Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Now, I find lots to like about this article, except the price point. The whole reason we bought a trailer is because I wanted to camp, but didn't like the idea of portapotties, OR, even worse, pooping in a hole!

Having a nice tent and fancy bathroom is my cup o tea... I'll cook and such myself though! Sooo.... that's why we bought our Argosy.... our own bathroom, and fancy tent.

Thanks for the article Steph!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Nice article Steph!

sure like the glamping idea, whatever it takes for more people to enjoy the great outdoors.

These are the people who now will fight, forward legislation and donate to save these beautiful lands that are in such need of preservation.

I've read similar articles about the growing popularity of luxury yurts in remote areas. VIPs do not want roads that lead just anyone to these places. They search for privacy and therefore save the wilderness!

I'll stick to our AS but go glampers!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
I don't begrudge anyone the fruits of their labor. But raising your children like this will probably make them into rotten, spoiled, useless, brats; which will grow up to be rotten, spoiled, useless, adults.
I must agree with you. Instead of selling marshmallows/smores the kid should be learning about generosity and giving those treats away to fellow campers. Life is not always about where you can get your next dollar. Poor kid.
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED
I must agree with you. Instead of selling marshmallows/smores the kid should be learning about generosity and giving those treats away to fellow campers. Life is not always about where you can get your next dollar. Poor kid.
What, am I the only one here who had a lemonade stand as a kid! Considering his fellow campers were paying $595/night to stay in a tent out in the woods complete with maids and butlers, I think he was exercising his entrepreneurial prowess. The fact that he couldn't get $10 for them taught him an early lesson about market demand. In the end, he found a price the market would bear.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Now, I find lots to like about this article, except the price point. The whole reason we bought a trailer is because I wanted to camp, but didn't like the idea of portapotties, OR, even worse, pooping in a hole!

Having a nice tent and fancy bathroom is my cup o tea... I'll cook and such myself though! Sooo.... that's why we bought our Argosy.... our own bathroom, and fancy tent.

Thanks for the article Steph!
Marc
I'm with you. My idea of roughing it is a camp site that doesn't come with a sewer hook-up!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Gosh no you are not. I sold seeds door to door to get my premium, my first plastic box fixed focus camera. I sold loomed pot holders and soap decorations I had made up and down the block. Maybe I missed my true calling, hey, whatever did become of the Fuller Brush Man these days? My bet he isn't doing any "gamping." But I would love to, so if anyone wants to send an underpriviledged "kid" to gamp, I will make myself available.

It's all relative in the grand scheme of things. To backpackers, car and tent campers, I am certain they do not think we are really camping either in our Airstreams.

Steph, we really enjoyed the link and looked up The Resort at Paws Up and watched their videos and looked at all the accommodations and drooled!

Good point Kimili, I hope that the parks and land is supported and protected by those that can be of assistance and persuation and realize the wonderful resources that must be maintained.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We are planning a safari to South Africa in a few years and a business acquaintance has been on several to Kenya and South Africa and she recommended a couple of these type of "glamping" safari commpanies as the only way to go. They really aren't all that expensive, yet, and this is what we plan for our kids...maybe our youngest can sell some smoores and help defray the cost!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How very cool for you and your family! I did think of Out of Africa when I saw the resort. Not hard to take at all.

Good luck on that income venture, btw.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
What, am I the only one here who had a lemonade stand as a kid! Considering his fellow campers were paying $595/night to stay in a tent out in the woods complete with maids and butlers, I think he was exercising his entrepreneurial prowess. The fact that he couldn't get $10 for them taught him an early lesson about market demand. In the end, he found a price the market would bear.
Good point. You know the lemonade stand thing occurred to me after I typed my marshmallow sharing comment. I, too, am so glad the parents and the child had the opportunity to experience a little more of the great outdoors than was their habit.

The other thing that got my attention in the article is they said he and a friend made a sign that said "Animal Center. Take'z 5$ to get in." My thought when I read the article was that this kid thinks only about money. While that still is possible I also realize that the reporter may have focused on the whole money issue and has only included information that serves his point(s).

My giving away marshmallow/smores comment is also tempered in my own mind this way.... I do think it is very important to get kids to think about sharing and giving selflessly. We experienced the other side of that, however, when a friend of mine who works VERY hard to get her kids to give selflessly, had her kids send one of their toys home with my daughter EVERY time we came to visit. My daughter soon started expecting all of her friends to send one of their toys home with her when we visit. Not so good. I had to have a heart to heart discussion with my friend and my daughter.

Mrs_RedSHED
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #30
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great article!

Its always fun to read about other folks' adventures!

I know the next time we're boondocking I'll be thinking of that shower with the slate floor
Old 08-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #31
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I agree with you that this article was all about the lavishness of this type of camping and the money issue was front and center. I would imagine that the home life of this family was really much more "normal" than the glamping would have portrayed.

We are planning to take our kids on a safari in a couple of years that will probably be the biggest event in our children's growing up years. We are waiting until our youngest is old enough to really remember it because it will be so unique. Since it will be unique, we want it to be special and especially the accommodations. I don't want any disappointments from any family member and luxury tents look like the best way to assure that. The companies that have been recommended to us are on par with Paws Up but the per night rate is much more in line with a upper end hotel room here in the U.S. and that includes the meals. The biggest expense will be airfare. I assure you that my family's lifestyle is no where near what the lifestyle of this family's lifestyle is portrayed.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I gotta say this - when my parents looked at Airstreams being pulled often by the very high end cars of the day like Cadillacs, New Yorkers, Thunderbirds and Lincolns etc. while they towed their humble SOB behind a plain Jane (no personal offense to any Jane's on the Forum or inferring in any way that Jane's are less than equal to non-Jane's) Plymouth or Ford station wagon loaded with kids, instruments, a mother-in-law, and all, they would have considered those Airstream owners as glamping for sure.

It's all in perspective - the article is a fun read, and the number of folks who get to play that way is pretty tiny. And the kids, well, lets hope they grow up to be investment advisers and help manage my retirement funds so I too can make lots of money .

Lot's of fun, keep the articles coming. They help me feel better about myself with my Airstream (even though it's ancient) as friends head out with their pup tent and foam.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Way back in the Sixties my Mom would load up the VW beetle with my Sister, Me and the dog and we'd go to Calif. Beach campgrounds. .65 per night.

One time our garage sale tent was set up and we were eating our Hot Dogs and Mac and cheese. at Carpenteria State beach and I saw my first Airstream.

It was towed by a Rolls Royce. A big black one and their Butler was serving the owners hot dogs and mac and cheese.

My Mom leaned over to my Sis and I and said. "See, youre eating just like rich people."

Since I now have an Airstream and still eat Hot Dogs w/ Mac and cheese. I guess I'm rich. Maybe not financially but I sure am rich in style.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #34
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Maybe not financially but I sure am rich in style.
I'm a firm believer in the words of Nando, "If you look good, you feel good, and daa-ling, you look maar-vo-lous!" Ah, words to live by.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #35
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Do you mean here?

I went out to check on my property yesterday. It is across the road from you guessed it Paws up. THey are one of my neighbors. The ranch is formerly Charles Lindbergh's private ranch. His grand son has property in the area as well. Maybe one day he will stop by!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0010.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	43765  

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Since I now have an Airstream and still eat Hot Dogs w/ Mac and cheese. I guess I'm rich. Maybe not financially but I sure am rich in style.
Barenaked Ladies said it best:

Quote:
If I had a million dollars
We wouldn't have to eat Kraft Dinner
But we would eat Kraft Dinner
Of course we would, we’d just eat more

Gotta say, no matter what I think of 'glampin', you gotta love that name - Paws Up!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Truth is, now that I'm retired, and now that I don't have to fly on business, and now that I don't have to stay in hotels, and now that I don't have to sleep on strange beds, I don't care whether owning an Airstream is "real" camping or not - it suits me just fine and it's all the luxury I could ever want or need! Driving down the highway, with the trailer in tow, and with a big grin on my face, makes me master of my world and as independent as I could ever hope to be!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Pity them all.....actually sleeping in a tent when they could be sleeping in an aluminum tube!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #39
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I guess we'll be "glamping" this weekend. We are staying at Topsail Hill State Park in Destin, FL...yes I said State Park. If you've ever stayed there, you know what I mean.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I have always been told that "camping in an Airstream is not REAL camping" from all of my buddies.
This takes things to the extreme!
Anyway, I always thought we had a maid when I was camping. I called her "Mom".
My kids now have one of those too!
PLEASE, take the kids on a "Queen MOM" camping trip, where they wait on her hand and foot. Character building and will come in handy if mom ever has her appendix out. (Or just goes on strike!)

Paula