Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
????? And the streetside is standard on all? most?.....right, rong??????

Bob
As I understand it, the curb-side awning is standard. The street-side awning is an option, at least on the Flying Cloud series.

But I haven't been right about much in this thread so far
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #42
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl View Post
As I understand it, the curb-side awning is standard. The street-side awning is an option, at least on the Flying Cloud series.

But I haven't been right about much in this thread so far
I went to the Colonial site after posting, and noted that all models that I checked had the curbside listed as standard.

I was considering some add-on's, but haven't been able to rationalize the cost, not to mention the added holes in the skin.

Bob
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I went to the Colonial site after posting, and noted that all models that I checked had the curbside listed as standard.

I was considering some add-on's, but haven't been able to rationalize the cost, not to mention the added holes in the skin.

Bob
And do be careful who installs the awnings: on close examination last summer, we noticed some missing/loose rivets on the leading end of our main awning (34' Ltd) and found that the awning apparently had been a wee bit too long and was installed in the skin only (aaaaghhh!), a really awful accident waiting to happen. Fixed now.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have always had curbside awnings on my campers, use them mostly all the time, sometimes we don't in cooler temps.
We have a camper because we like to sit outside and the awnings make it so much more comfortable and comes in handy for those rain bursts that sometimes like to appear, of coarse if it is raining we like to set outside anyways.
As far as wind they can withstand winds and gusts up to about 20-25 mph before it becomes a problem, except if it is a wind hitting directly on the side of the trailer.
I have tie downs on mine to keep the twisting from happening, it handles winds up to about 40 as long as it is not a direct side wind. If it is going to be a serious storm or wind storm then they get rolled up and we sit in the patio canopy where the picnic table is, it is also anchored. Mine being a 34 has the long 25 curbside, with short window awnings on bedroom curbside, rear, streetside, then longer 12 on the living area window. The thing about the window awnings is they keep the sun from waking you up on the mornings you want to sleep in, and always keeps the boss happy because she does sleep in.
As far as rolling up everytime I leave the trailer does NOT happen unless I know there is going to be a storm, This is what insurance is for.

You might want to talk to Jackson Center because I believe you can get the window awnings on all their trailers because they are designed to fit the ribs, they are small so not much weight on the body. Not sure about the newer trailers shorter than 25 because I have never had one.
I am wondering about an change on our 34 though from the manual roll down to a electric Girard like what is on most motor homes. They also make them for camper towables, this way it has the wind sensor and will roll up on its own in strong winds and is remote/button control instead of the manual.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We just had the street side awning installed on our 27FB Safari during its visit to the Jackson Center mother ship earlier this month. Cost was the same ZipDee quoted us for the awning and installation. The local Airstream dealer wanted to see the trailer before giving us a quote. We expect the new street side awning will help keep the trailer cooler this summer. Shading the windows from the early morning light will be another benefit as my boss also likes to sleep in "occasionally". We are pleased with the installation job at JC.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote