Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
IMHO, Airstreams are the Ferraris of the RV market. Pretty, the sexy thing to have, sleek and a lot of maintenance. Our family has owned a 24' Jayco since new in 1982. It has had one Dometic fridge repair where the guts finally gave out. Guts replaced and it's been good to go for about 2-3 years now. That's it outside of tires, wheel bearings and normal wear and tear items. No, it's not as glamorous and no, we never got as many can I see the inside as I do with the Safari, but it has been and continues to be an excellent trailer. I have had more issues, far more issues with my Airstream than we ever had with that Jayco, and it's now a 27 year old trailer and by our standards here, a vintage trailer.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt I'd want any different trailer than an Airstream, but as I said before and as Gene reiterated, to pay full price (minus discount) for a new one with what you can easily read on the links I've given you earlier, to me, it just doesn't add up or make sense. If a lot of the issues were solved and they really took QC seriously in my opinion, yea, it'd be worth the price of a brand new one.

Airstream does do some nice things, like enclosed belly pan, duraflex axles, etc. Some other brands also do this, but again, they lack the sexy look. To some that in and of itself is worth the price of admission in favor of going Airstream bound.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Cool factor

We bought our 2005 Classic used early this year and have taken it out for 3 trips for a total of 5000 miles. This trailer was used only 2 times, towed less than 400 miles and was stored inside before we bought it. Since bringing it home, I replaced the batteries, washed it and waxed it and only fixed a couple things that the previous owner screwed up. No other issues. We got a barely used trailer for less than half the price of a new one and it is like new.

This is an awsome trailer to tow and to live in. Our first trip was in temperatures down to 19 degrees and we dry camped for 3 nights with no problems using the shower, toilet and kitchen and staying warm with the propane furnace. It is very tight and well insulated. Once we had electricity, we used the heat pump and it worked well.

I can see that maintenance to keep the exterior washed and waxed is considerably more than with my old classic 18' 1982 Holiday Rambler Ramblette, but is well worth it. It is easier to tow and I get better fuel mileage even though it weighs twice as much.

I expect to keep this Airstream for many years keeping it in an enclosed garage. The other thing about it is that it is COOL when compared to all the other boxy trailers out there

Dennis

Old 06-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Keep what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley View Post
I joined this forum awhile back in contemplation of purchasing a new 19-22' A/S. I have always been attracted to them and finally have the resources to purchase a new one. I have owned other trailers and presently own a 2009
T@da which I plan on trading in. I always felt that Airstreams were the Harley Davidson or the Mercedes of the trailer industry, something to strive for and when owning one you feel you have finally arrived.
Having said that, I'm surprised at all the issues A/S seem to have, particularly maintenance. It seems that one should wax their A/S at least once a year and inspect their roofs yearly for leaks and constantly be looking for leaks around rivets? I have only ever washed my trailer but never contemplated waxing it. I have never worried about leaks because the roofs were either rubber or EDPM with 20 year lives and my current roof is one solid piece of alum/fibreglass. I don't think I have ever been on any of my trailer roofs except to install a vent cover. I thought by buying new I should not have any problems for 10-20 years? I realize there is some routine maintenance but A/S seem to have a lot.

Am I going the wrong direction here by upgrading to an A/S and am I going to be a slave to more than average maintenance from the first day of ownership? Thanks
"You may not like what I have to tell you, but it is the truth."

Hi, let's be honest here; To me, for you, to be thinking about buying a new Airstream when you already own a current year model trailer is rediculous. You are lost in trailer land! As for the SOB roofs, I have always heard that they are good for ten years max not twenty. If you don't want to wax your trailer, don't. I have had my trailer since September 2004 and it has never been waxed. Dare to compare; My trailer looks as good or better than those that have been waxed. My trailer has never been stored indoors. I don't know of any perfect trailer or RV that won't need a handy person keep it tight and everything operating. Everything [cabinets] inside of my trailer is made out of plywood, 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" and I love to push on the inside walls of SOBs with one finger and watch the wall flex.

I think you need to keep your T@da for at least five years before you make the move to an Airstream. This is my opinion and you did ask.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Costs

Airstream products, when used and cared for properly, are not that difficult or expensive to take care of, over the lonh haul.

Careless and abusive used of them, are an entirely different story, along with zero PM.

In fact, it appears that the more you use it, the better it holds up.

When dealing with a used purchase, the sky is the limit for costs. What a previous owner may have done, to save a few dollars, or without proper tools, along without even a reasonable knowledge of the product, or a butcher job, could fill several books, with ease.

We see this sad stuff, everyday.

To repair or correct some of the "who knows where that came from" repairs, typically means removing the "stuff and then fixing the original problem, which unfortunately, typically takes more time and money to repair, than it would have originally.

Making an Airstream work or to look "great" is not difficult, when done properly.

Substituting "knock off" parts or parts from a K-mart type store, usually results in a less than desireable repair or appearance.

But, to each his own.

It's really the new owner, and new to Airstreaming, of a used Airstream product, that suffers the consequences of "shady" repairs, especially when they desire to restore it so that they can enjoy it, and participate in the joys and fellowship of "Airstreaming."

Andy
Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley View Post
I joined this forum awhile back in contemplation of purchasing a new 19-22' A/S. I have always been attracted to them and finally have the resources to purchase a new one. I have owned other trailers and presently own a 2009
T@da which I plan on trading in. I always felt that Airstreams were the Harley Davidson or the Mercedes of the trailer industry, something to strive for and when owning one you feel you have finally arrived.
Having said that, I'm surprised at all the issues A/S seem to have, particularly maintenance. It seems that one should wax their A/S at least once a year and inspect their roofs yearly for leaks and constantly be looking for leaks around rivets? I have only ever washed my trailer but never contemplated waxing it. I have never worried about leaks because the roofs were either rubber or EDPM with 20 year lives and my current roof is one solid piece of alum/fibreglass. I don't think I have ever been on any of my trailer roofs except to install a vent cover. I thought by buying new I should not have any problems for 10-20 years? I realize there is some routine maintenance but A/S seem to have a lot.

Am I going the wrong direction here by upgrading to an A/S and am I going to be a slave to more than average maintenance from the first day of ownership? Thanks
Unless the place where you want to trade in your Tada will allow you everything you paid for it in trade, I wouldn't consider it. You'll be taking at least a 25% depreciation hit. I'd wait for at least two, and preferably 4-5 years before trading, unless there is something about the trailer you have that makes it completely unworkable for you (bad layout, leaks, things falling apart faster than you can put them back on, etc).
Now, for maintenance, they all require it. You can liken them to a car that really doesn't have a maintenance schedule. You can not do anything to them for a year or two, and probably get away with it, but the little things you don't do will add up and snowball into major issues down the road. One reason Airstream have more maintenance is because they last longer. You wouldn't, for example, lube the door hinges on another brand for fear of the hinges failing in 5-8 years if you don't, because chances are good the trailer won't be around that long, and an Airstream will.
BTW, many RV parks have a ten year old rule for allowing RVs to stay there for a reason--by the time an RV is ten years old, it looks like a refugee from a junkyard. If you pulled in with three Airstreams, one 3 years old, one ten years old, and one 20 years old, most park owners would be hard-pressed to tell you which one is over the limit.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Hi- Life

Coming in from a SOB class 'C', I was working on it all year up till time for vacations.
When I finally noticed this, I swapped to an Airstream MH.
Now I still make repairs and upgrades, but each repair is long lasting and solid.
As with the SOB, it was always a patch job, and more problems behind other problems.

Just noticed, mine is 20 years old this year.

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote