Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Another age discriminating RV Park!

While I understand the topic of age discriminating campgrounds has been beat like a dead horse, I just wanted to post another non airstream friendly campground. It is on Lake LBJ in Marble Falls, TX and is called Sunset Point.

I went to reserve a place through the online system and saw where they didn't allow trailers over 10 years of age. I called to see if they could make an exception due to ours being an Airstream and in damn fine shape if I might add.

They said "no" over the phone and via e-mail told me their business is good enough without Airstreams and there is nothing they would do for me. Just pisses me off as it is the only place on the lake. Anyway, if someone would like to e-mail them and help support my cause, please feel free to shoot an e-mail to info@sunsetpointlbj.com. I was polite in my e-mails and all that I ask is that you do the same. Manager's name is Ed Robinson.

Thanks for the support.
Skycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This is an ever increasing issue in many areas. Marinas in New Jersey are no longer renting births to Wooden boats. In this case it is because an increasing number of them become abandoned at the end of season and the marina has to pay to have them removed.

Things come full circle. When young I was too young for lots of things now that I am old nobody want me either.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
You should have told them it was a 2002,doubt they would have known the difference. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Not trying to defend the CG or their policy but if it is applied to all trailers over 10 years old then it is not discrimination but is simply one of the CG's rules.

I stayed at this CG for a couple of nights back in 2007. The people working there made no attempt to be friendly or pleasant and in some cases they were actually rude. The space I was on was very steep at the beginning and then leveled out. In order to have the truck and trailer more or less level I backed the trailer up to the very back of the space with the back end overhanging some grass. The wheels were still on the space. Guy screamed at me that I was damaging the grass. When I asked how he said it would happen when I put down my stabilizer jacks. Explained that since I was only going to be there 2 nites I didn't intend to put the jacks down but it made no difference to him. Was told to pull up until no part of the trailer was over grass which I did. Meanwhile the people I was traveling with not only had their trailer over some grass the wheels were on the grass. Not one word was said. I had a Airstream and the couple I was with a Casita. Maybe they are anti-Airstream!
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
Well, it doesn't sound I would want to go there regardless of their "age" policy. Not worth associating with that attitude.
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have seen this rule several times at different parks, and to a degree can see some justfication in it.

But it seems to me that the issue really is - or should be - the condition of the trailer rather than its age.

Even where an age rule is stated, I think a lot of park managers allow older trailers to enter provided they are presentable in appearance.

Some parks even word the rule this way - ie entrance of older units at their discretion

Cheers ................ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
...if it is applied to all trailers over 10 years old then it is not discrimination but is simply one of the CG's rules.
To be picky, my opinion is that system-wide rules can absolutely still be discriminatory. They're just organized, broad discrimination towards an entire class (or in this case age) of trailer, instead of singling out an individual owner.

Apartheid, for instance. I realize that example has more gravity than whether I can park my Globe Trotter at a lake in Texas.

That said, I too can see it from an CG owner's point of view: if enough rusty Winnebagos were hampering the aesthetics of my campground, I too might be tempted to enact a broad rule like no oldies.

Much like "no dogs over 20 lbs," which is crazy considering big dogs are often quieter and more better-socialized.... it's just too bad these parks don't give themselves the discretion to make exceptions. They really shoot themselves in the foot.

They miss out on our revenue - and those of us with older trailers have to play "sour grapes" by pretending we didn't want to stay there anyhow. Nobody wins.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
On another note - when I read the title of the thread I was imagining it would be about a 55+ park, to which I was going to quip: if I'm not good enough for them at 36, they better not expect me to come back in 20 years time!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Maybe it's a good thing we have Airstream only parks!

Ellen
Rawfoodgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Never had this problem with government run parks. One more reason to skip private parks, particularly anything with "resort" in the name
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

Things come full circle. When young I was too young for lots of things now that I am old nobody want me either.
Awe HowieE, if nobody else will have you, you can park in my back yard for at least a couple of weeks!
Regards to you & the misses.
Joe
Old 07-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Awe HowieE, if nobody else will have you, you can park in my back yard for at least a couple of weeks!
Regards to you & the misses.
Joe
At last a place in the sun to warm my bones and the price is right. But then the last time I was in Fl I froze my "tokus" off.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
email

Skycop - I sent the following email to the campground on all of our behalf. I included the following pics to let them see what they will miss.....Tim

It has come to my attention that your campground would not give permission for a Vintage Airstream trailer to camp based on it being more than 10 years old. I am very much put back by your policy. You obviously don't have a clue what most Vintage Airstreams look like and are worth. On our travels through your area I will surely ovoid you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0111.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	106571   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0112.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	106572  

Name:	DSCN0040.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	106573  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Skycop - I sent the following email to the campground on all of our behalf. I included the following pics to let them see what they will miss.....Tim

It has come to my attention that your campground would not give permission for a Vintage Airstream trailer to camp based on it being more than 10 years old. I am very much put back by your policy. You obviously don't have a clue what most Vintage Airstreams look like and are worth. On our travels through your area I will surely ovoid you.
Trying to decide whether your trailer or your reply is more beautiful.

I'm declaring a tie.

Let's get 30 or so lovely vintage units to send him e-mails telling him how much rental he'll be missing out on, because they turned away the "scout trailer" that was searching for a new site for their monthly business meetings and quarterly rallies. Hit 'em in the pocketbook where it really hurts!

Paula
Old 07-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Skycop,
We sent them an email similar to tkasten above to mull over including photos. We asked that they at least change their policy to "We reserve the right to turn down any trailer older than 10 years of age without prior approval" and then request that photos of the unit in question be emailed or something.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Thanks so much for the overwhelming support. I have attached photos of "Rosie" our AS project, which I might add is finally just about finished (one more round of polishing should do her...and the awnings.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1539c.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	106664  
Skycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I too sent them a message.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #18
x

XXXX , XXXX
Airstream Friendly Park

I went through the same thing with a park up here in Canada. I sent them pictures and they allowed me in. I now own a campground and will allow all A/S regardless of age. Would love to look out on the park and see it shimering with polished aluminum. If you ever get north of the 49th send me a message and I will give you directions.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #19
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
Skycop,
We sent them an email similar to tkasten above to mull over including photos. We asked that they at least change their policy to "We reserve the right to turn down any trailer older than 10 years of age without prior approval" and then request that photos of the unit in question be emailed or something.
Wait Wait WAIT!!!

Thought your plan didn't involve towing?? Thought she was just going to the bay to be a summer house??

We think it would be a shame for you not to tow it and show it off.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Plans can change... It can be a summer home AND and traveling turd . We do hope to travel in it but we also need to re-coop the money we put into her so it may be a couple of years before she sees road grime. She will be kept in good running order in the meantime though.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote