Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Hermosa Beach , California
Another Craigslist Scam

I am presently seeking an Airstream 20-24 and this is what I ran into - a scammer that was willing to bilk a woman dying of cancer. Mind you, I am not, but when I quickly realized it was a scam, I wanted to see how far they would go. For your educational pleasure:
My Original Email

Hi Carrie,

I'm responding to your ad about the Airstream, but I"m a bit confused because I've seen the same ad listed for San Francisco, Tuscon and Memphis. Please let me know if this was an error. Where is the Airstream located?

Carrie's Response
Hello Anne,
My name is Carrie, I am emailing you regarding the '00 Airstream Bambi that I have for sale. The travel trailer is in pristine condition and it has never been involved in any type of accident. Also, tires are 90% good ,the title is clear and free of any liens or loans and the price is only $2,700! I'm selling my son's trailer, who died in Iraq four months ago and I want to sell it asap because the sight of it hurts too much. Put yourself in my shoes and you'll do the same...
The payment will be made through eBay protection program and only after you will receive the trailer, I will receive the payment.Below you can find a link with some pictures. I will wait your email(if you are interested in buying it) very soon,also you can call my husband Frank at : 785-783-5474.
Thank you,
Carrie and Frank Stepford

My Response
Hi Carrie,
I'm very sad to hear about your loss. At such a low price, I am surprised it hasn't already been snatched up.
My husband and I are very interested. Can you please tell me where the trailer is physically located, as we are in California and would have to make arrangements to pick it up. Depending on where you are, we wouldn't mind coming to you and doing the transaction in person.
Let me know what you think.

Carrie's Response
Hi again,
The trailer is at the shipping company in Topeka KS sealed and ready for shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. According with eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the trailer to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not. Here is how it will work:
First of all,I will need the following details from you: full name, full shipping address. After I have received these details from you, I will forward them to eBay. After they will process your info, they will send both of us invoices. On the invoice you will find all the instructions on how to complete this transaction. eBay will contact me and I will ship the trailer to you. After you receive the trailer you will have 5 days to test it, verify it and do whatever you want with it. If you are going buy it, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the money.
If you decide that you won't buy the trailer, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my trailer,all shipping fees will be paid by me. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Thank you,

My Reponse
It all sounds wonderful and almost a gift from God. You see, I've been going through extensive chemotherapy and after depleting most of our money, I've decided to stop. The doctors have given me no more than 3 months, so my husband and I are taking the last of our funds so we can travel this great land of ours that people, like your son, have fought so hard to protect. It would be an honor to take his trailer across the U.S. in his memory.

Let me know what we need to do to proceed.

Carrie's Response
send me your full name and address,and we ll get everything rolling

My Final Response
Wow, you really are amazing aren't you? You were prepared to scam a woman dying of cancer.

Did you know that there is no Carrie and Frank Stepford found anywhere in the U.S. through Intellus Search or the phone books? Did you know that the phone number you gave me belongs to a Richard Langston, not a Frank Stepford? Did you know that Frank Oz directed The Stepford Wives? But of course you knew all of this and more.

Allow me to share some articles with you for your awareness - cause you might have to change your MO, cause the Iraq thing has been used before.

eBay Answer Center: how to tell if seller is not scram ...
eBay Guides - Airstream scam....hook, line, and sinker

The internet is a wonderful and a terrible thing. It allows innocent people like us to be aware of notorious people like you, if we take the time But it also gives you the forum to trap people like me and cheat us out of our money.

I was onto you from the get go, but I just wanted to see how far you would go. You are a horrible, horrible person. You should be ashamed of yourself and truly consider how you are hurting other people. Not just bilking them out of their money, but destroying their hopes and dreams. Isn't there enough badness in the world without you contributing to it? I wish I had your parents email address so I could let them know what you're up to.

By the way, I reported this to the FBI - you may want to abandon that email address and phone number you gave me.

For shame!!!! You sully the name of our soldiers in Iraq and everythying they stand for.

whiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
same scam I posted a few weeks ago on a different trailer. These people are scum

ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Yes, I've seen them everywhere - they change the story a bit, but always a Bambi at a very very low price. I mark them all SPAM on Craigslist when I see them.
tawakoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
Raleigh , North Carolina
And yet another...

This was on Craigslist Raleigh (where I live) the other day:

In short, it's a 2003 22' CCD in mint condition (stored inside) for $11,000, which is about half of what they normally sell for. I emailed and said I'm in Raleigh and would like to see it. Here's their reply:

The camper is still for sale. it is in a great shape,no damages or hidden defects. it has a clear title, no liens. i don't know where you saw the post but i am located in Seattle, WA. You are welcome to see the camper every day between 12 AM - 6 PM(Monday to Friday) . Due to the fact that it was posted on many sites and states by my son i will offer free shipping for all states if it's needed. The price is $11000 which includes title transfer and temp tag to any state. Just drop me a line if u are interested

Thank you !

Reeks to high heaven to me...
Scott & Joan
2013 International Signature 27FB
2010 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4 5.7L
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The Santa Cruz Bubble is up for 2500 again....about 20 locations.
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Currently Looking...
Tacoma , Washington
Angry Guess I won't be sending my $2,600...

So that means this one is a scam too? Rats...

Thanks for being interested in buying my trailer!It`s in perfect condition,no scratches,damages, never been implicated in any accidents and the price is $2,600. It has a clear title, free of any liens or loans. Because of my divorce settlement,i own this trailer and as a woman without driver`s license and without a truck to tow it, i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible (that`s why i`m selling it so cheap). We will use eBay`s Vehicle Purchase Protection plan for our both safety,i want only legit transactions.Let me know where are you located,maybe we can organize an inspection.
Have a great day!
Joyki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
It`s not only them trying to sell a scam,I just posted a couple of items for sale on Craigslist .On 2 of them I got the deal where they will send me a cashier check,of course more than the item,send them back the extra.Then they will have a truck pick it up.
Yea right. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Great Job Whiggy.. Such a scam but fun for us as you played it through. I wonder what they thought when they read your final response.. sadly nothing im sure. These people are pond scum and this isn't the worst thing they have been involved in you can be sure. Thanks for sharing..

2014 Intl 23' FB
1959 Tradewind 24'
2011 Dodge Dually Crew
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote