Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Arrow Any younger couples in this forum?

I know, I know..you are only as old as you act and feel, but on a serious note I have noticed that there is a shortage of 20-30 year olds catching the A/S bug. My wife and I being 24 and 29 respectively would like to eventually going to rallies, but due to the distance away from home, and the length of the rally it makes it difficult with working schedule (Especially military). Is there anyone interested in trying to create a group for the working younger family who may or not have small children?

Just a thought, and meaning no disrespect to anyone outside the age range I listed.

SM
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
my wife and I are mid 35 and 40 with a 9 year old and a baby, i too hope to meet people with kids wanting to camp. My avatar PCC is for Pickens County Campers, our version of what the Tuttles made famous. We are comprised of a couple the same age with kids the same age...and thats it. I visited a rally recently and although I was entralled at the AS and counldnt wait to hear the stories about them, a camper stating "your kids will have 75 grandparents here!" scared my kids a liilte bit. I think you have to start by looking here, or next door, and get a few people to go join a group with you. At least thats our plan, if younger folks dont get involved soon, this great passtime could become a past time!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm in the 18 to 50 range, I sometimes act like a kid - does that count?
On a serious note, Yes there are others, I have heard that same basic question from others. They are out there, but seem to be a minority and probably widely scattered. Hope you find some in your area.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
our regular camping buddies are in the 40 to 50 range with kids around 10.

we all still work so we have the same problem with finding enough time! if you ever get up wisconsin way i'll buy ya a cold one!

john
Old 11-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Lynn and I took our newborn camping the summer she was born...in a tent. She is 35 now with her own family. So whether it's in an Airstream or tent camping is a family adventure for all ages and I don't think it will never disappear. So you young'uns need campground baby-sitters? I hope not

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
I grew up tent camping the Blue Ridge Parkway in the 70's. My kids go with me everywhere, just as i was taken. We left Tampa and hit the parkway 2 weeks a year. When the opportunity to move to the mountains came my parents lept!! Thier only regret was that we quit camping and started building a house, etc....so we are going to try and keep going. john hd...if i get that way I'll take you up. and we do have cold ones in the south if your ever down this way!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

Well, we have been to several different group rallies out here in the "wild" west... most of them have had a wide variety of age groups and folks with and without kids! You know what I think ~ go to a forum rally no matter what, I bet you will have fun! If you can't find one...start your own. Post a question if folks in your area could meet at a certain date & place and go for it! It doesn't have to have a lot of activity, just camp together and have a potluck! Everything else can be on your own. We are retired folks, but everyone we have met at a rally, young or "senior" have been great fun! Hey, we all share aluminitis!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh yeah, they're here...

course, just as I was thinking "we", I remembered that I am 39 now! Most of all my friends and co-workers are in the 10 yr younger crowd, but really, at this age, it doesn't make a difference. You'll love the forum rallys, all ages, ALL FUN! Actually, I've held my tongue many times, I keep wanting to tell them "don't try this at home!" You'll find a group that you fit in with, but don't judge them by age, I think all of us act the same age......

Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:44 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
soldiermedic,
We are kind of young middle aged I have been told more than once to grow up A couple of things come to mind, one is the people in the age group you specified are just starting out and may be on a restrained budget...I know I was at that age, and may not be able to afford to RV at this point in their lives. I tent camped from right out of high school right up until my 40th birthday when my new wife decided it was too much work and bought a fully loaded popup. The Airstreams came a bit later, and they keep on coming

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Life's a journey, a progression most of the time. As a couple, we started out car camping. Then, we got better gear and went backpacking. Next came the VW Westfalia Camper for longer trips with more amenities and protection from the weather. Now, with the Airstream, we think we have reached the pinnacle of luxury traveling in the great outdoors. But, time will tell whether this is really the last step in the progression.

We didn't get our VW until we were 45/46 and the Airstream came along when we turned 60/61. Depending upon family circumstances, finances, etc. other people might take steps in the progression at younger ages. That's fortunate, but whatever you do, just get involved and get started on the journey. The people you meet at each step of the way will be the same "age" as you.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:00 AM   #11
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
36 and 37 here with a 7 month old. bethany's been camping in our AS since she was 2 weeks old! she's got almost a dozen trips under her nappy now, as well as 5 states (Ga, Al, NC, Ky, and Tn). we're ticking off Fl in january (rally near destin!)

bethany really seems to like the airstream. when she was really little, and practically inconsoleable (the stage of parenthood i DON'T look forward to reliving), she would always calm down in the trailer. we'd end up sitting in the trailer in the back yard, rather than in the house. i think she'll be a camper for life.

i HOPE so, anyway! i would love to restore a trailer for her one day.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I noticed that the new trustees for the Wisconsin Unit of the WBCCI were all younger family people who still hold down regular jobs. I look forward to the changes that must and will be coming up in the future for our unit.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:54 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Howdy from Alberta,

My wife and I are 33/32 respectively and have a 2.5 week old daughter. I hear you on the age of airstreamers. We have opted not to join the WBCCI for a few reasons and the after speaking with the group leader up here, I'm sure I don't want to be involved at this time.

