Old 03-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
As beautiful and convenient as the new models are. I love my vintage rig(s) and would not trade it for a new one. I love the nostalgia that comes with owning a vintage Airstream. Just my 2 cents.

WBCCI# 2578
Four Corners Unit

Our travel and resto blog:
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Well, when you live in a house that is more than 150 years old, relatively speaking, a 1969 AS is quite new!
It's a 'comfort food' sort of thing - what is now vintage is what we grew up with. Fun and fuzzy to escape with for a few days when we can. But, if we were in it 3 or 4 months of the year, who knows? I think I was just born with old bones!

69 AirDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I wish I had or old.
Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Been there, done that: sold my 22' 66 after taking 4+ years rebuilding it, and bought a 2005 30' Classic.

I love the space of the new and my craftsmanship of the old.

Do not like the poor craftsmanship of the new, or the amount of time needed to maintain the exterior of the old.

The issues of the new that bother me most will be fixed over time, after all I did it once and can do it again. Only this time it doesn't have to be done at one time (or at all, for that matter).

BTW, it's a lot easier finding parts for the new!!!
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
I love my old one, and love the original interior. However, if I full timed, I would want to have a renovated or new one. I don't like having to fight the water heater for more than a few days at a time.
Cory, Angie, and 'Lucy'
1966 Sovereign International
2003 Black Chevy Silverado w/q-steer
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we never even considered a vintage trailer/Airstream. We wanted a slightly used one but all of the trailers we looked at were about 10 years old by numbers, priced like a ten year old trailer, but about 50 years old in condition. We had a truck bed/trailer/camper and my wife said we're going first class this time. We bought our trailer brand new and don't ever plan on trading up, down, or sideways. We like what we decided on as our life time trailer. The vintage are nice and I have the ability to make one right, but unlike most of you who live on a farm, have a barn larger than my property, and six million acres of land to practice towing on, we only have about three square feet of dirt to work on. [exaggerations] I'm getting old and don't want to use up what is left of my time restoring a trailer.

I live in a house that was built in 1952 and have a car that was built in 1959, that's enough old for me.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:26 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member
1968 20' Globetrotter
Avondale , Arizona
Our Globetrotter was built the year we got married. It, like us, has stood the test of a lot of time. I don't particularly like the newer Airstreams as much. There is something magic about the curves and seams of the older streams!!! Plus... I would never even consider dragging a new Airstream into the places in the back country of Arizona we've taken our '68!
joyful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #36
1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
I have felt that way at one time or other. But once I fixed it again!!
I would state , Boy I like these old airsteams.
They have character. No wonder everyone likes them!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member
2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I prefer new and then make the modifications you want. zz
Ditto. That is what we did and are doing!

eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #38
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Seems to me that old and new are both are terrific, but in different ways. Newer have a few more creature comforts and (unless systems on an older coach have been upgraded) are probably more reliable. Older have more nostalgia value and weigh a LOT less for easier towing with smaller tow machines.

But in either case, entropy takes its daily toll: there is always the ongoing, never ending vigil of maintenance and repair. And with the maintenance comes the opportunity to take either new or old and modify it lust a little here and a little there, so it does what YOU want, so it is reflective of how YOU live and travel, so ultimately it is YOURS.

That is one of the things I like about going to AS rallies - visiting form unit to unit, unless they are brand spanking new, they are all different. Each reflects the owner's personality, habits, desires, style. It's all good, folks!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #39
Rivet Master
1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Ours is a 1992, and I really don't even think about a newer one. I like the one we have. We feel free to do anything we want to it and just love camping in it. If we had a new one, I think I would worry myself to death. How awful it would be to dent or scratch it!

Ours has a big dent right between the "eyes" on the front and several other "beauty marks". Suits us just fine!

Besides that, even if we could afford it, I would not spend the ridiculous amount of money a new one costs.

Oh, yeah, and I feel sorry for people with big, new, fancy SOB fifth wheels, too, when they pull in with all that bulk and weight. That ain't campin', it's hauling your house around with you.
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins HD
1987 Excella 32'

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We enjoy our newer trailer very's a choice we made for good reasons... BUT we also highly value and respect vintage rigs and their owners... ALL Airstreams are cool, no matter what their age, and all have their own advantages...
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #41
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
We, too, have looked at newer A/S's....but feel that ours is much more flexible in the amount of storage vs the newer units. If we don't like the way something is working out, we can create something better in its place (not that you "can't" do that with a newer unit, but it's certainly easier and possibly "cheaper" to do it on a vintage one). Plus, the newer ones appear to lack the soul that the older ones do -- it's like each decade there's a little more lost.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream):

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012:
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #42
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
............... Plus, the newer ones appear to lack the soul that the older ones do -- it's like each decade there's a little more lost.
Time is passing by....

I believe nostalgia is lost on the older generation.In other words what comes around goes around. Kids now who travel in New Airsteams will be nostalgic on the current models. They won't associate their good times with a current vintage 50-80's model.

I take my Family in our new one and my son Loves it. In 20 years he will look at our "late" model with "soul" and will look for the times that have gone by and want to relive those memories. So don't fret...There is no losing of soul,,,,it's all about PERCEPTION.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote