Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Bears are all over the northern half of the country too (lower 48). Not sure about the south, but I know many sections of the north do.
Yes, we have them in Georgia...Black Bears that is. They are all along the Appalachian Mountains and as far south as Atlanta that I know of. There are also black bears in the Okefenokee Swamp in south Georgia/north Florida and in the Everglades. I'm sure there are other places where they live in the south as well.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Yea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The best protection for a group is a 22 Cal handgun. If the bear starts to chase you, shoot the person next to you in the leg and run! Works everytime.....
LMAO...

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The best protection for a group is a 22 Cal handgun. If the bear starts to chase you, shoot the person next to you in the leg and run! Works everytime.....
Even if you don't have a gun, if you're in a group, RUN! You don't have to outrun the bear - just outrun the guy you're with.
Dave
Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Thnx for all the great warnings and solutions!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Running is usually not the right answer unless you know what the bear is after and it isn't you.

How to Survive an Encounter With a Bear - eHow.com

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Running is usually not the right answer unless you know what the bear is after and it isn't you.

How to Survive an Encounter With a Bear - eHow.com
You are absolutely right - you shouldn't run from a bear in most cases. The thread took kind of a lighthearted turn there, and that was a humorous reply that I posted. (I think)

Remember, NEVER run from a bear.
(Unless you can outrun at least one person in your group)
Dave
Old 03-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #35
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Remember, NEVER run from a bear.
(Unless you can outrun at least one person in your group)
Dave
You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than at least one other member of your group.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'd love to get up there. Only thing is I've heard that highway going up there is pretty bad. My dad's friend drove up there with his new pickup and slide in camper. He got back and it looked like sombody had sandblasted the entire vehicle.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
There was a black bear in our campground on the Yellowstone River last year, and the owner's wife tried to keep it treed near the park office until the game warden arrived with his trap.

The warden baited the trap with a big hunk of salmon carefully rolled up in a piece of carpet, hoping that when the bear attempted to remove the salmon from the carpet, the trap door would close behind the bear, and then he could be safely transported away to the mountains, or whereever.

Anyway, the bear came down from the tree sometime during the night, carefully unrolled the salmon from the carpet, and made off without tripping the trap door. Must have been a smart bear!

One other night last fall we had a group of elk go through the campground that ate quite a few of the flowers that were growing around the campground office, and some of the RV sites. It seemed they preferred certain species of flowers, and didn't eat the stems, just the flowers and the buds. Just goes to show that beggars can be choosers!

John
Old 03-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The bear there would be a little unnerving to me. We carried bear bells and we would talk aloud on the trails, even sing. Spotted some and had a mother and two cubs dining on berries right there in the trees in front of us.

We had buffalo and elk right to the trailers and the buffalo herd had to be run off by the by a worker in a golf cart, looked a bit like an eposode of "Rawhide" or "City Slickers." An elk walked up to the dog and then the dog ran towards the elk at the trailer and it reared up, luckily Brad was letting down the stabilizers and had the tool in his hand so stood up and yelled. That was too close. Got to really watch your dogs there.

We were in Mammoth in town where the elk walk all around in herds too. Someone in a pickup had a dog in the open bed, the dog barked at the large bull elk with the gigantic rack and the elk charged the truck, the truck moved just in time.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
How do you tell Grizzly scat from Black Bear scat? The Grizzly scat has little bells in it...........
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
***update***

Spoke to my neighbor last night as I gave back his photo that I scanned for all of us and I was initially incorrect, this was NOT a black bear that did this....

This was in fact a Grizzly!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17
How do you tell Grizzly scat from Black Bear scat? The Grizzly scat has little bells in it...........
ROFL!!!

Eric I wondered how you got the picture and knew about this. Very good to know we are not totally encapsilized from harm's way and be aware and prepared. Glad your neighbor and dog were not molested. That's a lucky dog. Where did the neighbor retrieve him? I am afraid a larger aggressive dog would have not fared as well. I have heard not to leave dogs in the trucks or cars unattended too.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #42
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My neighbor saw my Airstream and said, do I have a picture and a story for you....so he told me the story and showed me the picture a bit ago and I recalled it and thought it might be something folks would like to see/know about. So I asked him if he would mind if I scanned the pic, posted it and told the story and he said, go for it.

The dog was hanging around the campsite when the returned and ran up to them. What you see in the picture is the hole somewhat blocked off with stuff they had laying around.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote