Old 04-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Hello Paul, Kevin and Steve,

Your compliments and curiosity support my theory that it's more fun with vintage. You wouldn't be writing me if I had just another shiny new production model.

I was at the Pecan Grove on Barton Springs about 7 weeks ago. Man, time flies. I'm in Asheville, North Carolina now - THE NEW AUSTIN, by the way.

I bought the cab and chassis Mercedes new in Grand Rapids, Michigan and had the customization done in Elgin County, Ontario - where we did the whole project.

My main thread, with much detail, is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post182701

Spent a couple weeks in Selma, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa last month Steve. Beautiful state. The rig is heavy - over 14,500 pounds total - but I have averaged between 16 to 18 mpg over the 150+ days on the road so far.

Sergei

Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We have both. As soon as one of the vintage units is ready to roll, we will get rid of the new. It's hard to prioritize events with the Airstream: do we travel or do we "work on" one of our project trailers. I just hope I can live long enough to see one of the vintage to completion.
Paula

Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
No. Love my Vintage. Some of my camping neighbors don't get it..... they never will.

Karol
Old 01-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
This is a hard question. When we started looking all we were looking at was new. But then a financial sanity check was done and we started looking used. (-: We have an 84 Sovereign and I have to say we love it. I envy the newer ones but to expand on the comments by Seldencove...when you pull into a campground, look at the big fifth wheels and motorhomes. People do not come out. They stay inside all day. Why even leave home? I think you run that risk with a brand new Airstream as well. But having an older Airstream does bring challenges. I think the neatest thing to me though is looking around at the other campers and wondering how many of them will even be on the road in 27 years like our Airstream. So as long as it is an Airstream, I think you win.
Why would you be more inclined to stay inside of a new model as opposed to an old one. That comment makes no sense to me?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #61
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I read over this whole thread and was struck by a few things. These are my personal thoughts...

Many talk about "the camping experience" Well, as much as I like Streaming, I honestly do not look at sleeping in a real bed under flannel sheets as camping. I also do not look at pulling the fixings for dinner and a cold beer from my gas/ electric fridge, to cook it on a four burner stove while my pie bakes in the oven as "camping". After dinner, when I take my shower to get the days grime off me, yep, not really "camping"...

I also find it funny that this thread was started by the owner of a 2011 and it turned into a total vintage love fest. I wonder if the original motivation for the thread was diverted and even subverted along the way.

Personally, I love the vintage rigs. I do not consider a 1994 a vintage rig however. Honestly, I have trouble accepting 80's trailers as vintage. Perhaps this same thread but "do you wish your vintage trailer was a legacy trailer?" might be a very interesting discussion. I have been in plenty of "NEW" rigs lately. It would be a shame to think you are buying a "new" trailer with no worries to find the floor needs replacement. There are a number of "newish" owners finding this out right now.

In an earlier post I made a statement I doubt many picked up on. If you restore it, it is "NEW" it is brand new like the day it was built originally
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #62
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Well now.....very interesting question.

I guess if I was new I would prefer old, Vintage=40+yrs.

Remember, I'm lost in the 60's, as such it's much more of a pain spending the necessary "fun" time doing all the preventative medicine.(the science, diagnosis, prevention, practice, and repair of Airstream maladies.).

"Cloudsplitter" keeps me busy enough in that regard... and the "Frantic Banana"(63 Safari), filled that need from 1987-2004.

I'm very happy where I am now.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #63
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I read over this whole thread and was struck by a few things. These are my personal thoughts...

Many talk about "the camping experience" Well, as much as I like Streaming, I honestly do not look at sleeping in a real bed under flannel sheets as camping. I also do not look at pulling the fixings for dinner and a cold beer from my gas/ electric fridge, to cook it on a four burner stove while my pie bakes in the oven as "camping". After dinner, when I take my shower to get the days grime off me, yep, not really "camping"...
We bought ours so we didn't have to camp! My wife's not much of a "camper"....the trailer allows us to "travel", but I've always just assumed that that's what everyone else does? Isn't this partly the reason why Wally went down the path he did (i.e. HIS wife and the comforts of home)?

Totally agree with you Frank.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Some would say at my age that I am vintage and constantly repairing myself so I see nothing wrong with a new AS. In fact it is like pairing vintage wine with nouvelle cuisine. It works for some and not others.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
If I were given a brand new Flying Cloud, I'd surely take it! But buying a new AS is just not on my wish list. It's a financial priorities thing.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I guess I never considered our Argosy 26' to be a camping trailer. It's a travel trailer.
I've been very impressed with SmokelessJoe's rig since the first time I saw it and read his story. It is a very impressive rig.
Sounds like he's getting his moneys worth.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I would love to have a new one! I also love our old one. And a super vintage one would be awesome as well. They are all amazing!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I do have a new one however last fall I saw a vintage 19 footer to die for. It was absolutely beautiful however I do not have skills, the talent or the patience to work on one and it just not in the cards to have two
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
1984 is VINTAGE, it's a rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Why would you be more inclined to stay inside of a new model as opposed to an old one. That comment makes no sense to me?
Makes no sense to me ether. And I wrote it! Honestly, I think we were pretty new to the Airstream community when I posted that (this thread is almost a year old now) and we love to sit out by the fire and read a book or generally relax. I guess I was thinking that with all the new conveniences in the new trailers, they could entice you to stay inside more. (we have still never even turned on our tv) But maybe not, the more I spend time with Streamers we all tend to enjoy our trailers inside and out, new or old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post

Honestly, I have trouble accepting 80's trailers as vintage.
Oh now this just hurts... And just the other day my wife and I were saying, after visiting your shop on line, "When this old trailer (1984) gets to where it needs some "real" work done, I think we have found the place." So, how old does it need to be before I can call you up? (totally kidding here, except about the quality of work I keep hearing about from your shop)

IMHO..It just seems to me that the good 'ol USA has turned into a "disposable" society. No one "expects" the things they buy to last very long, throwing things away is accepted as the norm. It is refreshing to have a product on the market that, with some loving care, can be around for many many years and still turn heads. Gotta have the new ones to keep getting the old ones though, so they are all good to see on the road.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Would take a new Airstream -- if we didn't have to give up our two vintage Airstreams and if we didn't have to pay for the new one.

maccamper has made our 1974 Ambassador essentially a "new" Airstream and is in the process of doing the same with our 1966 Globe Trotter. They're a joy to "camp" in. (The way I like to "camp.")

Nancy Mac (mrs. maccamper)