Old 11-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
...I have noticed that there is a shortage of 20-30 year olds catching the A/S bug. ....Just a thought, and meaning no disrespect to anyone outside the age range I listed.
No offense taken. Unfortunately, age is one of the first characteristics we notice about other people, whether young and old. From this, we infer their competencies, beliefs and abilities. To note a person's age in our social interactions is not inherently offensive -- it is the consequences of such differentiating that can be harmful.

Good luck in your search for people to camp with in your specified age range. Note, you are missing out on alot by these self-imposed limitations.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rivet Not imposing limitations

By no means am I limiting the ages of people attending rallies or camping events. The major intent of the thread was to find other A/S owners in similar situations as my family, (two full time workers, very young children at home).

Old 11-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Like Tin Sista, I've camped with the elders too. I brought my 78ish Mom to my first forum ralliy and will bring her to the next. She prefers to hang around the trailer, but she loves it. Seeing the kids, like A-Merry-Can's little baby Bethany and Devoman's darling girl Breanna, just makes her day. She could care less if someone wonders what this "old lady" is doing out with a bunch of upstart Airsteramers. She would much rather be around a diverse crowd of all ages than what she calls a bunch of "stuffy old grayhairs." Watch it Mom, I'm getting some grays now too.

We haven't gone to a WB rally yet, so I can't speak for the WB crowd. But I know the forum population reflects a wide range of ages and backgrounds. We all just meld together in one big aluminum melting pot. No pomp and circumstance, no protocol. Just come as you are, do as you please, be yourself, and have fun. Can't wait for you to join us at a rally, soldiermedic.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We are in our early 40s.
But I still party like i'm 20! .....well, mabey 30 ...never mind, it's bed time .
Old 11-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Can't wait for you to join us at a rally, soldiermedic.
I can't wait either, but will have to unitl I win the lottery and can buy a road worthy A/S or figure out what it will take to get this one complete.

One thing for sure, I really can't wait to get out and see all those other silver twinkees surounding us and some serious food. I didn't try out for "The next food network star" for nothing!

SM
Old 11-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
SOLDIERMEDIC

We are 32 with a 7 and 5 year old. My wife won't let me build houses new or fix-up. Something about living in a construction zone all the time. I don't get it, so I needed an outlet for my building obsessions. And hey think of all the cool tools. So in 30 years when I get this done we'll come out and see you.

1/3 of the pan is removed. Frame not to bad.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
By nature of this being a forum, the average age is lower than the average age of Airstreamers in general. Lots of like-minded folks here online ~

Most of the older airstreamers who get to go on those long caravans and/or full-time are retired and have less desire to rally vicariously on the forums. Why would they...they are doing it - we're just looking forward to the day we can too!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
I can't wait either, but will have to unitl I win the lottery and can buy a road worthy A/S or figure out what it will take to get this one complete.

One thing for sure, I really can't wait to get out and see all those other silver twinkees surounding us and some serious food. I didn't try out for "The next food network star" for nothing!

SM
I understand. Getting a vintage Airstream ready to hit the road is a deal, especially when you've just discovered frame issues. If a forum rally happens anywhere you wouldn't mind going, I want you to know its like 2air says. You would be welcomed with open arms, Airstream in tow or not. Drop-ins are welcome and even tents are allowed. Its not a requirement for you to have an Airstream in hand to rally with this bunch, we know where your heart is!

Aluminocentricity
Old 11-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hmmmm

Hey Sugarfoot,

We would definately have to go when the weather is perfect. I can't see the misses roughing it without "Facilities" for her or washing our 2 year old. If my welder comes out tomorrow and is able to give me a good estimate, then perhaps we will be off to a good start, but when I started taking the pan off and wet rust was falling everywhere it was very discouraging.

If I have to end up doing a monty I will have many vintage 68 parts. A control panel, the cabinet door latches, all the storage tubs from under the gouchos, etc. My largest concern is what Andy at Inland stated....to replace a floor the shell needs to be removed. I dont have a crane, so that is out of the question, and I don't want to risk safety on the rig. I hope I dont end up giving up on this thing.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Yeah, got to keep the family comfy, and keeping a 2 year old clean is a major job in itself. I hope for you that your welder is kind and gives you an estimate within reason. Good luck, and hopfully you won't have to do the full monty.

Aluminocentricity
Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
My largest concern is what Andy at Inland stated....to replace a floor the shell needs to be removed. I dont have a crane, so that is out of the question, and I don't want to risk safety on the rig. I hope I dont end up giving up on this thing
It shouldn't be too hard to rig up an A-frame type of system to haul it off the frame a bit, then pull the chassis out from under it. No crane needed in my opinion. See what others have done. I hate to see you give up on it.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Getting together with people your own age is the least of your concerns.
Everyone that has an Airstream is SPECIAL. And there are specials in every age. Do we have any Female only ... age of 35 to 40? I have a special male friend 40. It is difficult to meet someone in this age bracket. Remember to enjoy LIFE.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
24 Hours Later You Are Wanted By The Forums !!

Hi SM,

Would ya look at that?! Less than 24 hours after your post and this post #41!! You have found THE place to be. You'll find help for your Q's and support from those who've already been there. I'm confident you and your family will enjoy a casual rally and to echo a previous comment....just come as you are & with what you have. You are most welcome and your wife might find the shower/restroom facilities not all that bad. So please do consider coming to the Midwest Forums Rally in June. (in Leroy, between Bloomington & Normal, IL) Family friendly, it's sheduled AFTER school is out for the summer. Some attendees are from the STL, MO area.

Not at all offended,
Ol' suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
So please do consider coming to the Midwest Forums Rally in June. (in Leroy, between Bloomington & Normal, IL) Family friendly, it's sheduled AFTER school is out for the summer. Some attendees are from the STL, MO area.
It's funny. My A/S would essentially be at the PO's residence if I was able to have it ready for that rally (doubtful). I picked it up in Champaign, IL just a stones throw away from Leroy. Weird.