Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #41
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
We, too, have looked at newer A/S's....but feel that ours is much more flexible in the amount of storage vs the newer units. If we don't like the way something is working out, we can create something better in its place (not that you "can't" do that with a newer unit, but it's certainly easier and possibly "cheaper" to do it on a vintage one). Plus, the newer ones appear to lack the soul that the older ones do -- it's like each decade there's a little more lost.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #42
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
............... Plus, the newer ones appear to lack the soul that the older ones do -- it's like each decade there's a little more lost.
Time is passing by....

I believe nostalgia is lost on the older generation.In other words what comes around goes around. Kids now who travel in New Airsteams will be nostalgic on the current models. They won't associate their good times with a current vintage 50-80's model.

I take my Family in our new one and my son Loves it. In 20 years he will look at our "late" model with "soul" and will look for the times that have gone by and want to relive those memories. So don't fret...There is no losing of soul,,,,it's all about PERCEPTION.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

After having spent some money for improvements in the past 6 years on our '88 we have it where we are comfortable with it, ie.new tires, shocks, rewelded front step connection, new refrigerator, riser attachment for the toilet and new mechanism for it, rust preventive work on rear bumper compartment, new window rock guards, new vent covers and fantistic fan, couch reupulstered, painting on trailer skirting.

We recently got interested on a slightly used 2011 27ft Flying cloud, but started thinking that the sales tax alone on $55,000 could see us through new flooring, curtains, and selective interior painting to further improve our 88. I'd love to have a new one, but don't want one bad enough to pay for it. We decided that for us, we would prefer to use some money traveling with the '88.

Airstream has done some savvy things with the new ones that we like, ie vinyl flooring, Oceanair shades, beautiful cabinetry in the Intenational Serenity. They are great looking trailers. We would love to have one!

Pat
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I love to look at new ones, but I can't say I would really want one. I'm the opposite of most of the comments in this thread. I love the look of the outside of the shiny new trailers, but the interior doesn't do it for me. I prefer the interior of the vintage '50s and '60s trailers. They just have a feel to them that I can't quite be matched by any of the new models. The first comment that most SOB owners make when they see the inside of my '69 is, "They sure don't make 'em like this anymore!" I'm inclined to agree with them, even in comparison to the new ones. Don't get me wrong, the CCD and the Ocean Breeze interiors are a real breath of fresh air in a market full of also-ran white boxes, just not my thing.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
From this thread it appears vintage owners outnumber newer owners at Air Forums. Is there any compiled data of Air members as to what models and year their Airstreams are? I think it is searchable but I don't think it is tallied.

Oh and to in keeping with this thread topic, I would LOVE a new Airstream. I want a 30' Flying Cloud with recliners and/or a 28' Serenity or a 25' Eddie Bauer as a third Airstream. And I would love a vintage Airstream, a 13 panel Airstream or one with jallousie windows, or a 2005 Sky Deck and a 20' Argosy motorhome and a Bambi and a 34' footer and MORE! I want them all!!!!! They are all highly desirable. Gimme Gimme Gimme!!!!

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Before I started in on my project I got cold feet, doubting that I had the capacity or ability to pull off my plan. Would a new one make more sense?

So I went to a nearby dealer and sat in a CCD for an hour or so, thinking.

I liked the new Airstream but it was Christopher Deam’s idea of what my trailer should be like, not mine.

In the end I spent more money on my extensive remodel than I would have on a brand new trailer but I got what I wanted: a totally unique design and lifestyle project for me, by me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	126142

I’ve been on the road for 159 consecutive days now and I don’t think that there’s been a single day that somebody didn’t stop me or come by to tell me how great the rig looks and ask me questions about the Argosy.

I never tire of it. I appreciate both the curiosity and the compliments. If my shiny new Airstream looked like everyone else’s shiny new Airstream I wouldn’t have that pleasure.

Name:	dogwood.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	126143

Passing through small town Louisiana as the dogwoods came out

Name:	awning up.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	126144

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Why buy something new when you can bring something old back to life again? Being the caretaker of a vintage Airstream is the best kind of recycling.
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #48
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTsafari View Post
Why buy something new when you can bring something old back to life again? Being the caretaker of a vintage Airstream is the best kind of recycling.
Whats wrong with recycling new? They aren't magically going to dissapear....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
A view from another angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Whats wrong with recycling new? They aren't magically going to dissapear....

Shane
Hi, if it wasn't for the new Airstreams, at some point, there never would be any old ones. All vintage Airstreams were once new.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #50
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Four pages.

Thank you all for your feelings about Airstreams.

I have learned that there is no difference between the two. It's the "streamers" who make them come to life old or new.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #51
64GlobeTrotter68Overlande

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Before I started in on my project I got cold feet, doubting that I had the capacity or ability to pull off my plan. Would a new one make more sense?

I liked the new Airstream but it was Christopher Deam’s idea of what my trailer should be like, not mine.

In the end I spent more money on my extensive remodel than I would have on a brand new trailer but I got what I wanted: a totally unique design and lifestyle project for me, by me.

Attachment 126142
I’ve been on the road for 159 consecutive days now and I don’t think that there’s been a single day that somebody didn’t stop me or come by to tell me how great the rig looks and ask me questions about the Argosy.

I never tire of it. I appreciate both the curiosity and the compliments. If my shiny new Airstream looked like everyone else’s shiny new Airstream I wouldn’t have that pleasure.

Attachment 126143

Attachment 126144

Sergei
Sergei,

Love that TV with the mini, what a great setup.
https://www.airforums.com/attachment...ic34024_12.gif
man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Attachment 126142

Attachment 126143

Attachment 126144

Sergei
Dang Sergei,

I didn't realize that was you coming thru south Austin on Barton Springs road a few weeks ago! I live right there...

Anyways, too bad I didn't run after you and follow you.. I've followed your diesel conversion thread a few years ago and always tell my wife that your way is the way to go... Even down to the TV and dingy car setup!

If you roll back thru Austin, please PM me and we'll buy you dinner in exchange for a personal tour of your rig...

As far as the original question on this thread, I have to say I have a kin for the vintage over the new...There is something about the story that those units can say "if these rivets could talk"...
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:

Attachment 126142

Attachment 126143

Attachment 126144

Sergei
Sergei,

Great looking rig! Where did you get your tow vehicle? What are your mpgs when towing?This is a a great idea. With the cost of fuel, it makes a lot of sense to have a high mpg vehicle to drive at your destination, and save miles on the TV.

Steve
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I'd like one of each. If I had a new one now, we could be using it while I am working s-l-o-w-l-y on the renovation of our 67. It's taking 3 times the money and 10 times the time that I'd like. Still a 'hoot'!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have sorta new..(late model, gently used). I always planned on having one of each. The newer one came first as I just don't have the space in suburbia to restore a vintage unit. (laws against "storage" at the house too). My newer unit, I can keep operational inside the law (I do all my own work and maintenance) and use it now and extensively. When I retire, maybe 6 or 7 years from now, I plan to reverse things. Little house, big outbuilding, more land. Then I'll get my vintage project. I'l look and maybe buy within that couple year timeframe prior to retirement.
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
I love the expression on people's faces when I tell them my trailer is almost 40 years old. That alone makes it worth all the work.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Hello Paul, Kevin and Steve,

Your compliments and curiosity support my theory that it's more fun with vintage. You wouldn't be writing me if I had just another shiny new production model.

I was at the Pecan Grove on Barton Springs about 7 weeks ago. Man, time flies. I'm in Asheville, North Carolina now - THE NEW AUSTIN, by the way.

I bought the cab and chassis Mercedes new in Grand Rapids, Michigan and had the customization done in Elgin County, Ontario - where we did the whole project.

My main thread, with much detail, is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post182701

Spent a couple weeks in Selma, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa last month Steve. Beautiful state. The rig is heavy - over 14,500 pounds total - but I have averaged between 16 to 18 mpg over the 150+ days on the road so far.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We have both. As soon as one of the vintage units is ready to roll, we will get rid of the new. It's hard to prioritize events with the Airstream: do we travel or do we "work on" one of our project trailers. I just hope I can live long enough to see one of the vintage to completion.
Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
No. Love my Vintage. Some of my camping neighbors don't get it..... they never will.

Karol
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
This is a hard question. When we started looking all we were looking at was new. But then a financial sanity check was done and we started looking used. (-: We have an 84 Sovereign and I have to say we love it. I envy the newer ones but to expand on the comments by Seldencove...when you pull into a campground, look at the big fifth wheels and motorhomes. People do not come out. They stay inside all day. Why even leave home? I think you run that risk with a brand new Airstream as well. But having an older Airstream does bring challenges. I think the neatest thing to me though is looking around at the other campers and wondering how many of them will even be on the road in 27 years like our Airstream. So as long as it is an Airstream, I think you win.
Why would you be more inclined to stay inside of a new model as opposed to an old one. That comment makes no sense to me?
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote