Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Are you embarrassed by your Airstream?

Do you ever get embarrassed by your Airstream? Recently I've been feeling a bit that way. Airstreams attract so much attention. And a small one seems to attract even more. We've had to give tours to so many people over the years. At campgrounds, gas stations, grocery stores... Does the same thing happen with bigger Airstreams? I feel a little privacy violation but I'm polite and let them look. Do they say your trailer is "cute"? Not so bad with my wife along but I've done a few solo trips and aside from the "cute" factor, there is the know monetary value of a newer Airstream. I try to live a quiet, obscure life. But, dang is it a wonderful way to travel. I blame my wife. In a good way. I've adapted to the house being purple so this must just be a faze I'll get through with the trailer. Thank you for letting me get this off my mind... Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Try a 34'! Its like trying to be subtle towing a whale in a bottle. You can't escape all the attention they draw. Everyone I encounter says they have never seen one that huge. I agree... much more Titanic than a little 16 footer.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
We just finished ours and have yet to take it out anywhere, but I was wondering how many times people ask to see in it or are caught looking in the windows. Ours is a 20 ft Globetrotter so I guess we will be getting the "cute" comment a lot too. I know when people come to our house we have to show it to them, but I was thinking it was just because they know we did work to it. We should be going out in it in the next month or so. I'll have to report back about how much attention it gets.
DandTPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13
Try a 34'! Its like trying to be subtle towing a whale in a bottle. You can't escape all the attention they draw. Everyone I encounter says they have never seen one that huge. I agree... much more Titanic than a little 16 footer.
Try a polished 34'
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Turtle: One reason I like my slightly scruffy Argosy 20' is that it does not attract quite as much attention as my "cute" 18' Caravel. There are other reasons (easy chair, dry bath, gray water tank) too, but mostly I am more invisible in the Argosy. People believe that the Argosy is 38 years old but the wow factor of a very nice 41 year old Caravel is enough to bring them out and they want to talk ...

But I sure understand your feelings. It is hard to hide in an Airstream of any age. Polish it and you will be in two ruts, one polishing and the second talking to people about it, and giving tours.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
If I polished my 34 I couldn't stand myself.....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Ours must be pretty dumpy. Have had one person ask to look in it in 7 years of pulling.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Once while camping at Cochiti Lake we had a grandmother, a mother, and her daughter all queue up in front of our 1976 Safari 23 insisting on a peek inside. These were not small women, and they all insisted on wedging themselves into our Airstream the same time. Deciding it was a good time to check the relative bearing grease, I bailed out leaving my wife to entertain.
She reported that they observed loudly to one another that though it was very cute on the outside, it was exceeding cramped on the inside. Wondering out loud why we had such a tiny trailer they made a hasty departure back to their humongously, huge fifth-wheel.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Oh, yes, as an Airstream owner you pretty much have to be ready to give tours. People love 'em. I gave many tours of the B190 (it's a quick tour), and we give tours of the 30'. Most Airstreamers, I've noticed, are thrilled to show off their campers.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
I'm always answering questions and giving tours! Once at a KOA in Virginia a professional photographer wanted to shoot interior pictures and we made it into his book! Most people either have never seen one up close or have one and want to compare...mostly just curious...but I do the same with other Airstreams and owners!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
A single weekend trip with the Airstream yielded more comments and questions than the two years with the SOB. Certainly a different experience.

No requests for a tour (other than from the neighbors when the AS is parked in the driveway).

AS: 3
SOB: 0

Airstreams are by no means the largest RVs on the road - but their aspect ratio (length versus height above the road) make them look longer then their SOB brethren. This combined with the aluminum exterior make them attention magnets.

Not embarrassed yet by the attention...

MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I've had mine out a few times. One comment from a 10 yo or so kid "man, that thing is old!" lol..

Most stares are from old guys. Airstreams are old guy magnets..
Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post

Do you ever get embarrassed by your Airstream? Recently I've been feeling a bit that way. Airstreams attract so much attention. And a small one seems to attract even more. ..........
This is a question we've (sort of) entertained a few times .....

We seem to frequent two extremes of campgrounds .....

The one extreme is the typical "RV Park" - which we hit when we are in our fall "travelin'" mode. Typically - our little 19 footer - is the "small kid on the block" - often (actually pretty much always) in the middle of a sea of giant (to us) coaches ...... we never feel embarassed - but the "it's so cute" comment that sure pisses me off .......

The other extreme is why we have a 19 footer - our personal "comfort zone" is at its most "comfortable" in national, provincial or state parks -those campsites that take a little work to back into - but always have a view (lake, mountains, horizon .... whatever) - trouble is - we are now the "big kid on the block" - we have an Airstream ..... it kinda sticks out in a sea of tents and a few SOB's ...... so yes ..... we feel a little embarassed with our aluminum "mansion" in the wilderness ..... when everyone else is sweating we have AC ..... when everyone else if freezing we have heat ..... when everyone else is soaking wet we have a roof ..... what can I say ...... sometimes it's embarassing ...... but we've learned to get over it ......

.... and yes ..... we love the tours ......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We had more interest in our Basecamp when we dragged it to Disneyland and back, but our Intl gets the odd query as well. It sits beside the house in the summer, and if I am outside people will often ask to see it... never had anyone intrude by coming to my door or anything.

At campgrounds, I don't get as much interest as at gas stations or mall parking lots...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I had that trouble with my 1948 Harley 74 pan head. I had to carry a club to beat the women off it. I had absolute strange women walk up to me at gas stations and ask me to take them for a ride. Happened over and over.

I'm scared to death to take the Airstream out.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, currently we are. The poor thing really needs a polish job. Alas, last summer did not turn out the way we had thought it would, and the job didn't get done. Ah, not done, and not even started. That, and just about every other project we had on the docket for the summer.

Lynn
Old 10-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
At every single campground I've been to, and more than half of the interstate highway rest areas, and every time I go to Camping World, my Airstream Interstate attracts at least one admirer.

The admirers tend to be either old guys or young couples. Oh, if only it was a chick magnet!

However, it's not because it's an Airstream. Most peole start off with, "Wow! I didn't know Mercedes made motorhomes!" Then I get to give the nickel tour, and explain how Mercedes only made the outside, and Airstream made the inside.

I try not to discuss the price tag with the admirers, though. Almost without exception, they underestimate the price by 50~60%, and guess a price as low as the original Mercedes Sprinter van would have cost without the Airstream conversion.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
this thread made me chuckle. my 57 flying cloud is an absolute man magnet. if i had known, i would have traded my vw westfalia in years earlier!
chris
solo mom to 2
cbcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I had that trouble with my 1948 Harley 74 pan head. I had to carry a club to beat the women off it. I had absolute strange women walk up to me at gas stations and ask me to take them for a ride. Happened over and over.

I'm scared to death to take the Airstream out.
My deepest sympathy. I feel your pain. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We could have paid for many of the upgrades we have done to our International had we charged for the tour.
I don't mind sharing the visit with other Airstream owners as it is a time to see how the new ones look and how the old ones like ours have been maintained. Some new owners have walked away stating they wish they had bought and upgraded to their needs rather than buying to the factory standard that was at the dealer. The newer 23 and 25 rear corner beds are not the best things going for older couples, but the layout and design of the rest of the coach cannot be beat.
We try to accommodate to the best we can, but will admit, when we are outside drinking our coffee in the morning that is when we have to declare that the museum is not open on Saturday or Sunday's.
We love owing our Airstream as it has been refereed too many times as a weird trailer, or a grandson asking his grand Dad that owns the Beaver Coach, why he doesn't own a cool trailer like that (the Airstream). But we are pleased to share out Airstream and let folks know that it is a lifestyle with a great community.

I've attached a picture to include the 8" brass(removal) Captains Bell, that is "hung and rung" for Happy hour! One of many things to include the Weems and Plath nautical clocks and barometers that make the International Land Yacht, with the "red sky at night, a sailors delight" an a attraction sight.

All well worth, another Wally's Sucess Story and proud to share it.

SL4BLLT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0484 (2).jpg
Views:	284
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	171514  
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote