Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #71
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Love Your Vintage...

I hugely enjoy Vintage Airstreams and look forward to seeing how they have been restored and renovated at vintage rallies we attend.
But my wife and I are really enjoying our lightly used 2007, our fourth Airstream after a 1976, a 2000, and another 1976.

We really enjoy the big refer that keeps things cold (what a concept!)
The water heater that you can turn on and off from inside the bathroom and run on 120AC or propane.
The dinette.
The walk-through, center bathroom.

We have yet to own a 60's and we skipped right over the 80's and 90's.

Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #72
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Later this year, my 23' Itasca MH with 37,000 miles will be 20 years old. In spite of the many negative comments about SOB's here, the walls have not fallen off and still has no leaks. I bought it used and make sure that it is properly maintained. We keep it in SoCal to use on short overnight trips when we're here in the winter. The fact that there are so many old AS's out there that need massive overhauls is rather puzzling. Are the current owners of AS's today much better at maintaing their trailers than owners 30 years ago? With prices running 2.5 to 3 times that of a same size SOB today, what was the spread 30 years ago? Were AS's prices closer to that of SOB's back in the day?

I've been into classic cars and hot rods for 40 years. I've come to the conclusion that it's cheaper to buy a finished car than it is to do it myself. Same goes for old AS's.

Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Interesting. That makes the Itasca a 1992. To be fair, there aren't too many owners of 1990s Airstreams who are doing shell-off restorations.

You're right about it being cheaper to buy someone else's work. That assumes you can find the trailer that you want that's done the way you want it. I know of a well-restored 70s Tradewind that I could get for a fair price...if only it was a 22' or 24' Argosy, we'd own it...

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member
1961 16' Bambi
Wilmington , DE
i was born in January and our airstream was built in January

but i was born in 1949 while our airstream was built in 1961

and it's about as new as can be for me....
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
And just the other day my wife and I were saying, after visiting your shop on line, "When this old trailer (1984) gets to where it needs some "real" work done, I think we have found the place." So, how old does it need to be before I can call you up? (totally kidding here, except about the quality of work I keep hearing about from your shop)
LOL. Hopefully not too old. Even if we get a modern (built in the last decade) trailer, there's still a list of shortcomings I'd have Frank go through and fix/upgrade. More battery capacity, better skylights, better seam sealant, Marmoleum floors, instant hot water heater - so much I'd want...

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #76
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I have mixed feelings on New vs. Used.

I'm now on my second "used/Vintage" trailer. I thoroughly enjoy transforming a trailer that was down and out in to something functional and new-er. However, I would also enjoy just getting out there and using an Airstream instead of spending every extra minute I have working on it.

The trade off is that when I get done refurbishing/modernizing my trailer, I will have exactly what I want, and will know every inch of it and how it was constructed. No surprises when I am out on the road and something goes wrong. I should be able to do most any repair myself. (other than the AC or some electronic appliance component failing)

As for cost... Well, I cannot afford a new one, but if you factor in the minimum wage I could pay myself while working on my trailer, and the cost of materials... I could have purchased a new one, but it would not be exactly what I wanted.

Vintage Airstreams and simply redoing one that isn't the way you want it, is as much a part of the Airstream Culture as is the person that travels constantly in their new/newer trailer. There are many ways to enjoy an Airstream.

My 77 Sovereign Renovation
Out in the woods, or in the city, It's all the same to me.
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home....When I'm mobile.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote