Old 08-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Any help on the TEN YEAR rule in parks?

Hello everyone,

My husband and I have a 1969 refurbished Overlander.

We have been running into a TEN YEAR rule in many parks, especially in the Southern California area. We live and travel in our trailer full time..here's the situatin.

In 2002 we put $15,000 into our "baby" and redid the furnace, water heater, refrigerator, cabinets, floor [replaced a large section with new wood] outside skin, added two Fantastic Fans and several other items to bring the trailer up to peak condition - though thankfully it was very close when we purchased it.

The skin is in mint condition and the tow hitch, rear bumper and all outside components are in beautiful shape.

We are working in San Diego, California at the moment and staying in a nice park here, thinking we would be staying for close to a year - however we just learned today that the park has a ten year rule and after our first month [coming up in a few days] we will have to leave because our rig is older than ten years.

The thing is the park has 120 spaces and probably one third of those are well over ten years, but these are permanents. We are wondering if there's anything we can do regarding this - and/or if we do have to move ultimately what we can do at another park since most of the parks within a fifty mile radius of our work here have this same new 'law' in effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any responses,
escapees

I have enclosed a pic of our rig....
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Short sighted

I can look at the two SOB trailers parked on both sides of mine and they are not only pretty ugly to start with, they are both starting to show and tear at one and two years old respectively. In ten years, they will look terrible. Age isn't nearly as good of a criteria for predicting appearance as is quality.

With a unit as pristine as yours, I'm surprised that the management won't bend a bit and let you stay on. Others have posted in the past that they were able to get exceptions when the management could see their Airstreams.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Suggestion

I've not done this so, I couldn't really say for sure but....

I remember reading it said someone else ran into this very problem..All they did was say it was less than 10 yrs old..(to them..lol) The people at the park office couldn't tell otherwise and, they were able to stay there..
If your unit looks as nice in person as it does in the photos..I surely don't see how they could tell it's not over 10 yrs old..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

I can't tell you how much I agree about how some of these trailers look at only a year or two! That is the very reason I searched high and low for an Airstream to begin with. I had no idea there would be age restrictions spreading like wildfire!

It's happening everywhere though and it seems that some parks do not bend even though they have long timers in their parks who's rigs are twenty years or more and look awful.

How can they do this if they don't do it across the board? And further is there any recourse?

It was to the point in Portland when we were there this last time that there was nowhere in the city we could stay at all when we told them the age of the trailer - they wouldn't even look!

It's a little crazy....
Old 08-02-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Escapeez!

I have towed my '64 Overlander extensively (mostly West of the Mississippi), and have run into the 10 or 15 year rule at a number of campgrounds - - usually refer to their campground as an RV Park or Resort. Unless specifically questioned, I do not divulge the model year or age of my Airstream. I haven't been turned away from a park yet, but my stays are generally less than a week. Even when the owner of a park discovered that my coach was nearing 40 years of age, she didn't ask me to leave as she and her husband "thought that my coach was an attractive addition to the park". From what I have observed about these rules they seem to have one of two intents; either to exclude old, poorly maintained coaches; or to exclude coaches that do not have gray tanks - - most of the parks that I have encountered with these rules do not permit tents or camping (tent) trailers.

Unless the management of the park has identified your coach as being non-complying or you are aware of a resident who may intend to report your coach; I would suggest taking a "wait and see" approach - - chances are the management has no real idea of just what model your Airstream may be. (IMHO)

Good luck with resolving your dilemma!

Kevin

P.S.: My '64 Overlander has also undergone extensive exterior and interior refurbishment as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curbside_1_after.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2498  
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

The question about the year of the trailer is the first question asked in all these cases. I have tried several responses from "our trailer has been rebuilt" to "the trailer is basically new" etc., etc....in some cases that hasn't mattered.

I think I'm just going to say it's a 2002 and be done with it - if they want to do an investigation then so be it eh?

Kevin! I do have a question for you on those propane tanks - where did you get them and could you recommend a good place with a good price??

escapeez

Andrea & Jai Steward
Old 08-02-2003, 04:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Andrea and Jai!

It sounds like they are getting more determined about their 10/15 year rules. I dread running into the situation that you describe, but am sure that I will sooner or later - - it was mentioned in another thread that a campground had asked to see the coach's registration to verify its age. I worry more when traveling with my Argosy as it still has its original paint (domes have been repainted multiple times), and is in need of new paint (on the schedule for 2005). I may be adding "insult to injury" by towing the Argosy with my very well preserved 1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible.

RE: Worthington Aluminum Tanks

I purchased the 40 pound tanks from AirstreamDreams.com a little over two years ago, and the Ruths (P & S Trailer Service, Helena, OH) polished the tanks when the coach was polished (the tanks had never been filled at that point). The tanks were purchased during the WBCCI International Rally in Sioux Falls, SD at a very reasonable rally special price; it is my understanding that they typically have very good prices on the Worthington tanks even when freight is considered.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 06:51 PM   #8
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by escapeez
I think I'm just going to say it's a 2002 and be done with it - if they want to do an investigation then so be it eh?

escapeez

Andrea & Jai Steward
Hi, Andrea & Jai!

You absolutely called it right. No one but another A/S owner would even know what to look for! Tell 'em its two years old and let them figure it out.

The ten year restriction has to do with trying to make the parks look nice. There isn't anything BUT an Airstream that would look nice after 10 years! So.... don't worry about it. As nice as yours looks, no one would question you anyway.

Best of luck!

Roger
Old 08-02-2003, 07:37 PM   #9
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325

The ten year restriction has to do with trying to make the parks look nice. There isn't anything BUT an Airstream that would look nice after 10 years!
You are exactly right on both points. But I hate to lie. Here is a suggestion, not sure were it will go. This is a problem only experianced by AS owners. And it is only AS that last that long and look that good that long, SO if some group were to put togeather a certification procedure, say sending in photos of all 4 sides and proof of waste tanks to receive a certified "age" of less than 10 years. Obviously would not be "Legal" but with the weight of a national organization behind it, it would probably work.
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 07:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

My trailer has a small manufacturers plate on it showing date of manufacture. If someone snoops around they could tell it is over 10 years of age.
Wayne
Old 08-02-2003, 08:08 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
If the park is that "rules" based I do not think I would want to stay there. I understand that parks can do business with whoever they want to, but the ten year rule seem to be an arbitrary way to keep junky looking units out. We would normally pull in and if they ask we tell them to guess. If the park management cannot tell then why would it be an issue? ONce they see it most places want a good looking airstream in the place. It classes it up!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:51 PM   #12
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i'm out too!

escapees,

i guess i'd get kicked out with you guys!

dumb idea on the campgrounds part. i'll go elsewhere!

mine is eleven years old.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	view from above close.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	2501  
Old 08-02-2003, 09:40 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
10/15 Year Rule...

When asked by a campground, on a previous post, someone said theirs was an 'anniversary' issue Airstream. The campground could tell the unit looked new and that was the end of it. It's their rule, they should do the leg work. Let 'em figure it out.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 10:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
I agree with everyone else. Lie to them. At my day job at the DMV, when someone comes in with an error on thier title or whatever, it's sometimes hell to pull all the refrence materials we have together and try to figure out what year a trailer is. I would think a mom and pop campground would have a hard time proving age. And if they figure it out, it's really thier loss...