We have a couple of friends that have Tab trailers however and in our area. That demographic seems to be similar to Nic and I and they seem to have the same type of affliction to tin that we have...just a different strain of. That said I have met a couple WBCCI peeps in our travels in their 50's+ and they were awesome to hang out with.

In terms of a specific group for younger airstreamers...I dunno...I quite enjoy the banter that happens between all of the demographics on this site. I think if a good size contingent of "younger" streamers were to attend a rally and create some other activity options, that would be a great time.

my 6:52am thoughts,
b.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:00 AM   #14
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I am 45 and have no kids, but have been known to "borrow" some, especially for camping. I have two little camping buddies that go with me at times, ages 6 and 10. They always have a great time and really enjoy meeting the other kids at rallies.

The family that has organized the rally in Destin the first weekend of Jan. is a younger couple with a 2 1/2 yr old cutie. Come join us. It will be great fun! Devoman is his forum name.

We also have a rally planned in North Georgia the weekend of April 20-22. We usually have folks of all ages, kids a-plenty, and dogs too. Everyone is welcome and we always have a wonderful time!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
37 & 38 with 10, 7 & 5 year olds. We definately lack common age Airstreamers in our area (or common age campers for that matter). We do have a couple our age around the corner from us with a pop-up but we never seem to have the same weekend's free.

Interestingly, the RV industry shows the 30 - 50 set as the fastest growing age bracket for RVing. I do think the perceived high cost of an Airstream (many of our friends don't know their still made and assume vintage units are very expensive) keeps people in SOB.

On a related side note, I just received a copy of RVXtreme magazine. It's targeted to this "new" RVing age group and seems to recognize that lack of content and resources for younger campers (still working). While it is a little heavy on product reviews that most 30 something can't afford (Marathon Coach, Safari Class A Toy Hauler) but the lifestyle articles were about sand rails, mountain biking and camping with kids. Much more my speed. It seemed to be a good first effort at this demographic.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
A funny thought

Ya know what....I may not be in my own post demographic by the time I get this thing put back together .
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:42 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Forgot to add I am 46 and my wife is old enough for me just a hint she is 9 months and X years younger than me

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
White Heath , Illinois
We are in our early 40s and our boys just turned 7 and 10.

We have always been tent campers, and my friends in their 20s and 30s are infrequent campers at best, and then in tents. I find that dragging friends along with us is the best way to create new campers. But I don't see them buying an RV -- too expensive, too difficult to store, and they won't use it enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe later in life, when they're mature like us.

If we were going to keep doing the camping we've been doing -- short trips, county and state parks -- we would have stuck to the tent. We only bought an RV because we have some long, cross-country trips planned.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Any younger couples in this forum?

Young is relative!
My dad is 93 and thinks that younger means 70ish.
I'm 48 and so my idea of younger means 30ish.
I have an 18 year old son - he thinks that younger means 15 year olds.

So just exactly when is it that we begin to think we're "old"?
I asked my dad - he's not sure, but says he thinks that when you stop planning for the future, dreaming up stuff you'ld like to do and when you stop looking forward to the adventure of new experiences, you're old.

So.... who's old?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
SM---I understand your desire to meet and mix with other Airstreamers your age. It's true "birds of a feather flock togather". Each age group has their particular things in common with one another. Older folks are the same way, different generations even speak different languages to some extent, enjoy different music and entertainment etc. That said, to exclude each other is to miss out on some great things we each have to offer the other. From my limited observation,we of the "Older Generation" are more guilty of this than you that are young. I know there are exceptions but the WBCCI folks I've been around, not so much in words, but in actions say, "children are not welcome''. We reciently attended a top of georga fall forum gathering with all ages, lots young folks with their kids. It was great!!! This was after we had been to a WBCCI rally. The WBCCI rally was fun but was, quite frankly, "Sterile". There was "Nothing" for any young people and I'm sure that's the way they wanted it. I really think if this thinking is ever to change it will be due to the efforts of the "Forum Members to seek change and encourage mix. ----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote