Old 09-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Thumbs up Any intrest in a Airstream fix-it book?

As many of you know I have recently purchased a ’68 Trade Wind and have began the process of getting it into top form. Like many, I have found the forum to be extremely valuable as a source of information. However, it can be cumbersome to search effectively and needed information is often dispersed throughout various threads and there is a significant amount of off-topic chatter adding further to the difficulty of getting the information that a person is looking for.

Having said that, and being an academic, I would like to solicit feedback on the level of interest in a “publication” designed to cover the situations encountered by a Airstreamer. I envision a series of chapters covering tow vehicles, towing, electrical, gas, flooring, complete restorations, and so forth. For each chapter the format would include a general overview of the topic followed by more focused discussions where warranted.

Specific feedback I am seeking includes: 1) would you find such a document to be helpful? 2) What specific topics would you like to see included? 3) What format would you like to see the document produced in (pdf, hard copy ect) and 4) Are you willing to act as a contributor to an edited volume?

Let me stress, I am not advocating a commercial venture here; rather, I am trying to gauge the need/interest in such a publication and ways to make it available if it is desirable. Anyway, there it is for comment. If there is sufficient interest I will start working on the outline and begin seeking contributors in the near future.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Rodney, I'm sure this would be particularly useful to new members. I would prefer the information to be on-line, rather than hard copy, for ease of updating for such matters as safety warnings and recalls. We have discussed this before, and my favored way forward would be to add a "frequently asked questions" section to each main forum. This could be prepared by a forum member with particular knowledge and experience of a particular forum sub-topic, with information distilled from, and supplying links to, relevant threads. This would be subject to approval by each moderator.I would be prepared to do the FAQs for the Rock-climbing, kayaking, fiddle playing and single malt forum.
Nick.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
Craftsman

I think a harbound copy of such a book is an excellent idea. I don't carry a laptop with me and this would be something that you coud access at home as well as on the road.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Post Yes, Great Idea

I think sections on each pertinent topic like A/C, wheels, tires, hitch, rust, frame, windows(with the problems and fixes outlined for each type), etc. Maybe a year by year or group by group as the designs change sections on what to check before or after you buy. Make sure and put topics, how to assess the problem and possible fixes down.

Online or hard copy, I don't care as long as you could print it.

Super idea.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
First,
Great idea!! I am a hard copy nut. I love books.

One thing I saw mentioned already but can not be stressed enough is the differences in the body styles. Each evolution of our beloved beauties has it's own challenges. That may make a all encompassing volume hard to do. Maybe setting it up like an encyclopedia with a volume on each body style??
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Rivet Airstream Restorers Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Specific feedback I am seeking includes: 1) would you find such a document to be helpful? 2) What specific topics would you like to see included? 3) What format would you like to see the document produced in (pdf, hard copy ect) and 4) Are you willing to act as a contributor to an edited volume?
For the newbies a primer on A/S restoration may be really helpful. For the advanced DIY crowd I think that the amount of info would require a huge volume (or 2). Using the forum topics as an outline I'm guessing you would have at least 15 chapters. To include different model years plus TTs and MHs each chapter would require dozens of variations on the items discussed.

I feel like I would buy it if the exhaustive volume were done really well, as a complete restoration manual (if that's even possible). I may even pay up to $75.00 for it.

It should talk about everything, like: restoring your plumbing to PEX, swapping an axle, rebuilding/upgrading brakes, fans, univolt, appliances...essentially a full monte cookbook for every major variation of A/S.

The primer idea may be more viable though.

BTW: My wife works at a library and sends out stuff to be bound every week. I recently had my 2 manuals bound together for $6.00

http://www.airforums.com/photo...?i=9776&c=3128
http://www.airforums.com/photo...?i=9775&c=3128

See ya,

Steve

p.s. General, if I were called into service I would be honored to write a section in the restoration manual.
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I think it's a good idea--as craftsman said, it would be nice to have as a resource on the road--for the times the libraries are closed!

I see it as more of a general how to manual

1) would you find such a document to be helpful?

yes

2) What specific topics would you like to see included?

repair, trouble shooting for different parts/systems, cleaning and maintenance.

3) What format would you like to see the document produced in (pdf, hard copy ect)

hard copy--spiral bound

and 4) Are you willing to act as a contributor to an edited volume?

unfortunately I have no expertise to contribute as yet!

you could parcel out the chapters to different forum members.

there are tons of self publishing houses--you prob could do it for $10 a copy. I'm a soapmaker and my soapers' forum did this a few years ago--it was a fun project.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

For an example of the FAQ system with multiple links, here is an excellent one that Femuse did in April 2003 on "Towing"
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=4426
Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
During my training to be a yoga teacher, we dealt with a phenomenal mountain of information that changed frequently as our guru became ever more enlightened about every little thing on the planet.

So we had the binder approach. It's a VERY thick binder. The foundation's clerk types keep track of the changes and, when there are enough, we get a new packet of pages with instructions on which ones they swap in for.

It's a very easy system for even my disorganized butt to hang in there with. It probably would require a subscription of some sort.

But here's another format that also works very well: As an artist, I do up to a dozen art fairs a year & so I subscribe to the annual Art Fair Sourcebook, which is spiral bound & perfectly organized with tabbed sections. It's pricey at around $190 a year, but it's worth it for the hard-core fair circuit riders because it's cross-reference by show date, application deadlines, location, rating, etc. The good thing is that, if you're feeling poor, you can kind of go by last year's edition if all you want to know is the show's contact person or web site.

My priority would be pictures so I KNOW what a window clip is.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Airstream Repair Manual

Although it is not Airstream specific, I recently purchased a 1989 copy of Bob Livingston's RV Repair and Maintenance manual for quite a discount on www.half.com, and found it very helpful in working with some of the systems in the 1986 34' Airstream Limited I just purchased. Lots of pictures and pretty easy to follw info. Of course material specific to just Airstreams, I have looked for on this forum. I am finding it, but will second the comment about the fact that it is not always easy or fast to locate. But then again, I am a neophyte and may not have figured out the search function very well yet

Cheers,

Lee
Old 09-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Why not have it available both in book form and CD?
My 2 cents........

Barb
Old 09-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I think it's a great idea. So much information is here in the archives, but is SO hard and time consuming to find it, and when found, the info is usually embedded in lots of chat. The chat is fun reading, but when you need INFO and fast, it gets in the way. Like Till, I'm a book nut too and think this kind of volume would be a jewel in my library. By the way, if you are going to compile this from the forum members, you'll need other kinds of help. I would volunteer to work as an editor of sections for general writing. I'd not be much help editing for technical correctness of the topics however!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
One thing I think you would need to be careful of is that there are a number of differing opinions on how to do things - especially when I comes to polishing......

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Yes, interested, in .pdf form. Not sure how you'd account for the great differences model-to-model, and year-to-year, though.