Old 08-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Anyone wish for more off-road capable Airstream?

Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I've been recently looking at trailers to buy and have always loved Airstreams. My worry is that maybe it would be too fragile for my needs. I love the interior size and decor of the new 30 foot classics.

But would I be limited to relatively large, flat camp ground and parks?

Would the long overhangs and lower chassis height scrape on even rudimentary trails?

Is the beautiful aluminum skin easy to dent in with bush and tree branches?

For around the same money as the Classic ($120K) I could import a high quality Australian off-road camper full loaded. The Australians seem to make the best off-road/boondocking campers. (Kimberley are actually USA VIN'd/real easy to import).

Kimberleykruiser - Finest Australian Off Road Caravan

That thing I could take boondocking and really keep away from the crowds. Real proper boondocking systems like:

720 watt factory solar

Factory satellite

740 amp hour battery setup

12 volt air conditioning etc

Diesel cooking etc

Huge water tanks

Plus right now the USD/AUSD exchange rate is really good for US buyers.

Having only done Class A traveling before, without actually having "lived the lifestyle" in something like a 30 Classic or this Kimberley for off-road it is hard to know which I would prefer.

The Airstream of course has the the classic looks, beautiful and more spacious interior but more fragile for off-road and will be more "tethered" to civilization.

The Kimberly would allow really getting into the outskirts of boondocking areas that aren't well traversed, super quality design, more boondocking features but the trailer door and outdoor grill are on the wrong side and getting parts from Australia could be a headache and fluctuate with eh exchange rate.

So, has anyone else yearned for something like an Airstream but more off-road capable? Short of putting on larger tires on the Airstream for more cushion and ground clearance, I'm not sure if they would hold up on the rougher lifestyle... Thoughts?

Since the answer to your first 3 questions is yes, and there is nothing in America that even comes close to the Kimberly, go for it. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I just looked a the Kimberly web site. Man they are beautiful. Funny thing is I would have bought one and had it imported before I ever realized the door is on the wrong side....

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Monticello , Arkansas
When I worked the oilfields back in the 80s every location always had the tool pushers trailer on site. Never really thought about it at the time but we drilled in some pretty tough off road locations.
Unclebill53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #18
Regular Guy
1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I enjoy watching the old AS caravan videos on YouTube. Bouncing through truck ruts like they were on a trampoline. Im sure they ate lots of scrambled eggs and omlettes.
My only concern would be high centering the tanks. That is where the rock magnets are located.
The smaller AS's are probably better suited for a run through the woods. YeeHaa!
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
penticton , British Columbia
for a good offroad airstream, some of the system would need to be simplified. Make it also lighter and with air suspention. it would be fun and very possible.

jonnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
We were in Asheville last fall for the "Overland Expo". Lots of eye candy for those dreaming of off roading in style. Check out their site at www. Expedition

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cottonboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Rockingham , North Carolina
The bigger question is where on the east coast would you be allowed to Boondock in the first place. Or maybe your planning on using it on other side of Mississippi. I'm eager to hear and share your interest. But I searched and struck out regarding remote camping opportunities in our area.

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I boondock at several different spots in south Mississippi on National Forest lands. Seldom used fire roads lead to old unused fire watch towers and small ponds. It is rare to see anyone else there. At the most the occasional hiker or scout group. Also river and creek landing make excellent boondocking spots. We do not have the massive BLM lands like the west does but good boondocking spots are out there if you do some investigating.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote