Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2003, 09:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ant Problem!

About a week after we got our Overlander home, I started noticing ants (the big black kind) in the kitchen and around the front gaucho. I bought some of the Raid ant traps and set all four up throughout the trailer (which according to the package should have been more than enough). The directions said it could take up to two weeks before they are all gone. It's been 3 weeks and I'm still seeing them - not as many, but one is too many for my liking!

I believe the ants came with the AS. It was parked in the PO's yard under a tree and I noticed a lot of them on and around the tree. The AS is currently parked in our driveway, right beside the house and I do not want them to migrate in the house!

My husband is wanting to set off one of those bug bombs but I think I read somewhere not to do that....was thinking it was here but can't seem to find the thread. Any suggestions??
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You might try a different type of ant trap. We had a big ant problem awhile back and got both the white & black ones by Raid. They had different chemicals in each & being that I'm not a chemical engineer, I couldn't decide which to get...so I got both! They worked! Another thought is...the ones you got may have exceed their shelf life...good luck! I HATE ants!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Ants

I am trying one of the commercial preparations right now. Has been one week. It is one of those where the ants take it back to their nest. We'll see.

I currently park the airstream under trees; thought the shade would be better than the summer sun on the finish. The ants appear to come from the trees.

I am pricing covers as we speak.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Hope I'm wrong but big black ants are usualy carpenter ants. Their dinner is wet wood. Might start doing a through inspection for water damaged floors.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
We have the "sugar" ants. Little red ones and they get into everyting. I use fire ant granules anywhere the trailer touches the ground. Wheels, stabilizers, jack, electrical cord, hose and so on. This seems to work pretty well. The ant's take the granules back to feed the queen. The queen dies and the colony dies too.

Good luck,

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

59toaster - My husband fears the same thing. I truly hope that is not the case. We have inspected it pretty thorougly, and havent noticed wet wood but they seem to be coming from under the gaucho. We can't really tell what it's like at the rear of the gaucho.

I am going to try another round of traps as well as the granules. I am hoping they were feasting on the tree beside the AS and just made their way in.
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
If your goucho is like mine it's pretty easy to get it appart where you can see the floor. The water tank may be under it as well. Ours has drawers under it.

Pull the seating off. should be a few screws holding the plywood down. after you get the screws loose the plywood deck should come right up. If there is not enough room to get your fingers in around the ply wood, slide a drawer out and you can push up on the deck from below. Get a screw driver out and start pushing it into the floor and see if you find any soft spots. pay close attentions to the area where it meets the shell. That's the place that usualy get's wet first.

While the belly pan does a great job in preventing water from getting to the wood and insulation from below, if water gets at the wood from above it causes a big problem. The air can't circulate and the water just sits there.

Once the wood dries out the ants will leave. That's why I am concerned that you have some wet flooring.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote