Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I had that trouble with my 1948 Harley 74 pan head. I had to carry a club to beat the women off it. I had absolute strange women walk up to me at gas stations and ask me to take them for a ride. Happened over and over.

I'm scared to death to take the Airstream out.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, currently we are. The poor thing really needs a polish job. Alas, last summer did not turn out the way we had thought it would, and the job didn't get done. Ah, not done, and not even started. That, and just about every other project we had on the docket for the summer.

Lynn

Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
At every single campground I've been to, and more than half of the interstate highway rest areas, and every time I go to Camping World, my Airstream Interstate attracts at least one admirer.

The admirers tend to be either old guys or young couples. Oh, if only it was a chick magnet!

However, it's not because it's an Airstream. Most peole start off with, "Wow! I didn't know Mercedes made motorhomes!" Then I get to give the nickel tour, and explain how Mercedes only made the outside, and Airstream made the inside.

I try not to discuss the price tag with the admirers, though. Almost without exception, they underestimate the price by 50~60%, and guess a price as low as the original Mercedes Sprinter van would have cost without the Airstream conversion.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
this thread made me chuckle. my 57 flying cloud is an absolute man magnet. if i had known, i would have traded my vw westfalia in years earlier!
chris
solo mom to 2
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I had that trouble with my 1948 Harley 74 pan head. I had to carry a club to beat the women off it. I had absolute strange women walk up to me at gas stations and ask me to take them for a ride. Happened over and over.

I'm scared to death to take the Airstream out.
My deepest sympathy. I feel your pain. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We could have paid for many of the upgrades we have done to our International had we charged for the tour.
I don't mind sharing the visit with other Airstream owners as it is a time to see how the new ones look and how the old ones like ours have been maintained. Some new owners have walked away stating they wish they had bought and upgraded to their needs rather than buying to the factory standard that was at the dealer. The newer 23 and 25 rear corner beds are not the best things going for older couples, but the layout and design of the rest of the coach cannot be beat.
We try to accommodate to the best we can, but will admit, when we are outside drinking our coffee in the morning that is when we have to declare that the museum is not open on Saturday or Sunday's.
We love owing our Airstream as it has been refereed too many times as a weird trailer, or a grandson asking his grand Dad that owns the Beaver Coach, why he doesn't own a cool trailer like that (the Airstream). But we are pleased to share out Airstream and let folks know that it is a lifestyle with a great community.

I've attached a picture to include the 8" brass(removal) Captains Bell, that is "hung and rung" for Happy hour! One of many things to include the Weems and Plath nautical clocks and barometers that make the International Land Yacht, with the "red sky at night, a sailors delight" an a attraction sight.

All well worth, another Wally's Sucess Story and proud to share it.

SL4BLLT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0484 (2).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	171514  
Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I don't hear it's "cute." I get, "It's soooooo cute!" Just when I think I've gotten used to that, I get someone who gushes more than anyone before. I get attention in campgrounds, at rest stops, at view areas, gas stations and in my driveway. Most people seem too shy to ask to see inside, but if I have the door open, then anything goes.

The only time I still cringe a bit is when someone asked, "So how much did you pay for this?" I usually say something like, "I'm still paying."

Stan
Salt Lake City
16' Quiksilver
Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I try not to discuss the price tag with the admirers, though. Almost without exception, they underestimate the price by 50~60%, and guess a price as low as the original Mercedes Sprinter van would have cost without the Airstream conversion.
People usually OVER estimate the value of our Airstream. Perhaps it's that 'Airstream Millionaire' thing, but when I tell them it's worth less than the fancy SOB they are camping in, they always seem disappointed.

Of course, value is all relative, because it's dollar amount might be less than theirs, but I wouldn't trade them straight across if they asked. I love my cute little Airstream

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We have had three AS and have always gotten a bunch of interest. Recently we had some guys over to fix our water feature at the house and all they could talk about was the AS. They wanted a tour and they got it. Airstreams are cool. If you own one you KNOW they are. That being said, I love touring campers no matter the brand.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My favorite one was in a campground in Ft. Lauderdale back in the late 80s. I met two couples that were friends, both couples owned new Bluebirds. Back then Bluebirds were pretty much the top of the line. They walked over to take a look at my 1967 24' Trade Wind, and the wives asked for a tour. Upon entering one of them exclaimed, "Why it's round on the inside too!"
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Internet makes a good substitute a la the AIRSTREAM website (viewing interiors, etc). I recall both my parents and grandparents being irritated at times by some less-than-thoughtful fellow campers. I'm sure they'd have been glad to have been able to make that recommendation.

Not suggesting turning folks away when one feels amenable, but I'm not interested (most of the time) in seeing theirs (SOB RV's) as a function of reciprocity. Just what is it we are doing, here?

Maybe if I was a vacationer only, but as the TT is also home . . . .

Sort of like the situation with the truck. I get questions about it, but short of the hood already being open at a service station I leave things alone the same way.

Though, in both of the above, when it is a shared interest (truck or trailer) then the doormat is more likely to be out. And both vehicles cleaned up to do just that for an agreed time in advance.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I guess I might weird but I love to talk about my AS and give tours. Even though it's alway a mess with 4 kids I had 4 people asking questions when we were in Zion and also wanted to know about my Andersen Hitch as no one had seen anything like it. I also track down other owners of AS in the camp ground. I don't want a tour but like to have a quick chat...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Just tonight while at the community pool's Halloween party I was talking with another attendee about camping. He had asked if I had seen that "really cool" Airstream up the road. I told him that it was mine, and he started asking many questions. I invited him to the rally at Wurstfest we are having next weekend just so he could see some other Airstreams. I love informing folks about these trailers.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #28

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Just tonight while at the community pool's Halloween party I was talking with another attendee about camping. He had asked if I had seen that "really cool" Airstream up the road. I told him that it was mine, ... I love informing folks about these trailers.
With that particular trailer...
Heavy is the head that wears the crown..,

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote