Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
I echo the sentiment of some of the others. We are in our later 50's with 6 grown kids that we took tent camping, popup, hybrid and then the pinnacle of the AS. I work full time but have the luxury of taking off all the time I like, especially if I have internet and cell phone capability (I normally work from home).

Looking at the pictures of some of the rallies makes me think we might be too young for them. I guess I hate to admit I am getting to where others don't want to hang with me because I am too old

My wife is very shy and meeting new people is hard for her. When we hit an RV park, we usually do so with another couple in a SOB, go out to dinner and lunch and daytrip. On our own, we boondock by ourselves.

Maybe someone can give me some compelling reasons to join the WBICC as this group in NorCal seems nice.
Please come join us at Casini Ranch the last weekend of April! Your wife will be 'embraced' immediately and you'll both add to our growing family!
Our NorCal group is all inclusive, ages from 30's to ahem, ...I think but I'm not sure ...late 60's ...only because some retirees...?? but then I'm kinda retired, but not really...and I'm 55. There are families, couples, singles...I think we're rounding out quite nicely! We have a 7' cowboy, firefighters, court clerks, lawyers, artists, ex secret military spud launchers and chef wannabees you name it...all make for great fun. There's some talk of making an official Wally Club, but be assured it won't be a typical one...I think we're rebels!~ we don't go to bed at 8:00pm!

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I was actually looking at eh Casini Ranch outing as it looked like a good size group and a nice area. Unfortunately (or fortunately), my son-in-law is graduating from college that weekend so we have to go to that. I was thinking about the French Camp outing but nobody signed up to go.

I will try and get our lives in order to make some outing this spring/summer. Can we just show up for the Friday and Saturday nights as getting too many days off is tough with my travel schedule
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
"Any younger couples in this forum? I know, I know..you are only as old as you act and feel, but on a serious note I have noticed that there is a shortage of 20-30 year olds catching the A/S bug. My wife and I being 24 and 29 respectively would like to eventually going to rallies, but due to the distance away from home, and the length of the rally it makes it difficult with working schedule (Especially military). Is there anyone interested in trying to create a group for the working younger family who may or not have small children?
Just a thought, and meaning no disrespect to anyone outside the age range listed. SM"

We feel the same way - we're in our VERY early 30's!!
Unfortunately, we live too far but hopefully someone will start that club and we'll all join.

In the meantime I highly reccomend the New England Unit for folks on the East coast!! They're all young at heart, working and lots of fun!!!!!!!!!

Thinking of moving up there just to Airstream morewith such great folks
Old 03-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI
In the meantime I highly reccomend the New England Unit for folks on the East coast!! They're all young at heart, working and lots of fun!!!!!!!!!

Thinking of moving up there just to Airstream morewith such great folks
Where do I send the check?

Thanks Kimili, the NEU is a wicked fun group, even if I do say so myself.

Hope to see you guys at a rally our two this year!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Today March 9, 2006 is the 30th anniversary of my 39th birthday. I believe that this will be my last year of adolesence. Next year I will begin being a grown up.....
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Well, Happy 30th Anniversary of your 39th birthday Neil!!!..cheers to you and hope you have another 30th Anniversary of your 39th birthday..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
38 and 44 with a wee one on the way in days. We have found that forum rallies are usually full of young and young at hearts with lots of vintage trailers and loads of good food. (it really is all about the food) NEU actively caters to people with families with activities for ALL ages. You just have to go and check out different rallies in your vicinity and see who is there.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
We are 50 and 54 and have been to 5 get togethers (rallys and notreallyrallyrallys) with Forums folks in the past two years. Some were even WBCCI members, although we are not, and age has never been an issue. There were couples with kids as young as 1 or 2 and couples with grandchildren. It has always been about friendship, having a good time, and of course, all that beautiful aluminum.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
38 and 44 with a wee one on the way in days. We have found that forum rallies are usually full of young and young at hearts with lots of vintage trailers and loads of good food. (it really is all about the food) NEU actively caters to people with families with activities for ALL ages. You just have to go and check out different rallies in your vicinity and see who is there.

Kathleen
congradulations on the wee one...
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #70
parrothead

1977 31' Sovereign
Cherokee , Kansas
My wife is 34 and I'm 38 (but she says I act like an 18 yr old). We have 3 young boys who all love to camp. Planning on making the maiden voyage in the Airstream when we go to the NASCAR race in Dallas next month. Boy, I have a lot of work to do!
parrotheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Soldiermedic,
Welcome to the forum.

Get the basics completed. Never use the word done in conjunction with restoring an older airstream. We've had ours 2 years and find something new to fix or repair each time we go out.

As for ages, above 40 and lower than 60, and we've been to forum rallies and wb functions, and enjoyed ourselves at both. As in every thing else, it's how you percieve the people and they percieve you. Just go and get involved, don't hang back. I remember my first functions and it took awhile to feel comfortable, but I've not met a crabby person yet regardles of the ages of the people who attend. Many old timers forget what it's like to be new, and they tend to hang with the familiar not really meaning to ignore the new or younger person. I'm sure there are exceptions to this statement, but for thre most part airstreamers like to talk aluminium and about what they've done or not done to thiers.

Thier is usally a pot luck meal, happy hour where each person brings a snack to share and good stories, questions and answers.

Come on out to play.

Marie
Old 03-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #72

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
SuEllyn is 57 and I am 58. We have four young boys, aged 37 down to 28. Two of them are Eagle Scouts. We've done a lot of tent cmping. We are still young, aren't we??
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #73
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Yes, you guys are young, since we've met I can attest to that!

I have friends that are the same age as Cathy and myself but they sit on butts don't do much and let their profiles get larger as the years go by.

You really are as old as you feel, but if you're sedentary you will feel older and in certain cases look older

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #74
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
This age demogaphic poll may give you a little insight as to Airstreamers ages...
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tudy-1988.html
This is likely skewed, the folks in the poll over 60 are less computer savy to have partisipated perhaps

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
glen ellyn , Illinois
Send a message via MSN to lilmouse Send a message via Yahoo to lilmouse
I think one perspective is "I am XX years old, am I the only person my age who is obsessed with my airstream?"
I am 33, my girlfriend Maria is 33, another friend- Joel is our age as well. None of my close friends, co-workers, or family members own a travel trailer, much less understand the joys of the rv and camping lifestyle.
My friends, my husband's friends, and a few other people we know from where we work are die-hard tent campers who believe tent camping is the only way to go. My husband was the same way when he was 30.
Spending one weekend in the trailer (in the rain, hanging out comfotably on the couch, watching movies, munching on doritos) was all it took and my beloved husband to change his mind.
Now I bet there are some other 33 year olds somewhere in the world who may own an a/s or SOB. I just have to find them. I know I'm not the only one! Lol!
But that's my opinion.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #76
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Yes, you guys are young, since we've met I can attest to that!

I have friends that are the same age as Cathy and myself but they sit on butts don't do much and let their profiles get larger as the years go by.

You really are as old as you feel, but if you're sedentary you will feel older and in certain cases look older
You have that right...people think I am 10 years younger than I really am, because I am almost always on the go and enjoying myself no matter where I am or who I am with. I just hope it holds out for another 30 years or so In fact I have so much fun some people have accused me of being A)immature and B) having a bad attitude because I don't take too many things seriously.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'm 32, and I've had my camper for 2 years, so I was 30 when I bought it. I'm also single, never married, no kids, one cat.

Definitely out the range of your average Airstreamer.

When people look at me funny when I tell them I have a motorhome, I just think, "I don't care - I'm driving an Airstream!"

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I found a rally in my area in July that we're going to attend. We'll see what we think of it, and if we want to join the club then. What we really enjoy with our airstream is getting away to some of the more rural national park areas, checking out wildlife, hiking, and having the really dark sky at night for stargazing adds a lot. Sometimes we're lucky, and will have another family with kids in the area. Vacation time is precious, and I don't know if I could ever see us planning a vacation to attend a rally far away unless it was to a place we wanted to go to anyway.
I think a big reason we don't see as many young families with airstreams is due to the cost. When I was in my 20's and single, camping with a trailer was not on the top of my list for things to do. In my late 20's, and early 30's we were more concerned with starting a family, and buying an airstream just didn't fit into our financial structure. I'll bet this is the biggest reason we don't see very many people in that age group trailer camping. I was in my late 30's before I started looking at a trailer, and we just bought our first airstream last year at the age of 40. I think for others the point where they can justify the expense may come after their kids are grown. I remember when I was looking at used trailers I spoke with this really great older man in his mid 80's. He was selling his 89 airstream since he, and his wife couldn't go out anymore. They had been very into the airstream club scene, and camping just about everywhere since their kids were small. He said that he thought younger people just weren't as club minded as they were in the past. He's probably right, while we're interested in this it's not at the top of our priorities for our free time.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
The older I get, the younger it seems. Age is a state of mind is it not?
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
We are still young, aren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
SuEllyn is 57 and I am 58. We have four young boys, aged 37 down to 28. Two of them are Eagle Scouts. We've done a lot of tent cmping. We are still young, aren't we??
I think so!!..Steve and I are both the same age as you 2..our 'young' boys are 33 and 29 3/4!..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote