home's size. I could also live in an AS but I would want a bigger one. That's just me.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You can have your cake and eat it too......

I own a 1983 Airstream Classic 310 turbo diesel motorhome, an Airstream and a motorhome.

Pro's

Wife can go to the bathroom without having to find a place to pull over and stop.
Can make a coffee on the go.
Pull into a campground in the pouring rain, start the generator, make supper, watch TV and go to bed WITHOUT stepping foot outside and getting soaked.
Overall length of unit is quite compact for the living space if not towing a car.
Don't have to worry about trailer sway or trailer passing you on a downhill stretch.
My coach's value is allways increasing not decreasing.
Can't steal it as it stands out like a sore thumb.
20 mpg on the flats with no wind.
Can drive a smaller car for the rest of the year as opposed to having to drive my TV.
Meeting great people that are interested in a Classic motorhome.
Built stronger and better than trailers.

Con's

Unless you tow a car, have motorcycle on a trailer, or bikes on a rack, it takes some forethought on getting around once at the campground. Do we walk or pack up and drive?
Maintanance on another engine that sits for most of the year; however diesel is the way to go over gas, if it's sitting for a while.
Can be expensive to purchase and initially restore.

Trailer

Pro's
No pro's

Con's
See the opposite of the pro's for motorhome.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
I also debated this question and ended up with a 345 MH. I think most of the pros/cons have been covered, but one I'll add is this: We plan to hire a driver from time to time and invite two additional couples for various side trips/events/etc. We'll be able to relax in the MH on the road, have our favorite beverages, and enjoy the day trip. Not possible in a TT.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
[QUOTE=Isuzusweet;1724282]You can have your cake and eat it too......

I own a 1983 Airstream Classic 310 turbo diesel motorhome, an Airstream and a motorhome.

Pro's

Wife can go to the bathroom without having to find a place to pull over and stop.
Can make a coffee on the go.
Pull into a campground in the pouring rain, start the generator, make supper, watch TV and go to bed WITHOUT stepping foot outside and getting soaked.
Overall length of unit is quite compact for the living space if not towing a car.
Don't have to worry about trailer sway or trailer passing you on a downhill stretch.
My coach's value is allways increasing not decreasing.
Can't steal it as it stands out like a sore thumb.
20 mpg on the flats with no wind.
Can drive a smaller car for the rest of the year as opposed to having to drive my TV.
Meeting great people that are interested in a Classic motorhome.
Built stronger and better than trailers.

Con's

Unless you tow a car, have motorcycle on a trailer, or bikes on a rack, it takes some forethought on getting around once at the campground. Do we walk or pack up and drive?
Maintanance on another engine that sits for most of the year; however diesel is the way to go over gas, if it's sitting for a while.
Can be expensive to purchase and initially restore.

Trailer

Pro's
No pro's

Con's
See the opposite of the pro's for motorhome.

Cheers
Excellent comments, right on target! If I had to do it over again I would go with an AS Classic mh.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have owned a number of other brands of trailers through our 45 years of RVing and we have had three Airstreams and one MoHo.

We had a great AS, 30' FC but had always dreamed of owning a MoHo so we traded the AS and the F250 for a 37 foot Newmar - GAS. We travel and or stay in the units we own since retirement for about 5-6 months a year total, not in one stretch.

The MoHo was terrific, we towed a Jeep Wrangler, simple hook up and unhook and easy to tow. Once parked the MoHo was a great place to stay - two slides, two 40" TVs - Sat etc. However, after about 1,200 miles we realized (actually I realized) that I hated the ride. Keep in mind this is a top end GAS MoHo. GAS MoHos are relatively light in weight - ours was a gross of 24,000 pounds - 37' long and 12'9" high. It actually was a sail going down the highway especially out west. I have a CDL, I've driven almost every type of vehicle there is available on the road today and this was far and away the worst handling piece of equipment I've driven. I have well in excess of 2 million miles driving plus over 600,000 on motorcycles, just for some background. By the time I'd driven it 7,000 miles we had already worked a deal with the selling dealer to trade it back in, he would buy an AS we ordered from our AS dealer and we would trade the MoHo in on the AS. We also traded the Jeep in on an F350 Diesel. Expensive yes, mistake for us, no. We spent three months in the AS last summer again out west, did 10,000 stress free miles often covering the same area and roads we (I) struggled with driving the MoHo. We love our AS.

Now, a caveat, if you are thinking of full time, like space and have the resources I would go and do a MoHo again, but it would be a Tag Axle Diesel only and probably a 43' Newmar Dutchstar. Otherwise we will stick to the AS, and enjoy it.

One last point, the maintenance on a MoHo is significantly more than on and AS Trailer, there is the diesel engine, there is the diesel generator both of which when in storage it's recommended be started and run at least once a month for an hour of so. Again recommended, I know many who do not and have no issues. Our AS I winterize, do some minor repairs and she is in storage until we head out for FL after Christmas, pretty simple and easy to do.

Good luck in whatever you select and enjoy.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #21
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
its a tough choice, every day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83-93.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	828.2 KB
ID:	254042  
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
One last point, the maintenance on a MoHo is significantly more than on and AS Trailer, there is the diesel engine
If you have a trailer and tow vehicle, maintenance on the tow vehicle also has to be included in the equation. But being a regular pickup or SUV, your maintenance on the TV is easier and less expensive, even if it has the same engine as the MoHo.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Whenever I read one of these threads I come to the same conclusion:

1. Moho owners drink a lot of coffee on the road

2. As a result of #1, Moho owners need to pee a lot on the road.

As a TT owner, we don't do #1 above and thus don't need to do #2 above all that often.

Cheers!
Old 12-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Whenever I read one of these threads I come to the same conclusion
Whenever I read one of these threads, the inevitable conclusion I draw is:
People who want a MoHo will find reasons to justify having a MoHo; and
People who don't want a MoHo will find all kinds of reasons to justify not having a MoHo;
Leaving people who are undecided no better off than they were before.

Leading me to the further conclusion that ultimately it's better to have any RV than to have no RV. You can full-time in anything except a B-van or a tent, and you can part-time in anything including a B-van or a tent. So regardless of whether you choose a travel trailer, a Class A, a Class C, or a 5th wheel, you can make it work for the kind of camping you want to do. Just pick one you like and can afford, and go RVing!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That is actually a fallacy. Slides only give you more floor space, not more storage space.
I agree but motorhomes usually have basement storage that trailers don't have. But with a trailer you can use the tow vehicle to store odds and ends.

Kelvin
Old 12-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
tow vehicle to store odds and ends.
Right. I really is a decision rife with preference and it depends on what a person can do. Recently I went camping and was setting up about the time a motorhome was doing the same. I had to unhitch they unhitched their smart car in the street. I used a drill to lower my stabilizers, they had auto/power stabilizing, I rolled out my awning, they powered their awning out- same stuff just a difference in process.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Whenever I read one of these threads, the inevitable conclusion I draw is:
People who want a MoHo will find reasons to justify having a MoHo; and
People who don't want a MoHo will find all kinds of reasons to justify not having a MoHo;
Leaving people who are undecided no better off than they were before.

Leading me to the further conclusion that ultimately it's better to have any RV than to have no RV. You can full-time in anything except a B-van or a tent, and you can part-time in anything including a B-van or a tent. So regardless of whether you choose a travel trailer, a Class A, a Class C, or a 5th wheel, you can make it work for the kind of camping you want to do. Just pick one you like and can afford, and go RVing!
Amen to that!
Old 12-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If full-timing and needed a heavy duty diesel pickup to tow our Airstream, we wouldn't tow an Airstream. We would tow a fifth wheel that has the advantages of a motorhome and a travel trailer, another consideration.

As it is we are comfortable six months a year traveling with our medium-sized combo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream:Nebraska.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	499.6 KB
ID:	254090  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote