Old 03-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Soldiermedic,
Welcome to the forum.

Get the basics completed. Never use the word done in conjunction with restoring an older airstream. We've had ours 2 years and find something new to fix or repair each time we go out.

As for ages, above 40 and lower than 60, and we've been to forum rallies and wb functions, and enjoyed ourselves at both. As in every thing else, it's how you percieve the people and they percieve you. Just go and get involved, don't hang back. I remember my first functions and it took awhile to feel comfortable, but I've not met a crabby person yet regardles of the ages of the people who attend. Many old timers forget what it's like to be new, and they tend to hang with the familiar not really meaning to ignore the new or younger person. I'm sure there are exceptions to this statement, but for thre most part airstreamers like to talk aluminium and about what they've done or not done to thiers.

Thier is usally a pot luck meal, happy hour where each person brings a snack to share and good stories, questions and answers.

Come on out to play.

Marie

Old 03-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #72

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
SuEllyn is 57 and I am 58. We have four young boys, aged 37 down to 28. Two of them are Eagle Scouts. We've done a lot of tent cmping. We are still young, aren't we??

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #73
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Yes, you guys are young, since we've met I can attest to that!

I have friends that are the same age as Cathy and myself but they sit on butts don't do much and let their profiles get larger as the years go by.

You really are as old as you feel, but if you're sedentary you will feel older and in certain cases look older

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #74
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
This age demogaphic poll may give you a little insight as to Airstreamers ages...
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tudy-1988.html
This is likely skewed, the folks in the poll over 60 are less computer savy to have partisipated perhaps

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
glen ellyn , Illinois
Send a message via MSN to lilmouse Send a message via Yahoo to lilmouse
I think one perspective is "I am XX years old, am I the only person my age who is obsessed with my airstream?"
I am 33, my girlfriend Maria is 33, another friend- Joel is our age as well. None of my close friends, co-workers, or family members own a travel trailer, much less understand the joys of the rv and camping lifestyle.
My friends, my husband's friends, and a few other people we know from where we work are die-hard tent campers who believe tent camping is the only way to go. My husband was the same way when he was 30.
Spending one weekend in the trailer (in the rain, hanging out comfotably on the couch, watching movies, munching on doritos) was all it took and my beloved husband to change his mind.
Now I bet there are some other 33 year olds somewhere in the world who may own an a/s or SOB. I just have to find them. I know I'm not the only one! Lol!
But that's my opinion.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #76
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Yes, you guys are young, since we've met I can attest to that!

I have friends that are the same age as Cathy and myself but they sit on butts don't do much and let their profiles get larger as the years go by.

You really are as old as you feel, but if you're sedentary you will feel older and in certain cases look older
You have that right...people think I am 10 years younger than I really am, because I am almost always on the go and enjoying myself no matter where I am or who I am with. I just hope it holds out for another 30 years or so In fact I have so much fun some people have accused me of being A)immature and B) having a bad attitude because I don't take too many things seriously.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'm 32, and I've had my camper for 2 years, so I was 30 when I bought it. I'm also single, never married, no kids, one cat.

Definitely out the range of your average Airstreamer.

When people look at me funny when I tell them I have a motorhome, I just think, "I don't care - I'm driving an Airstream!"

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I found a rally in my area in July that we're going to attend. We'll see what we think of it, and if we want to join the club then. What we really enjoy with our airstream is getting away to some of the more rural national park areas, checking out wildlife, hiking, and having the really dark sky at night for stargazing adds a lot. Sometimes we're lucky, and will have another family with kids in the area. Vacation time is precious, and I don't know if I could ever see us planning a vacation to attend a rally far away unless it was to a place we wanted to go to anyway.
I think a big reason we don't see as many young families with airstreams is due to the cost. When I was in my 20's and single, camping with a trailer was not on the top of my list for things to do. In my late 20's, and early 30's we were more concerned with starting a family, and buying an airstream just didn't fit into our financial structure. I'll bet this is the biggest reason we don't see very many people in that age group trailer camping. I was in my late 30's before I started looking at a trailer, and we just bought our first airstream last year at the age of 40. I think for others the point where they can justify the expense may come after their kids are grown. I remember when I was looking at used trailers I spoke with this really great older man in his mid 80's. He was selling his 89 airstream since he, and his wife couldn't go out anymore. They had been very into the airstream club scene, and camping just about everywhere since their kids were small. He said that he thought younger people just weren't as club minded as they were in the past. He's probably right, while we're interested in this it's not at the top of our priorities for our free time.
Charlie
Old 03-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
The older I get, the younger it seems. Age is a state of mind is it not?
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 03-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
We are still young, aren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
SuEllyn is 57 and I am 58. We have four young boys, aged 37 down to 28. Two of them are Eagle Scouts. We've done a lot of tent cmping. We are still young, aren't we??
I think so!!..Steve and I are both the same age as you 2..our 'young' boys are 33 and 29 3/4!..
Old 03-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #81
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Savannah , Georgia
My girlfriend and I are 26 and 27, just quit our "steady" jobs and are hitting the road. She's a jewelry designer, I'm a writer. Looking to get a 74 Land Yacht any day now....
Old 03-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
Fort McMurray , Alberta
We are young-er. I am 29 and my boyfriend the big 4-0. We are in Northern Alberta and would love to know if there are any others from the region??? We anticipate getting out quite often this summer amidst our house building....
Air #12102
Tin Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #83
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob80
My girlfriend and I are 26 and 27, just quit our "steady" jobs and are hitting the road. She's a jewelry designer, I'm a writer. Looking to get a 74 Land Yacht any day now....
Welcome to the Forums Jacob80! Young or old you will find lots of friends and plenty of info to go around!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #84

Currently Looking...
Santa Barbara , California
My husband and I are both 40-something, but have a 3 year old so feel pretty young (hanging out at Disneyland and Chuck E. Cheese will do that to you!) We tend to hang out with people of all ages (20's-70's)-let me tell you, I know some 60-70 year olds that are way more "young" and "fun" and "cool" (and can swim/hike/bike under the table) many of my sedentary 20-something cousins in Eastern MT where I grew up! So I am a firm believer that age is all a state of mind!

We're out here on the "Left Coast" and would love to find a 60's/early 70's small (16-20 ft.) Airstream to fix up. We would take a new one if it was in our price range of around $5,000 too (ha, ha) It would then be taken to all of the coolest places, like the Burningman Festival, The Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Jackson Hole,WY where I used to live, the High Sierra Music Festival, Lightning in a Bottle, Moab, Bryce Canyon/ Glacier/ Rocky mountain/ Yosemite /Sequoia/ Crater Lakes/ Olympia/ Yellowstone National Parks etc. in what spare time we can scare up (we manage to do it a lot!). Rallies sound like a lot of fun too-especially in some gorgeous location previously mentioned!

Tent camping kind of loses it's charm once you have a baby...especially in the rain! We tried the vintage pop-up thing, but it takes the 2 of us 20 min. or so to set that up and during that time our now 3 year old is performing death-defying stunts while we are otherwise occupied!