Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2007, 05:37 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Yay Carol,,, wishing you guys the happiest of trails,,, let me know your agenda for New Mexico and Texas,, deciding whether or not to go myself this year,,, hope to see you,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
LOTSA LUCK, to YA....

I don't know why I retired because I made hundreds of dollars every week for doing absolutely nothing! Only thing that changed is that now I do absolutely nothing and don't get paid for it!

After being retired for 6 years, I'll be making my biggest trip next year when I go to my local Social Security office.

Okay, so now we get to spend our summers and fall in MT, living on the banks of the Yellowstone River, and we're in Paradise (Paradise Valley, that is).

And fishing, did anyone say fishing? Here's a couple pictures of trout 2 friends of mine caught when we were on the Yellowstone a couple days ago.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Nice ones Flyfisher. They say work is for people who don't know how to fish. Well like Carol's husband Brad, I won't be working after Friday either, but I don't know how to fish. I'll add that to my to do list.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Carol, a great thread! It's fun to see what everyone retired or nearly so is doing. This shows what a diverse forum we are, from threads about families with little children to retirees with grandkids and everything good inbetween. Glad we'll see you at Top Sail in January ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Glad that you and Brad are going to be able to make it to Topsail in January. You are one of the people I was looking forward to seeing again! Enjoy your journeys this fall and stay in touch with the forum and post lots of pictures of your inaugural retirement journey.

See you at Topsail!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Being a relative youngster here at 40, retirement for me is way out there on the horizion yet, but you can have confidence that I am training heavily for the event

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Being a relative youngster here at 40, retirement for me is way out there on the horizion yet, but you can have confidence that I am training heavily for the event
I'm six years ahead of you and in training, too! I keep trying to figure out how to speed time up without giving up the 20 years in between now and then. Unfortunately, early retirement (at least at this age) is not in the future. Not unless I win the lottery...first I have to figure out how to play Mega-millions!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congrats Carol and Brad!

I retired in early 2006 after 30 years in high tech/high stress, and tired of laying people off. Took a month to de-compress, and get used to not needing to get up for 6AM conference calls and 9 AM Saturday flights to Hong Kong... Didn't do big Airstream trip, as Dianne continued to work part-time. After 2 months, I found part-time gigs that paid well and were interesting, so we were semi-retired.. After a few slow and quiet months this spring, an offfer came along to join staff of local employee credit union and do good deeds for a couple years, so that is end of retirement round 1...

Best advice is that each situation is different.. Be realistic about money, health and shared interests, and don't put off things until later unless there is good reason.. We are continuing to work down our lifetime "To Do List" and fortunately new employer happy letting me take 6 weeks off each year. plus or minus...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
Retirement is great. I retired April 2006 and relocated closer to two daughters and five grandchildren. We live in a 100 year old house that came with plenty of projects. I'm working on silver beast repairs, replacement, etc. We were snowbirds last winter, during January, and attended the Can Opener. I've worn a coat and tie twice since retirement, one wedding and one funeral. It's great to awaken unsure of the day of the week. I recently returned to work for six weeks to help out my previous employer. What a drag, back to long pants, tie shoes, setting an alarm and structure. Fortunately it was a short term assignment. I couldn't wait for it to end. After the Airstream projects are complete we will hit the road again, destination unknown.
AIR#809
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #30
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper48
Retirement is great. I retired April 2006 and relocated closer to two daughters and five grandchildren. We live in a 100 year old house that came with plenty of projects. I'm working on silver beast repairs, replacement, etc. We were snowbirds last winter, during January, and attended the Can Opener. I've worn a coat and tie twice since retirement, one wedding and one funeral. It's great to awaken unsure of the day of the week. I recently returned to work for six weeks to help out my previous employer. What a drag, back to long pants, tie shoes, setting an alarm and structure. Fortunately it was a short term assignment. I couldn't wait for it to end. After the Airstream projects are complete we will hit the road again, destination unknown.
You know there's another Can Opener coming up in January. Airstreams make good tents if they aren't ready for prime time. We had one last year that was under renovation...while at the Can Opener!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Carol and Brad, congratulations on your "newly retired" status. I'm sure you'll never be bored.

Y'all are making me envious with your carefree lifestyles and all. Retirement is a long way away, but I'm planning for a time when I can take to the road, contract to work where I want, and work as much or as little as I want. Then I'll ease my way into retirement one of these days.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Those ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Brad will love it. I retired at the end of June. It came almost on the spur of the moment on the first day we headed out in May for a B camper van trip. The first thing that sprung in my mind on the road was that I really didn't have to work anymore if I didn't want to. So my decision came about 1-1/2 years earlier than I was thinking just before I got behind the wheel. 10,000 miles later on the road I am enjoying it.

There is one thing I haven't cured yet - the anxiety at the end of the trip and thinking I will have to go to work the next day. I am still not used to the open ended schedule. So, I quit wearing my watch. I'm also finding a lot of the work routine habits are disappearing. I'm less acutely aware of the news. The weather is more important now. I fill the gas tank of the car less frequently. My clothing wardrobe has been pared down and the AmVets are getting a bonanza donation. Where I worked, Target Stores HQ in downtown Minneapolis as an architect, we had to adhere to a dress code of suit, sportcoat and or tie, or wear the store uniform of red shirt and khaki trou if you wanted to dress casual. So on our first camping trip after retirement we had this little ceremony at Temperance River State Park on the Minnesota North Shore - the retirement burn.

ps. I am not getting all those things I thought I would get around to once I retired. There just isn't enough time.
those ties are so ugly that i'm surprised they didn't burst into flames by themselves.....

just kidding...I envy you folks who can trravel as much as you want...say hi to America for all us working stiffs...
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Contgratulations.

Retired in 2001. Airstream in 2003. Lansing first intl rally. Discovered WBCCI caravans.

My advice, Join WBCCI, Look thru Blue Beret for caravans. Start signing up now for the lead time is two years on the major ones.

We just returned from the Viking to Newfoundland and the wife is planning rest of 2009 and 2010. Next year is Alaska, Last year was Maple leaf to BC & Alberta. So many caravans and so little time.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Congratulations Carol and Brad. In five more years, I'll be joining you. I still have a little plan for work that involves retirement and Airstreams that should be fun at the same time.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Ok, I've read y'alls' comments about retirement, and now I'm trying real hard not to get excited. I turn the office lights off in 112 days!!! This is the first time I've allowed myself to count days. But getting to see what's just around the corner got the best of me.

I've noticed some patterns in this thread. The retired like to post in the wee hours of the morning, maybe y'all should put those watches back on. Most take some initial time to catch their breath before looking for "stuff" to do. No schedules or agendas to adhere to, no dress shoes or clothes, and travel travel travel.

Me, I plan to put my DW on the plane to China and go home and learn to watch Oprah - or some other form of educational endeavor. Then, I'll refine my plans for my trip to California to fetch the DW when she returns from China and work our way north on the PCH/101 into Oregon. I plan to audit a photography class at the DW's university so I kow what all those buttons are for on her camera. That should help me pass the time while I catch my breath.

Congratulations to everyone who are abe to start enjoying the fruits of many years of labor.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #36

Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
Retired from the Air Force after 20 years in February 1991 and it was the 2nd most happiest day of my life to that point. I retire again in Oct 2011, this time from the FAA, with another 20 years Gov. service. Air Force retirement moves to 3rd happiest day, FAA retirement from the FAA moves into the 2nd happiest day of my life. 1st of course is marrying DW in 1972.

Happy camping!!! See ya'll down the road!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Could be just about anywhere , Missouri
Yes I'm retired- Well hopefully I am

I Left the office in May of 06. I am not really of retirement
age, just of retirement mind. Let's see how long I can make it.

What did I do?

1. Visited friends and relatives (1 month)
2. Gave away everything that would not fit in my 30' AS
or 10x10 Storage (2 month)
3. Lost the watch
4. Moved into the AS, Sold the house
5. Religated the cell phone to be checked couple of times
a day
6. Did some volunteer work and campground hosting
7. Hit the road and traveled the US on a budget
8. Went to Medjugorge (Bosnia) fro religious pilgrimage (??!)
9. Went to 1st AS Rally in Perry GA (posted the red #'s)
10. Made a 9000 mile loop of US

Where am I now?

Top of Georgia, Airstream only park. Since I haven't been any one
place for more than a few nights, I'm looking forward to stopping
for 10 or more.

Thinking about looking at the Pensicola AS park as a stop over
to Covington, LA. Wish I could remember all the places I wanted
to stop at when I was at the International Rally.

Oh and being retired, one of my favorite things is to stay up
late or play too hard cause I don't have to be ready to do anything
tomorrow at 8am or on Monday, Yeah-. Retired people posting
in the wee hours of the morning makes perfect sense to me.

Chrispy
chrispy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Carol,
Congratulations on retirement! Isn't this really why we worked? We retired August 03 this year and, yes, we counted down the days from February onward. Concurrent with retirement we sold our house but don't vacate for a few more months. Five days after retirement we left for a 7,000 mile vacation trip to Vancouver BC then through some National Parks then to Swiss National Festival Rally then we return home. More like a vacation than retirement because we are filling our truck's empty gas tank daily and won't plan to afford same in full-time mode later.

When we return to NC we will install solar a la Motoman's excellent plan shared on these forums, empty the house of everything for the closing, and reset our truck and trailer stuff based upon the learnings from the 7,000 mile shakedown trip we just completed.

We are, at five weeks, adjusting now to the almost no external schedule. We eat when we want, arise when we want, and drive where we want. I like your statement about having an open timeframe for trips -- We allowed ourselves to commit to some WBCCI Unit duties after which we will be on only our time schedule.

We're retired! HOORAY!

http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Congratulations Carol and Brad

Great... You will love it.. See you are signed up for Topsails.... We are thinking about going also.. We heas south the first week of November... When you are south... drop in for a visit..Arcadia... Best Wishes..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Uh, if you're a man and you're watching Oprah and the View on TV then you haven't quite adjusted yet to retirement.

But I must admit I get hooked on the Food Network Channel. I try to default to CNBC and watch my investments dwindle.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote