Old 08-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I have always been told that "camping in an Airstream is not REAL camping" from all of my buddies.
This takes things to the extreme!
Anyway, I always thought we had a maid when I was camping. I called her "Mom".
My kids now have one of those too!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #16
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
This article inspires so many rants in me, I don't know where to start (and probably wouldn't be able to stop).

Old 08-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wow, just goes to show there are all kinds out there....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
This article inspires so many rants in me, I don't know where to start (and probably wouldn't be able to stop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Wow, just goes to show there are all kinds out there....
As I put my asbestos coveralls on, I just don't see what everybody's getting so upset about.

I'll admit I'm not going to pay $595/night to sleep in any tent, king sized duvet or not, but I see nothing wrong with it. As the article says, it's really no different than Dude Ranches of the '50's and '60's. If you compare lifestyles of then and now it is the same type of thing, just on a more modern scale.

This kind of thing has been around for years. More than twenty years ago when I moved to Atlanta I remember the "yuppies" going to concerts in the park and having catered picnic baskets with folding tables and chairs, linen table cloths, fine china, crystal, and silver with silver candlesticks, and fine wine. No different just different activity.

Besides, I told my wife I thought I saw some reporter type nosing around the golf cart at Ft. Wilderness ovn July 4th while I was grilling the fillet mignon on our stainless steel gas grill and sipping that rather fruity pinot noir.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Besides, I told my wife I thought I saw some reporter type nosing around the golf cart at Ft. Wilderness ovn July 4th while I was grilling the fillet mignon on our stainless steel gas grill and sipping that rather fruity pinot noir.
Ah-ha! They're in our midst - I should have known!

I just got such a kick out of people who have so much money, just beyond imagining to me. I think even if I had money I would not spend it like this, which just shows I apparently don't have imagination enough.

Just think if those folks had to dump their own waste! Oh wait, I forgot, it probably smells like roses

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
As I put my asbestos coveralls on, I just don't see what everybody's getting so upset about.

I'll admit I'm not going to pay $595/night to sleep in any tent, king sized duvet or not, but I see nothing wrong with it. As the article says, it's really no different than Dude Ranches of the '50's and '60's. If you compare lifestyles of then and now it is the same type of thing, just on a more modern scale.

This kind of thing has been around for years. More than twenty years ago when I moved to Atlanta I remember the "yuppies" going to concerts in the park and having catered picnic baskets with folding tables and chairs, linen table cloths, fine china, crystal, and silver with silver candlesticks, and fine wine. No different just different activity.

I don't begrudge anyone the fruits of their labor. But raising your children like this will probably make them into rotten, spoiled, useless, brats; which will grow up to be rotten, spoiled, useless, adults.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Now, I find lots to like about this article, except the price point. The whole reason we bought a trailer is because I wanted to camp, but didn't like the idea of portapotties, OR, even worse, pooping in a hole!

Having a nice tent and fancy bathroom is my cup o tea... I'll cook and such myself though! Sooo.... that's why we bought our Argosy.... our own bathroom, and fancy tent.

Thanks for the article Steph!
Marc
Old 08-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Nice article Steph!

sure like the glamping idea, whatever it takes for more people to enjoy the great outdoors.

These are the people who now will fight, forward legislation and donate to save these beautiful lands that are in such need of preservation.

I've read similar articles about the growing popularity of luxury yurts in remote areas. VIPs do not want roads that lead just anyone to these places. They search for privacy and therefore save the wilderness!

I'll stick to our AS but go glampers!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
I don't begrudge anyone the fruits of their labor. But raising your children like this will probably make them into rotten, spoiled, useless, brats; which will grow up to be rotten, spoiled, useless, adults.
I must agree with you. Instead of selling marshmallows/smores the kid should be learning about generosity and giving those treats away to fellow campers. Life is not always about where you can get your next dollar. Poor kid.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED
I must agree with you. Instead of selling marshmallows/smores the kid should be learning about generosity and giving those treats away to fellow campers. Life is not always about where you can get your next dollar. Poor kid.
What, am I the only one here who had a lemonade stand as a kid! Considering his fellow campers were paying $595/night to stay in a tent out in the woods complete with maids and butlers, I think he was exercising his entrepreneurial prowess. The fact that he couldn't get $10 for them taught him an early lesson about market demand. In the end, he found a price the market would bear.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Now, I find lots to like about this article, except the price point. The whole reason we bought a trailer is because I wanted to camp, but didn't like the idea of portapotties, OR, even worse, pooping in a hole!

Having a nice tent and fancy bathroom is my cup o tea... I'll cook and such myself though! Sooo.... that's why we bought our Argosy.... our own bathroom, and fancy tent.

Thanks for the article Steph!
Marc
I'm with you. My idea of roughing it is a camp site that doesn't come with a sewer hook-up!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Gosh no you are not. I sold seeds door to door to get my premium, my first plastic box fixed focus camera. I sold loomed pot holders and soap decorations I had made up and down the block. Maybe I missed my true calling, hey, whatever did become of the Fuller Brush Man these days? My bet he isn't doing any "gamping." But I would love to, so if anyone wants to send an underpriviledged "kid" to gamp, I will make myself available.

It's all relative in the grand scheme of things. To backpackers, car and tent campers, I am certain they do not think we are really camping either in our Airstreams.

Steph, we really enjoyed the link and looked up The Resort at Paws Up and watched their videos and looked at all the accommodations and drooled!

Good point Kimili, I hope that the parks and land is supported and protected by those that can be of assistance and persuation and realize the wonderful resources that must be maintained.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We are planning a safari to South Africa in a few years and a business acquaintance has been on several to Kenya and South Africa and she recommended a couple of these type of "glamping" safari commpanies as the only way to go. They really aren't all that expensive, yet, and this is what we plan for our kids...maybe our youngest can sell some smoores and help defray the cost!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How very cool for you and your family! I did think of Out of Africa when I saw the resort. Not hard to take at all.

Good luck on that income venture, btw.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote