Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Are you ever "tempted"? Class-A tries to take me away sometimes...

The devil never sends and ugly woman or an ugly A-class to tempt us.

We have two young boys 7/4 who LOVE to camp and we go heavy, usually at least three weekends a month and several 10 day trips per year. We have a 27FB right now, which works well, though I know the time will come where they may want to bring a friend. Or, even now, when the boys stay at the grandparents it would be fun to have another couple go with us, but even with close friends it may seem a bit awkward with the small bathroom, etc.

Two things deter me from a spacious A-class...or, well, several things:

Cost- just so much more expensive naturally. We've been spoiled by AS quality that an "affordable" one just seems so darn cheap inside. To get what we'd feel is similar would probably run 200...and maybe used even at that. Plus I'm very intimidated by the unknown maint cost on those and even the cost of tires, regular maint.

Brand loyalty- Right now, we feel so invested and known for our Airstream. All our friends love it and ask about it and everything else is, well, just another SOB. Not in a vain way, but I just love having something so unique and recognizable.

Vehicle- I do love, with the AS, being able to take our big, comfy 2500 Suburban to have and enjoy once we've dropped our Airstream at the location and are exploring the city we're visiting. I do hate the idea of having to buy some dinky car we wouldn't have bought anyway just to pull and exploring the whole trip in a little CRV or Scion. (I know you can pull larger, but still)

Hanging out area- I just wish the AS could configure where there was a more casual spot to hang out. The A's do have nice conversation areas that are there and ready without pulling all the cushions off each time,dropping the table, etc.

Please know that I realize all these are relatively minor, but I'm just talking though whether to make a move while my 2009 Ocean Breeze is still pretty high resale or use it until we outgrown or even consider the 30 bunk.

Thoughts? Sorry for the ramble. Was good to confess.

Thanks!
Justin
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Look into the real costs of a Class A, and you might change your mind. I'm going the other way. I loved my 40' DP but at this stage of my life it's too big. I travel alone. It was great for friends to join me. But on a limited income now, the $600 oil changes, $500 tires, and $260 daily fill ups have taken the fun out. (A new air filter was $275) OBTW, today I'm installing the new pair of $150 batteries to start it up in it's expensive storage yard. Yes, it was a love affair, but now we've grown apart.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:32 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Your last comment referred to resale value. If you get an "affordable" class A motor home you can pretty much forget about retaining resale value. I just traded a 30' class A for a 27FB Flying Cloud. Just two years old, the motor home was worth about half it's original list price.
You will also have to maintain that motor home. It has an engine, transmission, cooling system, steering, exhaust, all the fun stuff that breaks down and leaves you stranded. I couldn't find replacement wiper blades at the local parts stores or at Camping World. They told me to try the tour bus dealership in the next town.
A typical class A is 12 feet tall, vs 9 ft for an Airstream. You can expect to get 6-7 mpg with the Ford V-10. And don't get me started on slide outs or automatic steps that don't want to operate.
Whose idea was it to put the noisy vibrating generator directly under the bed, anyway?
Been there, done that. Not going back.
We walked through a FC 30 bunkhouse out of curiosity. Very nice. And the bathroom, though a similar layout, is roomier than the one in the 23D.
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Look into the real costs of a Class A, and you might change your mind. I'm going the other way. I loved my 40' DP but at this stage of my life it's too big. I travel alone. It was great for friends to join me. But on a limited income now, the $600 oil changes, $500 tires, and $260 daily fill ups have taken the fun out. (A new air filter was $275) OBTW, today I'm installing the new pair of $150 batteries to start it up in it's expensive storage yard. Yes, it was a love affair, but now we've grown apart.

Thanks for the experience review. Exactly-- I've had some surprises on this one, but thankfully all small in comparison.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Your last comment referred to resale value. If you get an "affordable" class A motor home you can pretty much forget about retaining resale value. I just traded a 30' class A for a 27FB Flying Cloud. Just two years old, the motor home was worth about half it's original list price.

You will also have to maintain that motor home. It has an engine, transmission, cooling system, steering, exhaust, all the fun stuff that breaks down and leaves you stranded. I couldn't find replacement wiper blades at the local parts stores or at Camping World. They told me to try the tour bus dealership in the next town.

A typical class A is 12 feet tall, vs 9 ft for an Airstream. You can expect to get 6-7 mpg with the Ford V-10. And don't get me started on slide outs or automatic steps that don't want to operate.

Whose idea was it to put the noisy vibrating generator directly under the bed, anyway?

Been there, done that. Not going back.

We walked through a FC 30 bunkhouse out of curiosity. Very nice. And the bathroom, though a similar layout, is roomier than the one in the 23D.

You shared and validated my exact concerns. I've always joked that it's nice to know that if anything happens problem wise, I can always drop the airstream on the side of the road and still get my family home, etc. we aren't stranded.

Every time we go to an RV show instead of feeling jealous, I come home to ours, which is paid for and in perfect condition, and love it even more despite some small changes we'd make in a perfect world.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
As it pertains to the Class A diesel pusher, I can truly say that I have "been there, done that".

Yes, it's nice to have everything at your fingertips, but consider just a few things;

-Your current tow vehicle has NTSA crash ratings, airbags and restraints for all passengers. With the exception of Bluebird and Prevost, no other Class A offers this level of safety. Roll the typical Class A and you'll end up with a pile of balsa and plastic.

-Cost. I got very weary of $300 oil changes and being at the mercy of the heavy truck shops every time something broke. I'm pretty handy, but when you're trying to maintain the engine, air compressors, air bags, leveling system, air operated dump valves, etc. it just gets overwhelming.

-Cost, pt 2. We put a set of new tires on our Bluebird and it was just over $5000. For a set of tires!!

-Fuel efficiency-We were lucky to get 6 mpg with the Class A versus 13 with the pickup towing.

Overall, I'll never go back. But, to each their own. There's a reason they make so many different kinds of RV's. You have to figure out what works best for YOU.
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMEDIC View Post
As it pertains to the Class A diesel pusher, I can truly say that I have "been there, done that".

Yes, it's nice to have everything at your fingertips, but consider just a few things;

-Your current tow vehicle has NTSA crash ratings, airbags and restraints for all passengers. With the exception of Bluebird and Prevost, no other Class A offers this level of safety. Roll the typical Class A and you'll end up with a pile of balsa and plastic.

-Cost. I got very weary of $300 oil changes and being at the mercy of the heavy truck shops every time something broke. I'm pretty handy, but when you're trying to maintain the engine, air compressors, air bags, leveling system, air operated dump valves, etc. it just gets overwhelming.

-Cost, pt 2. We put a set of new tires on our Bluebird and it was just over $5000. For a set of tires!!

-Fuel efficiency-We were lucky to get 6 mpg with the Class A versus 13 with the pickup towing.

Overall, I'll never go back. But, to each their own. There's a reason they make so many different kinds of RV's. You have to figure out what works best for YOU.

Holy cow. 😳. See....that's what I want to avoid. I had mercedes for years and I spent a ton to maintain them, yet was scared to take them out of town worrying that something would break and I'd be at someone's mercy. You gave me that flashback. Ha!
Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
We seem to have talked you off the ledge. My work here is done.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
We seem to have talked you off the ledge. My work here is done.

Back to deciding what to have for lunch.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Theres always a larger Airstream for extra space..30, 23 34ft.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Just to round out my Class A "horror story", I need to tell you about the transmission.

We were coming back home from Georgia and went to get off at the SC welcome center. The bus wouldn't shift down into anything lower than 4th gear so we couldn't climb the hill into the welcome center. Called a tow truck.

After waiting 3 hours, the tow truck driver was able to get us up into the parking area and had to REMOVE THE AXLES before he could tow us any further. Then, we found out that the transmission on this bus was a rare transmission made in Germany (the ZF) and the only service center was in Pennsylvania. We either had to move the bus to PA at $1.75 a mile, or remove the transmission and ship it there for a $20k overhaul.

"Nightmare" doesn't begin to describe it. LOL
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Once our kids reached 8 - 10 yrs old, they didn't want to stay in the trailer with us anymore. They wanted their own space, ie: tent. If it was soaking rain or we were actively traveling day by day, they stayed in the trailer. If we were sitting for a couple days, they slept in a tent. Upgrading for more sleeping space might backfire on you in a few years. Just a thought...

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
We have the best of both. We were fortunate three years ago to find a 1994 360 Classic AS diesel pusher. This machine is the classic silver body of the AS. Yes, there are expenses in maintaining and storing her. Our first 'tune up' was a financial shock. Same with tire replacements. We don't have any slide outs, washer, dryer, dishwasher, house size refrigerator, etc. What we do have is a classic machine, with that big diesel push. It's in excellent condition, and we love traveling in her. We have our queen in the back, and can sleep two more adults, or four children, forward. I had a GMC Class A prior to this one, and believe me, it was a cheap machine that felt like a marshmallow going down the road. This AS beast is solid! We tow a Ford Fusion Hybrid behind, and are very satisfied with it. No, it isn't an SUV, but it's a pretty comfy car for four. I imagine a time will come when we no longer want the burden of a motor home, but until that time, I am so satisfied with what we have, and proud to have the AS quality and looks. We hope to be able to tour the entire country in it before we 'retire' from the camping life.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
I would enjoy adding my comments but I stopped after the woman bashing analogy. Enough already
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Cegardner,

Woman bashing???

I thought I missed a post and went back and reread them all.

What are you seeing that I'm missing.

PS many, but not all, Airstreams​ are referred to as she. That's from the correlation of many boats also being referred to as she. Was that it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
looks like for the price of upgrading to a classA that you like , you could just buy a whole ' nother trailer .... for the friends to use!
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
Don't let size matter!

I would not let yourself be swayed by the big size and space of the class A's. Here's why I bought an AS:
If your engine and drive train are a part of your RV your trapped when it comes to maintenance. Anything , even little thing, that needs to be repaired or maintained on that engine and drive train will cost you 2-3 times more than on say a Chevy pickup that can be serviced anywhere. I learned this lesson the hard way, I owned an 80 Ft houseboat, and it was very expensive to maintain. Had a lot of room but not worth it! I was very restricted on who would come work on it. You can't take your class A to the local auto repair for an oil change or water pump repair.

The AS is so well made in comparison to most other brands of RV's. The class A's under $400K are usually built pretty cheap on the interior. And you have to like rattles because you hear a lot of rattles as your driving down the road.

I can't tell you how many people have told me they sold their big class A for an AS , they always say, been there, done that.
Too many things always broke too costly to repair and too few places to have repairs made.

I bought a new AS 30' and a new GMC 2500 HD Denali Diesel crew can pickup for $150,000. You can't get that kind of quality and flexibility in a class A.

This is just how I view the decision, and it's not right for everyone. I can tell you I am the minority with AS when I pull into the RV Parks. Big with slides are what sells the most, but I'm into less size and MUCH more Quality.

I'm an engineer, so you can imagine how I'm wired. I like things to be well engineered, well thought out and built to last a lifetime.
The AS captured my attention as a kid. As an adult who loves cars I view the AS as an awesome designed and built vehicle. Almost like an airplane without wings.

I also love the fact that they catch the attention of so many people. With an AS you have a true American icon. It's reputation precedes it, it will always be a topic of conversation when you pull up with one on your bumper.

I bought mine first for all the above reasons and secondarily for all you can do with an RV.

When people ask me "why did you buy an Airstream", I never say because I wanted to go camping. I bought the Airstream because.......it's an Airstream.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Cegardner,

Woman bashing???

I thought I missed a post and went back and reread them all.

What are you seeing that I'm missing.

PS many, but not all, Airstreams​ are referred to as she. That's from the correlation of many boats also being referred to as she. Was that it.
If indeed that was the offensive reference, I am also guilty. I refer to my Airstream, F350, BMW and boat as "she". It would be disrespectful to those fine machines to refer to them as "he"!
Old 03-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #19
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
We had a 2005 Classic 30 for over a year, did the SW caravan and last years International in it. Very happy with it.
We bought a 2003 AS Land Yacht 396 for the mid $60's and did a month in Main and just came back from 3 months in Florida.
Pluses: It's an Airstream and once you're inside it feels like one. It has tons of room both inside and basement storage. It has huge tanks, water, grey, black and a 150 gallon fuel tank. It has a 8KW quiet diesel generator in the front (It's a diesel pusher.) The roof is fiberglass not rubber and it's far easier to work on the roof than trying to just step on the rivets of a AS trailer. The water management is a dream. Everything is in one bay. No more getting on my knees to connect or anything else. Drains for hot and cold, fill valve to fill the water tank, sewer connections easy to reach, even a faucet to clean up with. For me it is easier to drive and back up into a site than the trailer. YMMV Hooking up the tow car is far easier than hooking a trailer. (for me) It's quiet uo front while driving because the engine is in the back. Air Horns are fun. Docking lights light up the area for night parking. Driving the high mileage tow car is cheaper than driving the low mileage truck once parker, easier to park too. Only have to change the oil once a year so even though it costs more it's actually about the same. It's fun to drive compared to towing. IMO. It comes with a ladder to get up on the roof. Increasing the solar would be easier because of the larger size. It has a mere 40W now. Increasing the battery capacity can be done because of the large battery bay. Once you learn the leveling it is far easier than a trailer. Cost for a good used one is very reasonable. We got 10MPG towing a Subaru Impreza WRX with it's emergency brake on for a 100 miles or so. Probably didn't take long to wear the break pads down till they weren't a factor. (It was time for new brakes anyway. -sigh-) That's all that comes to mind right now.

Negs: It's taller so you have to be more careful driving. More steps to climb to get into it. It's not aluminium. Bigger so it's harder to wash or will be if I ever do it. Rain has been doing a great job so far.

We started with a 1988 Class C for many years and I would not go back to a front engine RV. The doghouse is a pain to deal with and the noise plus it was gas and mileage was only 6MPG without towing anything.

We kept the Classic 30 for a couple months until we were sure what we wanted. We're happy with it. Sure there will be issues because it was a quarter million dollar MH when new and has a ton of bells and whistles that will need maintenance. But if you really want to go simple ride a bike and get a tent. Otherwise you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.
Frank
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Unless you are a master mechanic, with all the work area,tools, etc. stay away from the motor home. Absolutely too much for someone who is not experienced. We have a beautiful 38 ' motor home sitting in its house. My husband has macular degeneration, therefore I drive a pickup pulling a 28 ' Airstream. It is not trouble free, but repair is so much more simple, The posts re: cost are explanatory to you in themselves. Good Luck.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote